View Diary: Wrestling With Myself (96 comments)

•  Great Comment Wildthumb (1+ / 0-)
    Wildthumb

I wish I could say that I had no idea what you were referring to in the end of that comment.

But we know better don't we. :)

Gentlemen, congratulations. You're everything we've come to expect from years of government training (Zed, MIB).

by GreenMother on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 07:14:53 PM PDT

•  Thanks! Sometimes we do "know better." :) (1+ / 0-)
      GreenMother

Keep up the environmental work. At some point I need to present some thoughts on my own schoolyard habitat work in CA, by the way.

"The soil under the grass is dreaming of a young forest, and under the pavement the soil is dreaming of grass."--Wendell Berry

by Wildthumb on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 07:36:02 PM PDT

•  That sounds absolutely wonderful and fascinating (1+ / 0-)
        Wildthumb

What kind of habitat did you create---Its okay I can wait for the diary!

I look forward to it.

by GreenMother on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 08:24:36 PM PDT

•  Will hopefully spell this out in some detail in (2+ / 0-)
          GreenMother, Jan the Librarian

a future diary, but for now, briefly:  eighteen years ago I designed and directed the formation of a fairly large nature center ("schoolyard habitat") on a school campus. (A teacher at the school had gotten a hold of a native plant organization in CA where I was a volunteer, the Theodore Payne Foundation; the Foundation put me in touch with her.) This space was 7500 square feet: it was large enough to include many "plant community" spaces along with trees, fish pond, etc.)

It started as strictly a CA native plant garden (with emphasis on "drought tolerant" vegetation) but slowly morphed into essentially a sanctuary for native plants and native animals surrounded by blacktop and urbanity. I brought in frogs, toads, lizards, and fish, all native to California. I later designed and became a volunteer "instructor" of students at a second school, and have consulted and assisted at other schools with others who wanted to start native gardens/schoolyard habitats/nature centers. I've occasionally been paid, but mostly I do it out of passion. I've been doing this fairly intensively since I retired from my regular (contracting) job.

Lately, I'm looking into starting a nonprofit org. to create other schoolyard habitats (the term was invented by CA Dept. of Fish and Wildlife, I believe). Some "gardens" will be postage-stamp size; others may involve hopefully large portions of unused parts of campuses (campuses from elementary school to university-level, hopefully).

Frankly, I detest the kind of paperwork to get things started; I'd rather just go out and help teachers, parents and kids tear up some dirt (or blacktop, as the case may be) right now and have fun the way I always have had: as a volunteer. As a volunteer you have HUGE leeway to do what you want if you have the expertise. People love to have you. But I want to go bigger now: perhaps eventually reach the entire greater Los Angeles area for this "movement." I see it as reaching the future of environmental stewardship: our kids at the earliest levels.

(My God: I didn't know I'd write even this much; I was just looking at some stuff online about starting a nonprofit; I have to meet with someone in a few days who can answer all my questions.) More later. Whew! Thanks for your interest!

by Wildthumb on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 09:38:01 PM PDT

•  You will be helping pollinators for starters (1+ / 0-)
            Wildthumb

by GreenMother on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 09:46:57 PM PDT

•  Indeed; that's a biggie for us. I plan on a large, (1+ / 0-)
              GreenMother

permanent, informational sign on the pollinators in our garden soon. (We have a huge milkweed patch that attracts a big monarch population, for one thing). And our bee species populations are amazing.

by Wildthumb on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 10:10:57 PM PDT

•  That is fantastic. (1+ / 0-)
                Wildthumb

by GreenMother on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 08:20:10 AM PDT

•  Okay, so when are you going to take some (1+ / 0-)
                Wildthumb

macro shots of these critters in your garden and post them. I volunteer to help you ID them if you like :)
                I understand that you might not want to take a picture of the garden itself or the school, but just the bugs and birds perhaps?

I think it would make a great diary sometime in the future?

by GreenMother on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 11:28:55 AM PDT

•  Sometime in future. Right now got tons to do, and (1+ / 0-)
                  GreenMother

I even feel a little guilty about not doing my homework lately.

by Wildthumb on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 01:54:22 PM PDT

•  I think that you have plenty of time (1+ / 0-)
                    Wildthumb

Spring is some time away.

by GreenMother on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 02:40:03 PM PDT

•  Like your sig. I can hear Rip Torn's voice saying (1+ / 0-)
                      GreenMother

it.

by Wildthumb on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 03:26:37 PM PDT

•  I still had a hard time not picturing him as the (1+ / 0-)
                        Wildthumb

evil Priest in Beast Master or the coach in Dodgeball whenever I see MIB now.

Sort of like the not hearing "Mr Anderson" every time the Elrond spoke in Lord of the Rings, plaid by Hugo Weaving

by GreenMother on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 05:02:50 PM PDT