View Diary: Administration marshals more forces to fix HealthCare.gov, not a moment too soon (114 comments)

•  I'll look forward to your diary! (0+ / 0-)

I'm getting tired of the "oh, that's a trivial implementation" people are popping off.

No such system is easy: millions of users, stringent security requirements; public portal; interface to multiple legacy databases, etc. Even a perfectly architected and implemented system would have problems going live with a near-instantaneous load of millions of users.

The most complex system I have worked on was a high-tech factory: automated station controllers for a multitude of different manufacturing tasks, test equipment and programs, databases, ... Ultimately there were thousands of programs running on hundreds of systems from a variety of vendors, different operating systems.

A nightmare to manage, the worst nightmare being "full factory down", due to failure of a software component. A multi-billion dollar factory stopped cold, because somebody didn't test their software enough, or their installation failed, or , ...

It sounds complex, and it is.

But still, I don't think, nearly as complex as a system like ACA with so many end-users, back-end services, organizational clients (states, federal agencies, insurance companies, ...)

I am anxious to hear more from people with direct experience of the beast at-hand!

I can't help it. I love the state of Texas. It's a harmless perversion. - Molly Ivins

by rsmpdx on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 08:31:37 PM PDT

•  I have built systems far more complex (0+ / 0-)

that recieved FAR more traffic. The poster is full of it.

BTW you are on a site with a far more complex implementation that recieves far more traffic than the aca site ever will.

And they did it with a couple guys changing and improving as they went..

A man is born as many men but dies as a single one.--Martin Heidegger

by cdreid on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 05:33:05 AM PDT

•  "changing and improving as they went" (0+ / 0-)

Nice to have the luxury of time.

On which planet?

by rsmpdx on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 10:02:42 AM PDT

•  Are you kidding me? (1+ / 0-)
          rsmpdx

Perhaps you have been involved with some mom and pop store or some corporate logo site. But real sites that get hammered with uniques and hack attacks have been handling far more traffic with much more complex implementations for over a decade. This isnt new. It isnt rocket science.. This is just anoter example of DC spending WAY too much money to outsource a job a handful of inhouse designers/programmers could have handled. They didnt even need an SEO (the HARD part).

And the designers of healtcare.gov have had Years to get this right.

I am or was a hardcore programmer (10+ languages) who did this stuff for a decade and never considered any of it complex to the point calling a web designer a program.  Also quite often a naysayer. When i saw the rollout of the new dk i was astonished at what they accomplished. And as far as i can remember there was never a serious hiccup of a site that gets millions of uniques per day.

A man is born as many men but dies as a single one.--Martin Heidegger

by cdreid on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 02:27:57 PM PDT

•  We'll have to agree to disagree (0+ / 0-)

on the complexity of DKos vs. Healthcare.gov.

Of course, healthcare.gov is a web-based front-end to a whole pile of supporting hardware and software infrastructure and middle-ware. In the integration of all that lies the complication.

Just one example of the added complication of HC.gov vs. DKos: look at client identification and security constraints. Any spambot can get a DKos account to sell rock-crushers and such. The security requirements on HC.gov to verify user identity are considerably higher, comparable to the Social Security site.

If you want my bona fides, I suggest you look at my upthread comment giving my background in manufacturing automation at a major high-tech facility.

I grant that Dkos has somewhat higher traffic than HC.

by rsmpdx on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 11:40:56 AM PDT

•  I honestly just think (0+ / 0-)

your theories as to the complexity of healthcare.gov are inaccurate..  Any system designer with a brain is going to use the KISS principle and that would dictate simple databases under the hood not a hodgepodge of 50 different libraries. But as you said we could both be wrong.

I honestly mostly find it hilarious that dailykos has become such a clone of redstate that the Team Players scream that noone can possibly understand such a complex job!!! Even though this site is overflowing with coding and systems experts of all sorts.

A man is born as many men but dies as a single one.--Martin Heidegger