View Diary: Happee Caturdai Pootie Diaree (147 comments)

•  He circles around (18+ / 0-)

one of them, like stalking, then tries to jump them. The first time I wasn't expecting this, I thought he was just curious. But he 'attacked' (maybe bit but I'm not sure) my biggest cat who was calmly curled up on a chair observing things. She shrieked and he chased her at 60mph up the stairs and she hid under the bed where he couldn't find her. So I picked him up to remove him from the room--mistake--and he snapped at me, tried to bite. So he was really fired up.

The other time this happened was my smaller cat, she was lying on the couch and he circled around her, looking intent. A few times I talked him into backing off, distracted him with a toy, etc. but he finally decided to make a lunge for her. This time I caught him before he actually got to the cat. He was NOT HAPPY. He got some alone time and was grumpy all day.

I had wondered if he was pathological, lol--but the Humane Society said when he was there he did play with the other cats. At PetSmart where he stayed for a while they did comment that he wouldn't leave the other cats alone but I figured he was bored there. Anyway, the possibility that this behavior might be hormones encourages me to think he'll get better eventually.

He seems intelligent to me, he does like to play and will entertain himself if we're not there--you can see by where he's left his toys. I don't know, I sure hope this works out. Sigh.

Where in the Constitution does it say: "...on behalf of corporate interests" ???

by sillia on Sat Oct 26, 2013 at 12:18:24 PM PDT

•  it will take time for him I think (15+ / 0-)

to adjust, he's been bounced around a lot and probably not socialized by being disciplined by another cat.  I am wondering why the females don't bop him, but the crafty little guy always hits them when they are asleep from what you say and they don't know what hit them.  So, if you give him the same kind of unpleasant surprise when he is at it, it may sink in. I wish you the best, he is one lucky dude.

by Portia Elm on Sat Oct 26, 2013 at 12:45:17 PM PDT

•  I'll make sure he sees your comment (10+ / 0-)

perhaps it will help him to realize the seriousness of the situation, LOL!

by sillia on Sat Oct 26, 2013 at 03:15:43 PM PDT

•  I am going to tell you a story about Gus (10+ / 0-)

a cat that kept getting sent back to foster care.  Finally I was finagled into taking him and the rescue people never told me anything about the "last chance rascals."  He always climbed into my pap-san chair to pee on the cushion.  I scratched my head for a while, because he never used the box, so it was not that he was marking, and he got along well with all the other cats, so it wasn't intimidation.  Finally, I put a small litter pan full of cat litter in the chair, and without hesitation he peed in that, and it was like a light bulb finally lit up in his confused little brain, that the litter box was for peeing and pooping.  He never peed in the chair again, and used the boxes like all the other cats.  I think that all of my rescue cats have really tried hard to understand me.  I think if you can approach him as just having gotten used to coping in his own way, you can connect with him and he will ease out of his old habits.  Oh, and boy cats have the "terrible twos", so if he is a rascal, it will tone down eventually.

by Portia Elm on Sat Oct 26, 2013 at 03:41:44 PM PDT

•  We've been making progress (5+ / 0-)

Thanks, nice story. We HAVE been making progress in understanding each other--it's not that the last 3 weeks have been in vain at all. For his part he seems to understand we care about him (he gives us kisses sometimes). He responds when I say his name. He seems visibly happy. For our part, we have learned that he really needs a LOT of vigorous play, way more than our other cats and more than the other boy kitty we had years ago. So we've been trying our best to give him all the playing he needs. It's taking quite a bit of time and attention, like a babysitting job, lol.

I think now that we have the gates up I won't be worrying as much about the interaction problems. Yes, I can well imagine there's some terrible two-ness going on. And if his personality is 'rascally' we can deal with that, it'll be fun, within reason. If the hormones are a factor they may be fading over the next few weeks and not driving him to lunacy. Another commenter pointed out this kitty has been knocked around quite a bit (from stray, to Humane Soc, to PetSmart, to here) in a short time and it's a lot for a little guy to deal with.

Yes, he's coping in his own way. We don't know what kind of kittenhood or socialization he had before. Hopefully we can figure out how to get him a) more relaxed and b) more socialized with the other cats. I think the gates are a big step forward--already today I noticed the other cats staring at him from a few feet away, and they know he can't get out so they are less fearful. Time and patience, I guess!

Someone here mentioned the Bach herbal drops and I've been reading about the Rescue Remedy for pets on Amazon--lots of amazing stories of cats with anxiety-based problems learning to calm down with this treatment. I will certainly give those a try!

Thanks to you (and the other commenters here) for the input. It's REALLY helpful and reassuring. have a great night!

by sillia on Sat Oct 26, 2013 at 06:04:04 PM PDT

•  I just quoted you (3+ / 0-)
            Portia Elm, swampyankee, greenearth

to yourself! Oops. Your comment about Jasper being bounced around a lot was astute. I am listening, it's just that I don't always pay attention to who says what.

by sillia on Sat Oct 26, 2013 at 06:17:41 PM PDT

•  It sounds like he has real potential (8+ / 0-)

to be a good member of the pack. The fact that he played with other cats while at the Humane Society is encouraging (provided they weren't just feeding you a line to get you to take him).

He is a young fella and maybe just needs to age a bit to mellow. Hope that's all it is.

•  It kind of sounds like he spent that first year (1+ / 0-)
      sillia

having to hunt. See if 'nip makes him sleepy or crazier,(hopefully the former).

Information is abundant, wisdom is scarce. ~The Druid.
      ~Ideals aren't goals, they're navigation aids.~

by FarWestGirl on Mon Oct 28, 2013 at 03:15:58 PM PDT

•  interesting (1+ / 0-)
        FarWestGirl

I hadn't thought of that. It could explain his intensity. He's not vicious, that I can tell. He was bitey with us when he first got here but it seemed more like knee-jerk defensiveness than meanness. I haven't figured him out yet! But he is gradually getting friendlier with us.

Catnip seems to have a bad effect on him. When I let him play with catnip toys he gets riled up, feistier and kind of grumpy and short-tempered. I'm making a point of keeping the catnip toys away from him for now. Some of the staler ones are okay but a new one my husband brought home sent him into a frenzy!

He loves the toys with sparkly strips. Loves, loves, loves them. You can just hear him saying, "Vegas, baby!"

by sillia on Mon Oct 28, 2013 at 07:11:04 PM PDT