View Diary: Just Don't Do This While Flying, OK? (222 comments)

•  Do not be the A-hole who puts their seat back (7+ / 0-)

all the way. The airlines are already crowding me and I paid for my space so unless you want to pay me rent, lean back Moderately. Otherwise after I ask you nicely to modify your ultra-lean, that won't be my kid pushing the back of your seat. It will be me with my tray stuck into my stomach with the computer  laptop or tablet whose screen you just crushed with your sudden move.

Life is just a bowl of Cherries, that stain your hands and clothes and have pits that break your teeth.

by OHdog on Mon Oct 21, 2013 at 02:09:23 PM PDT

•  Depends on time of day (4+ / 0-)

Sorry, but when the only flights transatlantic are overnight, I put my seat back as far as I possibly can to increase the potential for some actual sleep. Most passengers seem to do the same, at least once the dinner is over.

If I were in charge, at least on long-haul flights I would have sections of seating for people who want to sleep (and recline) and sections for people who don't.

•  I hope you (4+ / 0-)

check first and either warn the person behind you or ask "Do you mind?"

Failing that, a seatback suddenly pushed into my lap elicits from me a loud "OWW!", which is usually sufficient to get it put upright again.

Great Questions of Western Philosophy: How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

by Mnemosyne on Mon Oct 21, 2013 at 04:40:32 PM PDT

•  What airline do you fly? I know I've never flown (1+ / 0-)
          grover

on one that the seat went so far back it would touch someone unless they were leaning Very far forward.  In fact, the most it's ever gone back is a few inches.

•  It's more of a perceptual thing. (0+ / 0-)

People mentally stake out their "purchase" and that may not include anyone having the ability to "invade" their space.  I don't understand how one could not simply lean forward and politely ask someone to recline slightly less if they feel hemmed in.  The opportunity then exists for the other passenger to be considerate and acquiesce or be rude and tell them to bugger off. and then.... karma is a bitch.

"I'm not left wing because i'm ideological, or passionate, or angry. I'm left wing because I'm informed." - Mikesco

by newfie on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 12:21:30 PM PDT

•  airline seats (1+ / 0-)
            Delilah

Or unless you are fat. My mother-in-law used to complain becuse the seats were too narrow.  I thought to myself, well if you lost 100lbs. it wouldn't be a problem

•  I've literally (0+ / 0-)

had someone push a seatback back so abruptly that it hit my knees, but I'm tall. And in years and years and years of flying for personal travel as well as business I learned not to do that to others.

by Mnemosyne on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 07:39:02 AM PDT

•  This is NASTY! No matter what! (2+ / 0-)
        RiveroftheWest, Delilah
    •  You can cure them from this behavior... (3+ / 0-)
      RiveroftheWest, Delilah, ColoTim

...by pushing their seat back up using BOTH knees.

•  All the way back? They only go five freaking (6+ / 0-)

Inches.  Yes it is crowded, but it's not like the person in front is laying out 180 degrees.

•  You're the seat police? (4+ / 0-)

I chose the airline, the class of travel, and the seat, as did you.  I chose a seat that reclines a bit, and the airline chose to install a seat that reclines.  Get over it.

Want more room?  Upgrade.  Don't want to share the armrest?  Upgrade.  Want to take two huge carry-on bags, and fit them in the overhead?  Upgrade.

I agree with the no-sudden move advice....but the move is coming, because I paid for my seat, I'm 6'+, and the seats decline for a reason.

To avoid starting dumb wars, punish the dumb people who vote for them.

by joesig on Mon Oct 21, 2013 at 09:09:27 PM PDT

•  Thank you Mr. 1%. I am not policing the whole (2+ / 0-)
        TheOrchid, Amber6541

but I am concerned with my area. Also if it is the aisle seat that is all the way back the people in the middle and window seats have a hard time getting out for restroom use. Cogratulations, you have made three other people have a bad day. I amd 6 ft 3 in and I try to be thoughtful. Also sometimes the upgrade seats like the exit row are not available unless you are a member of that airlines special club or pay for their sponsored credit card.

by OHdog on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 04:56:03 AM PDT

•  Mr. 1%? (4+ / 0-)

What is so hard to understand about the fact that the seat is designed to recline?  If you are using something the way it was designed to be used, suddenly it's a problem?

I travel for work.  If I'm on a 2, or 4, or 14 hour flight, I will recline my seat as it is supposed to be reclined.  When you choose a seat online, many airlines will even warn you that a certain seat does not recline, so you can avoid it--because they know the damn seats are meant to recline.  But then there's you, kicking the seat like a spoiled child because you think the airline, the plane manufacturer, and the other passengers just don't get it.

To avoid starting dumb wars, punish the dumb people who vote for them.

by joesig on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 05:17:31 AM PDT

•  Sorry I just jumped to the conclusion that you're (0+ / 0-)

wealthy since every one of your solutions is to pay a hell of a lot more for space.

by OHdog on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 03:11:08 PM PDT

•  I've been doing a long commute to work... (1+ / 0-)
              OHdog

since late 2009.  Usually from my home to DC, then either a 14 hour flight to Dubai and a shorter flight to Kabul/Kandahar or, the past year or so, my home to DC then to either Nairobi or Istanbul, and then the last leg to Mogadishu.  And then I go somewhere interesting involving more flights (usually) as part of my vacation before doing the whole thing again.

Either the companies I work for, or I, usually pay for the upgrade, or I suffer in the cheap seats.  And happily use every inch of recline granted to me.  United, once you're at the over 100k miles in a year level, gives worldwide upgrade certificates, which really help.

To avoid starting dumb wars, punish the dumb people who vote for them.

by joesig on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 08:17:21 PM PDT

•  It's not "your" space. (1+ / 0-)
          OHdog

That's part of what the person with the seat pays for.

•  It is actually your space. You are paying for (0+ / 0-)

somewhat fluid space that may or may not be impinged upon by the person in front of you reclining--you have the same option.  If that weren't the case, the airlines wouldn't install them.  Most people I see in airlines DO recline their seats all the way.  I usually put them back part way unless it's midnight and I'm desperate to get some sleep (in which case it is expected that people WILL put their seats back all the way.)

•  My wife has back problems (3+ / 0-)
      Amber6541, gustynpip, bevenro

Sitting upright for prolonged periods is quite painful for her.  She flies fairly often and would not be able to tolerate it if she didn't put her seat back.

While I am definitely (slightly) more comfortable with the seat forward in front of me I have never perceived it as more than the mildest inconvenience.

"To see both sides of a quarrel, is to judge without hate or alarm" - Richard Thompson

by matching mole on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 05:49:17 AM PDT

•  Reclining seats also allows people with (0+ / 0-)

Long legs to scoot back a tiny bit in the seat and gain another 1/4-1/2 inch of legroom.