Skip to main content

View Diary: Cory Booker plans to bring marriage equality to Newark, no matter what 'dad' Chris Christie believes (54 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Booker was elected NJ senator. (1+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    Calamity Jean

    His constituents are NJ citizens. Booker is moving on from Newark.

    © grover


    So if you get hit by a bus tonight, would you be satisfied with how you spent today, your last day on earth? Live like tomorrow is never guaranteed, because it's not. -- Me.

    by grover on Fri Oct 18, 2013 at 12:46:09 PM PDT

    [ Parent ]

    •  And NJ isn't Wall Street either. (1+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      trumpeter

      Sure, it's a different make up than Newark but unless he's the mayor/rep/senator of a few blocks Wall Street isn't his constituency. They're the 1%, the other 99% need senators too.

      Spite is the ranch dressing Republicans slather on their salad of racism

      by ontheleftcoast on Fri Oct 18, 2013 at 12:50:37 PM PDT

      [ Parent ]

      •  Right, (3+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:
        I love OCD, Jay C, Tempus Figits

        Like only Everett is Boeing constituency or only Redmond (and the small pockets of downtown where its smaller offices are located) is Microsoft constituency.... Because people who work for those companies don't live all across Puget Sound?

        Much of Northern NJ empties into the city every morning to work (as does a sizable population of Connecticut). They have a vested interest in policies that affect NYC industries just as much as Maple Valley citizens care about what happens to Seattle, Bellevue, and Redmond industry.  Or Vancouver, WA citizens care about Portland industry.

        Many 99%ers work there too as clerks, administrative assistants, receptionists, etc.

        Walk into any of those buildings and most of those people are not high-flying 1%ers, but just folks trying to make a living.  But policies that affect the overall firm affect THEIR pay and job security too.

        I don't like Booker's financial policies and positions. But his constituency is larger and more invested in NYC's financial sector than you seem to think.

        © grover


        So if you get hit by a bus tonight, would you be satisfied with how you spent today, your last day on earth? Live like tomorrow is never guaranteed, because it's not. -- Me.

        by grover on Fri Oct 18, 2013 at 01:15:42 PM PDT

        [ Parent ]

        •  Oh come on (2+ / 0-)
          Recommended by:
          trumpeter, Calamity Jean

          You really think the clerks in Goldman Sachs are getting anything but the most meager of crumbs when GS gets billion dollar tax advantages from DC? Sorry, I'm not buying that tripe. Yes, they have a job, but they could have better ones if politicians like Booker fought for them instead of the owners.

          Spite is the ranch dressing Republicans slather on their salad of racism

          by ontheleftcoast on Fri Oct 18, 2013 at 01:29:43 PM PDT

          [ Parent ]

          •  Ask the little people who work for Lehman (1+ / 0-)
            Recommended by:
            Tempus Figits

            Bros how they feel about...

            Oh that's right, we can't.

            © grover


            So if you get hit by a bus tonight, would you be satisfied with how you spent today, your last day on earth? Live like tomorrow is never guaranteed, because it's not. -- Me.

            by grover on Fri Oct 18, 2013 at 03:11:16 PM PDT

            [ Parent ]

            •  Which proves my point (1+ / 0-)
              Recommended by:
              Calamity Jean

              If we'd kept regulations on Wall Street instead of letting them get their way Lehman might still be in business. Those jobs were lost not because we were "tough on Wall Street" but because they got to run rampant.

              Spite is the ranch dressing Republicans slather on their salad of racism

              by ontheleftcoast on Fri Oct 18, 2013 at 04:06:42 PM PDT

              [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site