View Diary: Covering the Mentally Ill. With Bullets. And Blood. (49 comments)

•  You are jumping from one thing to another. (2+ / 0-)
    6412093, BlackBandFedora

Spontaneous gun fire is not caused by too many police on the job. If that is what caused it then we could just eliminate all police. Problem solved.

I am saying that passive resistance requires more man power than someone who cooperates. And mentally ill resistance is not an easy thing to handle and needs even more manpower.

We have SWAT teams, we have HAZMAT teams, why don't we have MIST teams? These are things you should be advocating not this righteous indignation belly aching. That gets no where and accomplishes nothing.

(Mentally Ill Subdue Teams)

________

Only gun owners can control their guns and they say oopsie way too much. I lost it, I forgot it, it just went off. Support Gun Kill Speed Limits and Gun Ownership Speed Limits.

by 88kathy on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 09:00:11 AM PDT

•  Which would help if they're called, etc. (6+ / 0-)

And we have those, they are people who work at mental health care institutions. If the police wanted they could call people to do just that. More people with guns is not the answer.

•  Why wouldn't they call? Why aren't you advocating (1+ / 0-)
        6412093

for them to call? If they are there, why aren't they being called? Why would a MIST team have only guns as tools? I think the HAZMAT team has more than guns.

Why is there so much resistance to having a MIST team on call form the various mental institutions? Why aren't you all screaming that they weren't called?

I don't think this connection has been made and you are so dug in to being 'right' on the internet, it will take you sometime to process this idea.

by 88kathy on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 09:33:40 AM PDT

•  I don't have any control over the police (6+ / 0-)

If I did then there wouldn't be an issue here. My point is that the resource you're talking about already exists, if the police were interested in using it they could. I'm not able to make them do that. I can scream all I want, it won't change anything. God knows I've screamed enough.

•  I might have missed it but I think I am the only (1+ / 0-)
            AoT

one talking about it. You haven't posted any links to it. It is like mist.

by 88kathy on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 09:42:33 AM PDT

•  Get it I missed the mist. (1+ / 0-)
            AoT

by 88kathy on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 09:42:57 AM PDT

•  The police are capable of calling the ambulance, (1+ / 0-)
          jpmassar

with trained people to recognize various diseases. From diabetic near comas resulting in death, to many forms of brain disease, paramedics and EMT's are the option.

The individual juristictions are perfectly capable of preparing the police, fire, and medical teams to work together. If the police would THINK, take one second to call for medical help.

Help Senator Warren. Encourage people to co-sponsor her bills, & the bills she has cosponsored. Elect Ed Markey.

by CuriousBoston on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 08:24:20 PM PDT

•  There needs to be a 'Tactical resolution" (1+ / 0-)
      AoT
      We have SWAT teams, we have HAZMAT teams, why don't we have MIST teams?
      Calming and subduing a mentally ill person is a slow, tedious process and will definitely not lead the evening news unless there is some bloodshed.

Who is going to get the high fives and free rounds of beer after that shift, the geared up sniper who ended the situation with a round to the dementia-suffering octogenarian's  temple, or the sweater wearing negotiator?

/snark

Disclaimer: Weapons of Mass Destruction and terrorists may vary according to region, definition, and purpose. Belief systems pandered separately.

by BlackBandFedora on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 05:58:37 PM PDT