View Diary: Questioning democrats and progressives wailing about computer glitches. Underline, questioning. (150 comments)

•  It's harder than it looks (17+ / 0-)

I've worked on large-scale websites for almost 14 years, and most people out there who wave their hands and say "just add more servers" and "they should have known" really have no idea what it takes to do some of this. Considering the hostile environment, compressed schedule, and unknown traffic, this was a screaming success.

Part of this is similar to a "First to market" scenario, where you have to get something, even a crappy, stumbling launch, out in front of your customers before your competition. In this case, the competition was the naysayers in the Repub party, who would have made much more out of a missed date than a bad launch.

Heck, I've seen Apple, Amazon, and Microsoft have worse launches. You fix it and move on, but you never roll back.

Listen to the chair leg of truth! It does not lie! What does it say?

by mhanch on Tue Oct 22, 2013 at 06:55:54 PM PDT

•  Exactly (4+ / 0-)
      housesella, greblos, StellaRay, starduster

Lesson learned -- never buy a new Apple product, or try to download a new Apple OS in the first week of release.

•  Maybe the Administration should have said that (3+ / 0-)
        Dallasdoc, TheMomCat, erush1345

We're gonna suck for the first week/month, so don't flood the site like we know you're going to anyway.

Better for you to expect it to fuck up than for us to make sure it doesn't fuck up.

After all, people haven't been practically counting the days for this nice, shiny interface to finally launch, or anything.

And it's not like it's the President's BFD signature achievement, so who cares if the eyes of the nation will be focused on it like a laser?

And it's nothing we can't fix later. Besides, first impressions are easily forgotten, and people will flock to it once we get our shit together.

by DeadHead on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 03:39:43 AM PDT

•  ya, they suck (2+ / 0-)
          StellaRay, kerplunk
          The rollout of the new Medicare drug benefit has been anything but smooth. At a news briefing yesterday, Mark B. McClellan, head of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, provided a how-to demonstration of the much-awaited Medicare Prescription Drug Plan Finder, which he said would be available on www.medicare.gov by 3 p.m. It wasn’t. … Problem is, the Medicare folks have had some trouble getting the tool up and running. The original debut date was Oct. 13, but officials delayed it, citing the Jewish holiday Yom Kippur. Next it was promised on Oct. 17, but that day, too, came and went without personalized plan comparisons being available. Late in the month, McClellan told reporters that the feature definitely would be ready before Nov. 15, the date when seniors can begin signing up for the drug benefit. Yesterday [November 8], McClellan announced that the time had come. … But the tool itself appeared to be in need of fixing yesterday. Visitors to the site could not access it for most of the first two hours. When it finally did come up around 5 p.m., it operated awfully slowly.
          Washington Post, Nov 8, 2005
          •  So I'm picturing a Cabinet meeting in late 2010 (1+ / 0-)
            erush1345

where the President says something like:

OK, the ACA is law. We've got a three year time horizon at which time we have to roll out a fully formed product to the American people. Here are my milestones [specifies them]. You have two weeks ask me to adjust them. I may or may not. After that, they are gospel, and I want routine briefings on the status of each one.

In meeting these milestones, the Prime Directive is to comply with the ACA law without repeating the mistakes made the last time something like this was tried five years ago with Medicare Part D.

You think that ever happened? I don't.
            •  You should read this diary, at least the title (0+ / 0-)
            •  Well there was that Supreme Court challenge. (2+ / 0-)
              fcvaguy, StellaRay

Do you spend the half a billion hoping Roberts et al don't do their usual protect the corporations thing?  Then there's the withholding of funding for the rollout, another Republican favorite.  Then there's the problem of 23 states refusing to set up exchanges so the federal one has a much bigger job than initially planned.  But of course Obama, being super-human, COULD have predicted these things 4 years ago and planned accordingly.

by I love OCD on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 12:57:25 PM PDT

•  No time to worry about SCOTUS challenges (2+ / 0-)
                I love OCD, StellaRay

He expects Obama to be a software development project manager, laying out timelines and milestones.

•  I find that most of the annoyance here (2+ / 0-)
                  StellaRay, fcvaguy

regarding Obama has 2 sources- he's not Dumbledore or he's not enough of a bully.

There's the libertarian types, too, I guess.  Interesting conglomeration.

by I love OCD on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 04:10:15 PM PDT

•  I'm just annoyed because he didn't exercise the (0+ / 0-)

normal executive scrutiny most successful executives employ.

•  Because most successful business (2+ / 0-)
                      fcvaguy, StellaRay

executives are running a fractious nation, trying to rebuild a broken economy, ending a stupid pointless war, engaging in international policy talks on several levels, trying to protect half the country from the insane quarter of the country, get a budget passed, change immigration laws and policies, protect an entire country from cyber-attacks, educate a population that appears to have sunk to moronic levels of thought, implement the largest social program in history while protecting the rest of the safety net?  That's probably 1% of the job description.  I'm sure you could do it much better, right?  Comparing the job of the President to your average CEO is as smart as comparing the federal budget to that of your family.

by I love OCD on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 08:22:38 PM PDT

•  So which of those you enumerate has he been (0+ / 0-)

successful at as the launch of his most signature effort  flails?

•  You may have confused a website with the (2+ / 0-)
                          StellaRay, mhanch

actual ACA.  The signature program is still in existence, and there are several ways to sign up, including phone calls, Navigators, and local insurance agents.  This may involve moving one's ass from the chair, however.  Somehow people without phones or cars managed to apply for SS, and Medicare's rollout didn't have a giant web presence.

Yes, it's a clusterfuck.  So is the release of every new Apple product, every upgrade, every change to every major website.  How odd that Obama wasn't personally available to ensure that this particular web rollout magically avoided all the standard web issues.  It must be incompetence!

by I love OCD on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 06:58:27 AM PDT

•  I expect him to adjust (0+ / 0-)

to contingencies, as any leader must do.

•  He is adjusting to contingencies. (0+ / 0-)

I am kind of amazed at those who suggest the president may not be doing enough about this. My thought would be that he's willing to move mountains to make his signature legislation work.

And btw, it is working better every day, in many ways. My neighbor just found an in person navigator site 6 blocks from us, as listed on the MNsure site. She went over there yesterday and came back with her family signed up for Obamacare. Took her one hour.

"A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues." Theodore Roosevelt.

by StellaRay on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 07:16:06 AM PDT

•  Obamacare just needs to download more ram -nt (0+ / 0-)

"To the corruptions of Christianity, I am indeed opposed; but not to the genuine precepts of Jesus himself." Thomas Jefferson

by meatwad420 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 12:13:10 PM PDT

• Labor (25)
  • Environment (24)
  • Politics (23)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Police (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site