View Diary: HuffPo: Pete Sessions the GOP Rep who "cannot even stand to look" at Obama (235 comments)

•  Am I the only one that seriously doesn't (4+ / 0-)

give a shit?

I seriously don't give a shit. Ooh, he disrespected the President!! Throw the book at him! …

Code Monkey like freedom / Code Monkey like peace and justice too
    Code Monkey very nerdy man / With big warm fuzzy bleeding heart
    Code Monkey like you!

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

by Code Monkey on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 09:38:59 AM PDT

•  I don't really either (5+ / 0-)

but I think the broader picture of some of the underlying racism being cause for the extreme purposeful dysfunction in Washington is largely ignored. And that does bother me - there's a contingent of elected officials that oppose the President because he's a Democrat, but there's also the the people who want to "destroy" him because of the color of his skin. Politics is ugly but I just don't see where else the guttural hatred comes from if not anger because he's black. And he stays above the fray and usually beats them at their own game, which perhaps brings about the need to be so hateful on a personal level. So sunshine is good in that sense.

•  I get that, but still. (2+ / 0-)
        hulibow, pgm 01

There's plenty of reason to suspect racial animus is at play here, but what he said wasn't racist. Just not nice. I just don't see the outrage here.

Code Monkey like freedom / Code Monkey like peace and justice too
        Code Monkey very nerdy man / With big warm fuzzy bleeding heart
        Code Monkey like you!

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

by Code Monkey on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 10:05:13 AM PDT

•  In the comment alone, (2+ / 0-)
          Code Monkey, pgm 01

I don't either. I see a big whoops - shit that's said and cheered in the Republican caucus meetings might not go over as well in a different setting.

•  I see (3+ / 0-)
          EastcoastChick, doroma, I love OCD

so unless someone specifically invokes the N-bomb, it can't be racist speech. Context scmontext. Good to know moving forward...

•  What part of the context (1+ / 0-)
            Keninoakland

makes this a racist thing to say?

If there's a particular reason to think there's an unspoken “because you're black” at the end of the sentence, rather than just “because I hate your guts,” let's hear it. And no, the general strains of racism in the Tea Party don't make this particular thing racist.

I mean, what negative thing can someone say to Obama without being racist if we get to read “because you're black” into every sentence?

Code Monkey like freedom / Code Monkey like peace and justice too
            Code Monkey very nerdy man / With big warm fuzzy bleeding heart
            Code Monkey like you!

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

by Code Monkey on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 10:36:08 AM PDT

•  Well... (1+ / 0-)
              I love OCD

why would "hating someone's guts" make it more difficult to look at them? It's risible for a white person to say to a person of color "I can't stand to look at you." There's a long history in the white supremacist history of our culture equating African-Americans as ugly and bestial. There's a reason the phrase "black is beautiful" contained political resonance during the civil rights struggles of the 60s. So a comment that focuses on physical appearance, or at least visual regard of the object of criticism, can be a loaded situation when a person of one line of heritage makes it about a person with a different line of heritage. At the very least such a statement constitutes lack of racial sensitivity. And given the context of a politician from a conservative white district addressing the first President of color, the insensitivity is felt all the more acutely.

Remember Sessions did not say "I hate your guts" overtly. He focused instead on whether he could bear to look at the President, the top official in the government of which he is a part. It's a very disrespectful thing to say to any President, and when it comes from a conservative white guy, it's a type of disrespect that has a long and storied history.

•  Um, I couldn't stand the sight (0+ / 0-)

of George W. Bush by the time he was gone. Why? Because I hated his guts. It had nothing to do with his appearance.

Also, you say he “focused” on his appearance as if this was some carefully considered speech rather than a off-hand remark probably not intended to be heard by the President (which would explain why Obama doesn't seem to remember it). AFAICT, this was just an exasperated Congressman blowing off steam.

This keeps coming down to how it was a “disrespectful thing to say to the President.” It was a disrespectful thing to say to a person, and precisely no worse because it was said to the President.

He's not a goddamn king.

Code Monkey like freedom / Code Monkey like peace and justice too
                Code Monkey very nerdy man / With big warm fuzzy bleeding heart
                Code Monkey like you!

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

by Code Monkey on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 11:55:12 AM PDT

•  Just stop talking. Really. Please. (1+ / 0-)
              doroma

You're not helping yourself.

If I knew it was going to be that kind of party, I'd have stuck my ---- in the mashed potatoes! - Paul's Boutique

by DoctorWho on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 11:37:44 AM PDT

•  *eyeroll* Apparently not. (0+ / 0-)

I'm reminded of the time Romney's kid said he wanted to punch Obama during the debate. As if that's not a perfectly understandable reaction to one's father being humiliated very, very publicly. It was just a very human, if ill-considered, thing to say, but everyone got their dander up because ZOMG HE DISRESPECTED THE PRESIDENT!!!

There's a reason we address him as Mister President rather than a British-style moniker like His Most High Awesomeness the Great Righteous Preznit. It's because we left that crap behind in Britain. The President is just a person, even if we've entrusted him with lots of power.

Code Monkey like freedom / Code Monkey like peace and justice too
                Code Monkey very nerdy man / With big warm fuzzy bleeding heart
                Code Monkey like you!

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

by Code Monkey on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 12:03:50 PM PDT

•  You aren't black are you? nt (0+ / 0-)
          •  No. I'll grant you that. (0+ / 0-)

And I don't mind a diary like Crashing Vor's that ties this into the way black people are treated in their everyday lives. Hell, it seems to me that's a whole lot more relevant than all the cries of shock and scandal over how someone disrespected the President!! If this is symptomatic of the way black people are talked to and made to feel like lessers, then that's the scandal, and the Sessions/Obama thing is just one part of that picture.

Code Monkey like freedom / Code Monkey like peace and justice too
            Code Monkey very nerdy man / With big warm fuzzy bleeding heart
            Code Monkey like you!

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

by Code Monkey on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 12:15:51 PM PDT

•  (Er, I misremembered Crashing Vor's diary. (0+ / 0-)

It's still fine for different reasons. It's the two breathless “how dare he” diaries on the reclist that bug me.)

Code Monkey like freedom / Code Monkey like peace and justice too
              Code Monkey very nerdy man / With big warm fuzzy bleeding heart
              Code Monkey like you!

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

by Code Monkey on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 12:47:16 PM PDT

•  Says more about U than about those of us (0+ / 0-)

who give a shit.