Skip to main content

View Diary: "We're Going to Start This All Over Again," says Rep. Fleming (R-LA) of the Tea Party (56 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  I doubt there are all that many undecided voters (3+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    reflectionsv37, TomP, rubyr

    In probably about 80 percent of the voting public, all this did was reinforce existing opinions. It's the other 20 percent, the borderline and undecided voters, whose opinions an event like this can move.

    "The great lie of democracy, its essential paradox, is that democracy is the first to be sacrificed when its security is at risk. Every state is totalitarian at heart; there are no ends to the cruelty it will go to to protect itself." -- Ian McDonald

    by Geenius at Wrok on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 07:46:21 AM PDT

    [ Parent ]

    •  the difference (1+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      rubyr

      The difference will be in energy.

      After this, people see that their choice of rep makes a real difference in people's lives, and folks who might not go to the polls for an off-year or special election will turn out.

      And when people turn out, Democrats benefit more than Republicans.

      I am watching the Virginia governor's race with special focus.  I think if Cuccinelli does exceptionally poorly, an awful lot of 'conservative' Republicans will suddenly find some spine to stand up to the Tea Party.

      I'm contemplating a trip down to VA to campaign for Terry Mac, even though I'm personally not so fond of him.  Because his win will have ripple effects, and a big win can be leveraged in a number of very good ways.

      •  I agree that a Terry Mac win would be a (0+ / 0-)

        come-to-sanity moment for the conservatives (in as much as they can have one).

        Democrats need to get off their asses and vote. I have never understood why this is so hard for them. The Repugs go to the polls and that's why so many R creepoids are elected.

        Good on you for going to Va.

        "Southern nights have you ever felt a southern night?" Allen Toussaint ~~Remember the Gulf of Mexico~~

        by rubyr on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 08:43:19 AM PDT

        [ Parent ]

        •  First people need to feel like the (2+ / 0-)
          Recommended by:
          Geenius at Wrok, rubyr

          election makes a difference and that THEY personally can make a difference voting. It was interesting to see that black folk came out in droves when their vote was threatened by the repubs. They clearly felt that they needed to use it or lose it. Although in FL and OH they made a difference for Obama but not so much for dems statewide.

          Second people need something to vote for. In the above example people voted for Obama and for their vote. When Sen. Claire McCaskill won we have a minimum wage issue on the ballot. It made a difference for her and for us. So we need to look for ways to spark that turn out. Lessor of two evils isn't a guarantee of a spark.

          Third, why not USE some of that campaign money and educate the voters? Why keep the powder dry there? If, as it so often repeated, it is important about the SCOTUS why not highlight the SCOTUS's role in things like Citizens United and things that people all over might not like.

          It seems that all my life we have been bombing someone, teaching them a lesson. Every day I understand more deeply how violent we are. Violent to others and violent to ourselves. - Robert Olmstead

          by glitterscale on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 04:45:59 PM PDT

          [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site