View Diary: House stenographer: God told me to go into rant on House floor (325 comments)

•  Not to her family, and associated religious (4+ / 0-)

figures. She's not going to seek any help

•  I don't think she is either. I think she (5+ / 0-)

thinks she doesn't need any.

From the looks of it, her family agrees.

For the Dominionists and other assorted nut bags like them, Ms. Reidy is their number 1 Rapture gal.

I think she'll try to milk the publicity rather than seek therapeutic guidance.

•  She was taken to a psychiatric hospital (5+ / 0-)

and saw a psychiatrist who clearly did not admit her. So, he let her go home to care for two children and she has not even heard anything negative from her employer and plans to go back to work. Nor does she or her husband seem to be embarrassed by what she did. So I agree. She does not seem to plan to get any help. They think what she did was normal.

**Electing Republicans to the government is like hiring pyromaniacs as firemen. They all just want to see everything burn to the ground.**

by CatM on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 06:52:32 PM PDT

•  The threshold for involuntary admission (2+ / 0-)
        elmo, fiver

is quite high, being based I believe on the assessment that one is so out of touch with reality that one is a danger to oneself or others, and its not being met is not an indication that one isn't mentally ill. Most mentally ill people, both in treatment and not, are not institutionalized.

"Reagan's dead, and he was a lousy president" -- Keith Olbermann 4/22/09

by kovie on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 07:09:42 PM PDT

•  She could be mentally ill (0+ / 0-)

But that does not mean she is crazy or psychotic, either. I just don't feel I have to feign some deep abiding sympathy for her or must not hold her accountable for what she said.

by CatM on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 08:24:01 PM PDT

•  Knowingly or not she abused her position (1+ / 0-)
            a2nite

and now has probably lost it. I think that is likely to be more than sufficient "accountability" for her actions, so I'm not going to pile on.

I trash the other side as much as anyone here, including their followers, but we shouldn't forget that a lot of them are effectively in a cult from which they cannot easily emerge. Had she actually done something harmful or mean, it would be one thing. But she had a harmless (except to her) nutty, that's all.

"Reagan's dead, and he was a lousy president" -- Keith Olbermann 4/22/09

by kovie on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 08:36:42 PM PDT

•  It is cultish, I agree (0+ / 0-)

And we do see people on the left I consider just as extremist. I often wonder if there is a subset of people with a certain personality type that lends itself to that cultish fanatcism, and whichever direction they go depends on the happenstance of their birth.

by CatM on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 09:08:32 PM PDT

•  A lot of mentally ill people don't think that (1+ / 0-)
      fiver

they're mentally ill or need help, let alone seek it. So this isn't unusual, and not an indication that she's not mentally ill.

Personally, I believe that anyone so under the sway of an extreme religious or other belief system that they do and say things in public that are grossly contradictory to and have no connection to knowable reality AND are at odds with social norms are prime candidates for a mental illness diagnosis.

Which is why people who profess to believe in god, for which there is no proof, are not mentally ill because of it because a majority of people in our culture believe in god, whereas people who say that god has been talking to them are likely mentally ill, because very few people claim this.

"Reagan's dead, and he was a lousy president" -- Keith Olbermann 4/22/09

by kovie on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 07:07:49 PM PDT

•  i never said she doesn't think she's mentally ill (1+ / 0-)
        koseighty

i said her family and pastor don't think so. so there's no one that's going to try and urge her to get help. they think her behavior is normal. maybe the only thing she did wrong was letting the whole country know about it

•  No. this is wrong on many levels. You are basicall (1+ / 0-)
        koseighty

y saying that someone who disregards unspoken rules to which most people conform are candidates for mental illness. There are many, heck I will say most of us do this in some capacity but WE DONT REALIZE IT. It's easy to point to someone else especially when it such a brazen act but you have to consider that there is no inherent reason for you to make the decisions you do - it's mostly an agreed upon construct. Hence varying cultural norms. If someone is indoctrinated in a totally different viewpoint than even the mainstream it should be no surprise if at some point they cross that line and show their TRUE nature. Nothing mentally unstable about that.

Random case in point the amazing Errol Morris documentary 'Tabloid' about the woman who fell in love with and 'kidnapped' a Mormon and 'forced' him to have sex. Nothing crazy about her at all, but you can see easily how other people went off and called her crazy.

If I knew it was going to be that kind of party, I'd have stuck my ---- in the mashed potatoes! - Paul's Boutique

by DoctorWho on Thu Oct 17, 2013 at 08:45:25 PM PDT

•  it's perfectly possible this woman is not (0+ / 0-)

mentally ill. we really don't know enough about her, and hopefully never will as it's her private issue. but I can say from personal experience that kovie is right on several points.

Depending on the mental illness, very rarely does that person themselves recognize that they need treatment or have a problem. One, you think what you're experiencing is "normal", and two, sometimes symptoms of the mental illness episode are accompanied by feelings of euphoria and invincibility.

I'm bipolar. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 29 after an extreme manic episode. I believed I was an Angel, my parents were trying to murder me, and that I was about to replace Biden as Vice President among many delusions. It wasn't until I was in the mental hospital and on medication for several weeks that I finally realized these things I was absolutely convinced were true, were indeed just delusions.

Despite how crazy I was at the time, I was not involuntarily admitted because I wasn't a physical threat to myself or others (at least at that point). The only reason I was admitted was because, feeling invincible, I just signed the papers admitting myself not really realizing what I was doing....if I had, I probably wouldn't have.

So again, yes, we don't really know enough from this one episode whether she actually suffers from a biochemical imbalance like bipolar, but to say she is not mentally ill just because she wasn't involuntarily admitted is nonsense.