View Diary: Gallup: Seniors Don't Like ACA 54-38, Youth Like ACA 51-44 (61 comments)

•  Selfish Boomers (0+ / 0-)

Darn selfish Baby Boomers and their good for nothing parents who taught them to be so.

I CANT WAIT until they all get term limited off the planet.

Why dont you MAKE ME get off your lawn you %&^&$^**!

It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it. Robert E. Lee

by ksuwildkat on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 11:28:47 AM PDT

•  Want Us All Dead? (1+ / 0-)
      eyeswideopen

Do you realize that the "hippies" that we tend to at least respect around here are virtually all baby boomers?

I'm not a boomer, as I was born at the start of WW II, but quite a few of my friends are.

You want my friends all dead? Probably not, but your comment sure implies that...

I condemn alike that individualism that would allow the state no room for industrial activity, and that socialism which would absorb in the state the functions of the individual. -Richard Theodore Ely

by paz3 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 11:56:01 AM PDT

•  We all die at some point (0+ / 0-)

but I will take special joy when the so called "Greatest Generation" and their selfish off spring are no longer with us.

Now I say that in a very broad sense.  I have some very very close friends who fit in that category who I already miss or will miss very much.  But as a broad category boomers (including my sister) and their parents (on some things my mother) are very selfish and have demanded more and given less than many.

It is SICKENING that our schools struggle for the basics.  Why?  Because oldsters dont want to pay school taxes any more.  They got all the benefit of schools when they had kids but now want low taxes.

We dare not touch "their" social security but they have no issue with gutting it for those who will follow them.

The benefitted from a government that was funded with high marginal tax rates but as soon as they got to their prime earning years taxes were evil.

They support wars they dont have to fight and then demand cuts to VA.

No, I will not shed a tear when they - as a group - no longer have a say in how our government is run.

by ksuwildkat on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 12:17:08 PM PDT

•  Yeah thank Gawd we have Gen X (1+ / 0-)
          eyeswideopen

Because...because...because.... Facebook?  whatever...

•  about property taxes (1+ / 0-)
          eyeswideopen

I am over 60, a huge public school fan (me + both of my kids). I do not in any way resent paying taxes for schools and all the other services.

That said, my property taxes have risen at least 50% over the past few years, and are now 1/7 of my income, for a modest two-bedroom condo, and likely to continue rising at a rate at least 5x inflation. There comes a point when it's not whining, it's just unworkable. Many of our seniors are in that situation, on incomes that are fixed while property taxes go up and up and up. I don't know the answer (other than replacing property tax revenue with graduated income tax  revenue, which isn't going to happen), but don't assume that it's all about not caring about schools and other services.

•  Its a problem (0+ / 0-)

but the bigger problem is the all out Jihad on public spending since the hero of the Boomer Parents - Ron Old Ray Gun - declared war on government.  He gutted teacher pensions as Governor of California and then went after the rest of the country as President.  But oh how "the Greatest" loved him and their spawn idolized him.  Never mind he was a big Chickenhawk.  Never mind he spied on his fellow actors for the FBI.  Never mind he sold weapons to our enemies and lied about it.

Reaganomics was all about cutting taxes as a way to cut government and Boomers lapped it up.  From 1980 to 1984 Reagan attempted to defund the DoE.  Only Tip O'Neil kept funding from DECREASING each of those years.  From 84-88 he attempted death by a thousand cuts.  The Reagan's final budget request was just $1 billion more than Carters final request 8 years before.  Reagan started the trend to push more  and more down to the states by strangling the flow of money.  In the absence of federal dollars states were forced to raise taxes.  Plenty of money for worthless weapons systems but none for education.

We need to return to high marginal tax rates for those earning more than $500K and fund education.  We need to close down Mitt Romney loopholes that allow $100 million IRAs.  For that matter we need to close down vulture capitalists like Willard and tax 100% of their income as income.  Democrats and Republicans are BOTH responsible for our evil tax code but I blame Republicans and the Boomers who put them there for starting it.

by ksuwildkat on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 02:36:54 PM PDT

•  How exhausting. And stupid. (0+ / 0-)

So, the decades of ceaseless political action that my husband and I put in working to stop wars and promote civil and human rights were worthless, not at all part of the heritage of humanity that you can appreciate? We worked with refugees bearing marks of torture -- have you ever seen anyone bearing the scars of torture? We worked hard to make it so that you wouldn't.

And we did it in the flesh in the streets and in meeting places, always with the fear of infiltration and possible violence, not safely behind keyboards. We put our bodies and our lives on the line.

One of the first things one should learn in youth is not to stereotype people. It's rather like bulldozing a forest because some trees are sick.

Don't be young and dumb. Use your precious (and brief) youthful years with intelligence, wisdom and compassion.

As Mark Twain once said, "When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." —John Kenneth Galbraith

by eyeswideopen on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 01:59:50 PM PDT

•  Oh goodness (0+ / 0-)

yes yes we all do wonderful things.

What part of "broad category" was insufficient to make it clear that I was not speaking to any one person?

And PLEASE dont even try lecturing me about having skin in the game or assume you know what I have or have not seen.  Been there, dont that.  Over and over.

by ksuwildkat on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 02:16:57 PM PDT

•  Rude much? (0+ / 0-)

Pray share with us all the wonderful things you've done that reflects the great compassion you feel towards humanity, even if excluding a rather large chunk thereof?

Perhaps it's a case of "I love humanity but hate (older) people?"

And it is very easy to safely assume what you have not seen when you very clearly weren't even around for much of it. You quite clearly missed all the excitement. You kids have had it remarkably cushy, thanks to us and all those that came before.

by eyeswideopen on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 02:27:39 PM PDT

•  and there you have it (0+ / 0-)

you finished up with a perfect statement and a perfect example of why I will lose no sleep when the last boomer is laid to rest.

by ksuwildkat on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 03:17:20 PM PDT

•  Tell me that (0+ / 0-)

...when you've closed your last parents' eyes.

by eyeswideopen on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 01:28:36 PM PDT

•  Barack Obama is a baby boomer. (1+ / 0-)
      eyeswideopen

The generation extends from 1946 to 1964.

And the gains were not distributed equally among all members of the generation.

But thanks for painting us all with the same broad brush. And for needlessly promoting warfare between generations.

"The difference between the right word and the almost-right word is like the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." -- Mark Twain

by Brooke In Seattle on Wed Oct 23, 2013 at 12:29:36 PM PDT

•  I'm 63, a 'boomer' and support the ACA.... (0+ / 0-)

there's a lot of folks out there like us....