View Diary: Healthcare.gov is fine what is the beef? (30 comments)

•  can't you just enroll over the phone? nt (2+ / 0-)
    Sylv, CoyoteMarti

"Don't Bet Against Us" - President Barack Obama

by MRA NY on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 08:10:14 AM PDT

•  I guess I'll wind up doing that in the end (4+ / 0-)
      MRA NY, Sylv, CoyoteMarti, erush1345

if this doesn't get fixed.  But don't I need an account going forward, so I can review my status and stuff like that?  And how do I compare available plans over the phone?

"That capability at any time could be turned around on the American people and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything ... There would be no place to hide." - Senator Frank Church

by jrooth on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 08:48:44 AM PDT

•  the comparing plans issue i thought of as i (1+ / 0-)
        Sylv

was positing my comment.  I'm not sure, but i think they may send you materials in the mail, worth asking.  good luck!

(and once you have a plan picked, you probably can just set up an account at that company's site)

"Don't Bet Against Us" - President Barack Obama

by MRA NY on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 08:51:11 AM PDT

•  No, you cannot set up an account at company's (0+ / 0-)

site. That must be done through the exchange, unfortunately. But you can view plans even without an account.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

by CoyoteMarti on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 02:25:08 PM PDT

•  actually, my understanding is you can buy directly (1+ / 0-)
            CoyoteMarti

from a site, if you are not getting subsidies.

I don't see why you would think it impossible to have an account on a site once you are already enrolled.

"Don't Bet Against Us" - President Barack Obama

by MRA NY on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 03:26:37 PM PDT

•  Sorry, I thought you were talking (0+ / 0-)

about those wanting a subsidy. Indeed, as you pointed out, you can go directly to any insurance company, whether they are in the Exchange or not, and buy. Only if you want a subsidy do you eventually have to establish an account on the Exchange and get through the process there.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

by CoyoteMarti on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 03:40:45 PM PDT

•  when you call to apply, they set up the account on (1+ / 0-)
                CoyoteMarti

the exchange, i'm pretty sure.

"Don't Bet Against Us" - President Barack Obama

by MRA NY on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 04:26:35 PM PDT

•  I will call BCBS-IL tomorrow to check that (1+ / 0-)
                  MRA NY

out. Would be wonderful if that were so, but the materials I have received from them don't seem to say that. I currently have an individual policy but I need to choose a new one that meets the requirements, whether or not I qualify for subsidies. I will let you know!

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

by CoyoteMarti on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 04:36:15 PM PDT

•  I am talking about if you call the exchange. (1+ / 0-)
                    CoyoteMarti

they should set up an account there and process everything for the plan you select.

once that is done, i think you can deal directly with the ins. co.

if you might possibly qualify for a subsidy, you really need to first go through the exchange, you can't get a subsidy dealing directly with the ins. co. to start with.

"Don't Bet Against Us" - President Barack Obama

by MRA NY on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 06:18:28 PM PDT

•  You can apply over the phone, which means (0+ / 0-)

you will end up with an account. Also, you can browse all the plans available to you online without setting up an account first. You can also get a rough idea of any tax credit you will qualify for. In fact, it would be best to zero in on your desired plan(s) before calling. The plans browse and credit estimator part seem to be working fairly well.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

by CoyoteMarti on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 02:23:14 PM PDT