View Diary: Breaking down the votes from the shutdown's end (115 comments)

•  Southerland is definitely ripe for picking ... (0+ / 0-)

Interestingly, Webster, Buchanan, Diaz-Balart and Ros-Lehtinen all voted with the Democrats to end the shutdown and avoid default - likely because they know they're vulnerable.

We also have a good shot at picking off the seat of retiring (and now gravely ill) Bill Young. Sadly, my Congressman, Rich Nugent, is probably safe.

I vote we run Rick Scott out of Florida on a high-speed rail.

by ObamOcala on Fri Oct 18, 2013 at 07:39:54 AM PDT

•  He has a strong challenger (1+ / 0-)
      ChadmanFL

I would even make a push for DeSantis, Mica and Posey.  All three voted for shutdown and default.  All three won with less than 60% in 2012 against weak unknown candidates.  All three could be vulnerable in light of their votes if they had strong challengers as well.

This is your world These are your people You can live for yourself today Or help build tomorrow for everyone -8.75, -8.00

by DisNoir36 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 at 07:49:28 AM PDT

•  I really wish the FL Dems ... (2+ / 0-)
        ChadmanFL, Gygaxian

... and the national party would get their act together. I think with credible and well-funded challengers, even Nugent and Yoho could be beaten. Yes, both won with over 60% of the vote, and their districts have plenty of tea party sympathizers in them. But neither has had a strong Democratic challenger. The guy who ran against Nugent as a Democrat last time was a "perpetual candidate" - one of those local nutjobs who runs for whatever's available, from city councilman to president. He had no platform to speak of, held no campaign events, and could muster no financial backing. And he still got 32% of the vote.

I refuse to believe that in all of FL-11, which includes the entire city of Ocala, there are no capable candidates. You can't have any hope of winning a race if you won't even contest it!

I vote we run Rick Scott out of Florida on a high-speed rail.

by ObamOcala on Fri Oct 18, 2013 at 08:12:16 AM PDT

•  I'm in DeSantis's district (0+ / 0-)

It's a very hard district to crack.  Though we did have a reasonable showing here in 2012 despite running against a nobody who raised almost no money   I'd love to see Suzanne Kosmas run for the seat.  It would be a longshot, but worth a try.  Her landslide loss in 2010 had more to do with the national environment for Dems than running a poor campaign.  Though she seems uninterested in a comeback.

Intelligence agencies keep things secret because they often violate the rule of law or of good behavior. -Julian Assange-

by ChadmanFL on Fri Oct 18, 2013 at 08:34:42 AM PDT

•  Definitely not easy districts (0+ / 0-)

But considering Mica, Posey and DeSantis all voted to shutdown the gov't and default I'd say they were at least worthy of a look.  Add in the fact that the FL GOP will have Rick Snott at the top of the ticket and the time may be ripe to crack that nut.  58% against underwhelming and underfunded opposition is not what I'd call a strong showing.  I'm not sure how Obama did in those districts or what the registration breakdown is but the fact that they didn't crack 60% tells me they're somewhat weak.

by DisNoir36 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 at 09:04:31 AM PDT

•  Mica I just don't consider beatable (0+ / 0-)

He was my Congressman until 2002.  He's a smart guy, excellent campaigner, excellent with constituent services and is good at pretending to be a moderate.  In fact a few times I called his office when he was my Rep he personally talked policy with me.  I've never had that happen with any other officeholder.  I can't stand his politics, but if there's anyone who can beat back a challenge even in a tough year it's Mica.

I do think DeSantis can be beaten given the right circumstances.  He's a bagger through and through.

by ChadmanFL on Fri Oct 18, 2013 at 09:13:09 AM PDT