View Diary: This old guitar (172 comments)

•  Alas, I don't. (2+ / 0-)
    burnt out, worldlotus

Serious old-brain syndrome here.

But I did notice the lower case. So the progression in C would be C  G  e minor  F?

I'd definitely get the stink-eye!

"Sometimes when things are beautiful, I just want to fall down." - begone's 4-year old grandson

by bwren on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 07:37:34 PM PDT

•  C G A-minor F n/t (3+ / 0-)
      burnt out, bwren, worldlotus

"A famous person once said, 'You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.' But as I once said, "If you don't teach them to read, you can fool them whenever you like." – Max Headroom

by midnight lurker on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 07:45:08 PM PDT

•  Check your messages if you haven't deleted them, (1+ / 0-)
      bwren

It's one of the first times we ever talked. I was trying to get you to delve into minor keys after you told me that you played everything in major keys.  I was trying to convince you that minor chords would fit into much of your music. You might be surprised about getting that stinkeye. Talk to him about it, see what he thinks.

In C progression the vi would be Am. In G it would be Em.

Just give me some truth. John Lennon

by burnt out on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 07:57:13 PM PDT

•  crikey, I can't even remember the alphabet! nt (1+ / 0-)
        burnt out

by bwren on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 08:08:41 PM PDT

•  I'm tellin ya bwren, you can do this, and you'll (2+ / 0-)
          bwren, socialistfolkstick

love it when you do. It'll add a whole new dimension to your music. Trust me, if I can get it, it'll be a piece of cake for you. Just try tossing in one of the minors when you're fooling around some time. Here's a starting place. Start with the I chord, C in this instance, then switch to any other chord listed,(since the I chord can lead to any other) then follow that with any chord in the chart below that your previous chord leads to as stated in the chart. Once you figure that out, the  same pattern will work in any key. Just try it.

Chord in C Major Scale              Leads to
          I     C                                     Can lead anywhere
          ii     Dm                                     V or vii° chords
          iii     Em                                     IV or vi chords
          IV     F                                     ii, V, or vii° chords
          V     G                                     vi chords
          vi     Am                                     ii, iii, IV, or V chords
          vii°     B°                                     I chord

Just give me some truth. John Lennon

by burnt out on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 08:33:09 PM PDT

•  Ok, this comment has been saved (1+ / 0-)
            burnt out

to my computer, and I promise to play with it. Will report back.

by bwren on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 08:50:09 PM PDT