View Diary: Political Books: National Book Awards 2013 Shortlist (25 comments)

•  Books Go Boom appear on Friday nights, which (6+ / 0-)

is why you might be missing him on Sundays. He did write a diary for quarkstompers SciFi/Fantasy series in September, which is why you may have been looking for him then.

OTOH his last BGB entry was Oct 4 although he has been around in other R&BLer diaries. Maybe he is taking a short break.

michelewln will be back tonight for Monday Murder Mystery, but I will still be here in the comments!

•  That's what I mean: (6+ / 0-)

Friday nights. After ten-hour shifts, I want to relax...and no BGB to relax with. Two weeks in a row!

I KNOW he doesn't post BGB on Sundays. I know every R&BL post that's up when I have to work.

Thurs: Write ON!

Fri: Books that Changed my LIfe & BGB

Sat: Books so bad they're good (&SN Losers club)

Sun: Science fiction and fantasy fan club from quarkstomper.

Oh, and although I rarely have to work on Mondays, I remember a certain Murder Mystery thread that posts then...perhaps you've heard of it?

;-D

Irony takes a worse beating from Republicans than Wile E. Coyote does from Acme. --Tara the Antisocial Social Worker

by Youffraita on Mon Oct 21, 2013 at 03:30:25 PM PDT

•  I've heard of it, but the problem is, it posts at (5+ / 0-)

the same time as this series about the Theater scene in New York City.

•  Sometimes I am not where I'm meant to be. (3+ / 0-)

I'm sorry that I've missed the last two Books Go Boom!, and only replied to the first of your two messages.

Truly, Youffraita, you deserve a weekly Books Go Boom!, for all the energy, knowledge, deeply felt opinions, and flashes of wit you put into your comments. Readers and Book Lovers add a lot of warmth and color to my life. This community lends me dreams and helps me grow.

It would be kinder if, when I miss my schedule, I posted an apology/explanation diary. But it would feel like personal drama. When I'm already feeling incompetent, I'm very reluctant to open up my heart in public. I might find the frankness to explain where I'm at, but I couldn't bear the sympathy.

The problem is an emotional Gordian knot. The pragmatic solution is as clear as the stroke of a sword: get the diary written early; then get the next one written earlier.

I'm moving in that direction. I'm not there yet. Or perhaps I am, now.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 12:43:05 AM PDT

•  I think you are doing a great job with Books Go (3+ / 0-)
          Brecht, Youffraita, RiveroftheWest

Boom, and we all need a short break every once in a while for all kinds of reasons.

The fact that you are missed, and talked about behind your back, should give you some idea of how much you mean to all of us. :-)

I have been trying to get Youffraita to pen a diary for months, if not a couple of years, I hope you have better luck.

•  Say what, Susan? (3+ / 0-)
            Brecht, Susan from 29, RiveroftheWest

Pen a diary? I do a diary a week.

Okay, I don't actually write the damn things. I loathe writing.

Commenting is much easier: there's a topic already & all I have to do is react to it.

I have great difficulty coming up with something w/o any help, y'know -- and I respect those of you who CAN do it.

by Youffraita on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 01:46:04 PM PDT

•  You contribute so much to the conversation with (3+ / 0-)

interesting and enthusiastic comments. So I don't believe you "loathe writing", once you're in the flow of self-expression. Perhaps you just hate the painful head-scratching, and trying to line up your inspirations into an organized story?

I'm not in any way saying you should write R&BLers diaries. I expect you to write exactly what you feel inspired to. But I'm pretty sure there are several diaries about books already swimming around, pretty near fully formed, just under your consciousness. If you sat down and started collecting your thoughts about Terry Pratchett, for example, the hardest part would be stopping.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 02:06:08 PM PDT

•  LOL, or Connie Willis (3+ / 0-)
                Susan from 29, Brecht, RiveroftheWest

I am even more emphatic about her brilliance than I am about Pratchett's. Perhaps you weren't reading here when I posted those, however. (Ask cfk: she knows.)

by Youffraita on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 02:32:13 PM PDT

•  Connie Willis is very good, and more people should (1+ / 0-)
                  RiveroftheWest

know about her work. I have seen you chatting about Willis; and I've spoken with cfk, who's also a big fan.

I'm a sucker for writers with good, charming style and a sharp, subtle sense of humor. Also, her marvelous handling of the complex logic of time-travel.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 10:47:31 AM PDT

•  I do feel right at home here in R&BLers (2+ / 0-)
            Susan from 29, RiveroftheWest

my friends are the sinews of my humanity, and the people I share understanding with enlarge and clarify the world I see.

Youffraita keeps up a pretty good head of steam already. I'm more curious how to get the R&BLers who've written 0 or 1 book diaries to write another couple. Though I'm certain, if Youffraita wrote about some of the authors she most enjoys, those would be some fun rides.

Thanks for the pat on the back, Susan. I do feel lucky to have found a group with so many writers who I trust and respect. I'm very glad you're here, and so involved. And well done on making it to your mystery conference.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 02:17:28 PM PDT

•  Brecht, it's okay, it's just that (2+ / 0-)
          Brecht, RiveroftheWest

when you seemed to have totally disappeared, I was worried.

If you need a break, hey, all of us do! I've missed a few Monday nights myself!

But...after a ten-hour shift, I'm going Write On (Thurs) and Books Go Boom (Fri) and Books So Bad They're Good (Sat) and SF & Fantasy (Sun) and y'know, my legs are really tired so it's just a joy to sit down and read, engage my mind, and relax.

So, yeah. I really notice when you're not there.

by Youffraita on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 01:59:21 PM PDT

•  Thanks for the support. It encourages me to get my (2+ / 0-)
            Youffraita, RiveroftheWest

act more together (a consummation devoutly to be wished), and it cheers me up to have friends who care and smart readers who enjoy my work.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 02:08:40 PM PDT

•  It makes me happy to know that (2+ / 0-)
              Brecht, RiveroftheWest

at the end of a long slog at work, I have something to look forward to besides my cat. Something I can read and savor.

Books Go Boom is one of them.

I would hug you if I could: consider this a virtual hug, ok?

but, yeah, you were so good about publishing Books Go Boom for so many weeks that when you didn't I was afraid you were sick or something.

Glad to know it was merely life intruding.

by Youffraita on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 02:28:30 PM PDT