View Diary: Covering the Mentally Ill. With Bullets. And Blood. (49 comments)

•  And that was probably enough. What I see in the (0+ / 0-)

video is lack of manpower.  So your obstinance in just wanting to blame and punish shows me you have no interest in solving the problem in mentally ill and police interface other than punishment and blame.

You can educate people all you want but that won't give them six more hands and 8 more legs. Manpower is a large missing link to proper handling of these situations.

_______

Only gun owners can control their guns and they say oopsie way too much. I lost it, I forgot it, it just went off. Support Gun Kill Speed Limits and Gun Ownership Speed Limits.

by 88kathy on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 08:52:25 AM PDT

•  What I see in the video is the cold-blooded (7+ / 0-)

attempted murder of an innocent victim.

You continue to assert without any evidence that more person-power would reduce the assaults and the murders, despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.  Thomas Kelly was beaten by multiple officers. The Cleveland assault was precipitated by having large numbers of officers on the scene.  There were many officers in Kayla Moore's apartment.  The person who was beaten to death in Bakersfield was assaulted by at least eight officers.

•  I am advocating a MIST team to handle the (1+ / 0-)
        marykk

situation. We have SWAT teams, we have HAZMAT teams.

You seem to think the police force is just using the mentally ill for target practice. I am saying you need to calm down and think about what will solve the problem.

by 88kathy on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 09:02:34 AM PDT

•  Wanting to blame and punish? (6+ / 0-)

It sounds like you've got the situation backwards. We've got the police punishing people. Some of us want accountability of those with power. At the very least.

•  I am saying that accountability is the least the (0+ / 0-)

very least. Set your sights higher much higher.

Don't you love my new newly thought of idea. Call the MIST team for handling these events.

They call the SWAT team for snipers, they call the HAZMAT team for bombers, we should be advocating they call the MIST team for subduing the mentally ill.

______

by 88kathy on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 09:06:54 AM PDT

•  Sounds like you are defending the officers cold (6+ / 0-)

blooded killing to me.  "Those poor officers, if only they had more manpower then they wouldn't have had to shoot first and send flowers later"

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 10:46:56 AM PDT

•  Throw, I am reading 88kathy's (2+ / 0-)
            88kathy, jpmassar

comment differently.  She is hoping that police will learn to recognize when they have encountered a mentally ill person, and would call in professionals to deal with them, rather than blaze away.

I don't understand why so often, police don't recognize mentally ill people, and handle them appropriately.

I live near Portland Oregon, and those cops have probably gunned down a half-dozen mentally people in the last couple of years.  One or two of them may have charged the cops with a knife, but that's still barely justification for gunning them down.

I despair at how poorly trained the police are, not to be able to tell that someone's mentally ill, and not be able to deal with them.

“The answer must be, I think, that beauty and grace are performed whether or not we will or sense them. The least we can do is try to be there.” ― Annie Dillard, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek

by 6412093 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 03:46:52 PM PDT

•  Exactly, they don't try to defuse a bomb on their (2+ / 0-)
              jpmassar, 6412093

own, they call the bomb squad. They don't try to take out a sniper on their own, they call SWAT.

I am sure the regular police would much rather avoid the paper work and call the MIST in to handle the situation.

I have been a strong union member all my life. And I always on the side of the worker being asked to handle a situation for which they are grossly unequipped. Two officers equipped with guns and flashlights are grossly unequipped and understaffed to deal with a mentally ill person.

Instead of punishing people, we need to understand the situation and prevent it from happening. I also worked for an airplane manufacturing company. Instead of firing people for mixing right and left parts, engineering made it impossible to make that error.

I think it is better to make it impossible to make an error and have double back up systems in place than to fire and imprison people. It's just my work experience that makes me think like I do.

by 88kathy on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 04:00:08 PM PDT

•  You can't train mindset and/or personality (3+ / 0-)
              6412093, CuriousBoston, jpmassar

disorder out of a wannabe cop. We need far fewer things being illegal, smaller police forces, and a far more in depth selection process. Legalize drugs and we could reduce our entire criminal justice system by 50% and still be overstaffed.

There can be no protection locally if we're content to ignore the fact that there are no controls globally.

by oldpotsmuggler on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 06:54:31 PM PDT