View Diary: Obama statement on reopening of government and what's next on agenda (237 comments)

•  Time to rid ourselves of OBLIGATION to seniors (5+ / 0-)
    The challenge we have right now are not short-term deficits, it's the long-term obligations we have around Medicare and Social Security."
    So here we are with a couple of months before the next crisis and holidays and whatever so what better time is there to tackle the long term obligations of Medicare and Social Security?  It's this just a wonderful time to do that?

I'm sure seniors will just have loads of input in this process.

I am so thrilled that the Wall Street establishment won this gigantic victory so Obama has time to screw me before Christmas.

Hooray for cutting the OBLIGATIONS of Medicare and Social Security.  What a BURDEN we are to Wall Street.

•  Please stop whining and check out the (13+ / 0-)

propositions Dems are floating on changes to earned benefits.  There are zero cuts, several strong improvements, and this is the PERFECT time to get Republicans on record supporting Ryan's budget debacle.

And there are some entitlements that ARE a burden- oil subsidies, farm subsidies to factory farmers, tax breaks to outsourcers, the endless automatic increases to defense contractors who aren't fulfilling their contracts.

by I love OCD on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 08:27:37 AM PDT

•  Could you point to a good source on this? (1+ / 0-)
        I love OCD

It would be very helpful.

"Where some see a system for encouraging discussion . . . others see an echo chamber of bad grammar, unchecked stupidity, and constructive interference . . . " -- Ars Technica

by Rikon Snow on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 08:44:18 AM PDT

•  I'm getting shitloads of info from (0+ / 0-)

NPR, mostly their BBC programs, and many progressive sites on FB- Pragmatic Progressive, Liberals Unite etc.  start with PP, they link to other groups, add the new ones and you have a feed with amazing resources.  They even sort out the good HuffPo posts from the chaff.  John Fugelsang seems to have a direct line to inside data from the Beltway.  Upworthy's another good source- they focus on what the good guys are doing, not whining about the bad guys being mean.

by I love OCD on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 08:55:50 AM PDT

•  Because we all know chained CPI (1+ / 0-)
        VictorLHKOS

isn't a cut.

/snark

•  Because we've all seen chained CPI in (0+ / 0-)

a bill that passed both houses and was signed into law.  No?  Gosh, I was sure that happened in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and early in 2013.  It's all over the wreck list!  Damn that Obama, he's so weak he can't even get his favorite stealth plan enacted.  Next you'll tell me everyone still has their guns.

by I love OCD on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 12:34:04 PM PDT

•  Fribble you (0+ / 0-)

My SS isn't keeping up with rising grocery costs, and I have to foregoe medical care I need because I can't afford the 20% Medicare copay. The SS COLA for this coming year is expected to be the smallest ever because your home entertainment system hasn't gone up in price.

•  You funny. My home entertainment system is (0+ / 0-)

a less than new iPhone that serves as computer, screen, and sound system.  I can pay for the service because I have no cable bill, no Internet service.  My income is SS and a small stipend for playing the organ at a local church.  I live in a tiny place, drive a hand-me-down car I'm thrilled to have, spend 4.00 a week on entertainment, shop exclusively at the Senior Thrift Shop.  I'm not stressed about SS because Obama's had 5 years to gut it and has somehow blown every opportunity to do so, telling me it's dumb to get stressed every time some diarist needs to stir the shit.  The guy who's strengthening the safety net is the one I trust not to destroy it- actions, not words.

by I love OCD on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 03:58:15 PM PDT

•  ICYMI, we recently survived (0+ / 0-)

2 years with zero COLA increases.  It was hard.  My grocery shopping is the worst day of the week for me.  Filling my car is the second worst.

by I love OCD on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 04:01:02 PM PDT