View Diary: Herman Cain speculates the Devil was behind all those sexual harassment allegations (155 comments)

•  Odd. (3+ / 0-)
    enhydra lutris, NonnyO, rocksout

I thought "God" was supposed to be "right"? The Debill is stronger than Gawd???

I've been on the winning team all along!!!

"Wealthy the Spirit which knows its own flight. Stealthy the Hunter who slays his own fright. Blessed is the Traveler who journeys the length of the Light."

by CanisMaximus on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 11:08:09 AM PDT

•  Supernatural beings (2+ / 0-)
      milkbone, TKO333
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
      Then he is not omnipotent.
      Is he able, but not willing?
      Then he is malevolent.
      Is he both able and willing?
      Then whence cometh evil?
      Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God?
        -- Epicurus, Greek philosopher, 341-270 BCE

by NonnyO on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 11:57:37 AM PDT

•  It is attributed to him.... (1+ / 0-)
        NonnyO

...but it's not clear (ahem..unlikely) among professional historians if these are his words or given to him by later writers.

signed,

history dweeb.

by CanisMaximus on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 07:01:57 PM PDT

•  I've read that somewhere... (0+ / 0-)

I'm uncertain who it could be attributed to, so I retained the name I found online with the body of the quote.

All I know for sure is that I didn't write it and I can't take credit for it.  Wish I could because I agree with it, but it's not my style of writing.

Thanks for being a history dweeb, Canis Maximus.  I am, too, but don't specialize in Roman history, and I've only read a few historical things having to do with Rome - and Greek history, for that matter. (Plato's Symposium is an eye-opener!)  I do have a passion for Roman-occupied Britain, Gaul, and Germania, so I have read Caesar & Tacitus for contemporary authors, but I was looking for their references to the Celts, and the Boudiccan Rebellion info regarding the latter (I also looked up the quotes by Dio having to do with Boudicca - yes, I know many modern sources have changed the spelling on her name according to their whims and whatever sources they ran across first, but that was the first spelling I came across many years ago, and it stuck), and I have some specialized info on Vercingetorix who was captured by Caesar in Gaul.

My personal library is interdisciplinary and specialized, most having to do with various periods of history and biographies of the people, and - where appropriate - it crosses over into art or music history and/or later things pertain to histories of locales where my ancestors lived (and sometimes their part in events).

Factual history is FAR more fascinating than the fiction people come up with nowadays!  [IMNSHO, of course.]

:-)

by NonnyO on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 08:03:46 PM PDT

•  I'm a dilettante.... (1+ / 0-)
            NonnyO

...in some areas of history. I'm more interested in the "human story". I want to know what where the true pressures that drove our ancestors to do what they did. Only by knowing the truth about the past can we know where to turn.

I don't specialize in any particular area, much less the Roman period. But I am cursed with prodigious memory. I read that somewhere, and posted.

I used to have room for all my books, but since the two grandkids and assorted family moved back....

Your last statement is why I love history. But not just nowadays. It's always been true.

by CanisMaximus on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 10:27:37 PM PDT

•  I've had insomnia most of my life (0+ / 0-)

To keep the mind occupied with something useful since I was awake anyway, I read a lot.  When not reading history and/or biography, I'd occasionally toss in a good historical fiction read from a few authors who are very good with keeping historical details accurate even when they use fictitious characters.

I ran out of space to put bookshelves, ran out of space to put books on bookshelves, so I also have boxes of books occupying space in two closets, etc.

Just about the time British and European history gets tedious with idiotic religious wars, my British, Irish, and Dutch ancestors arrived on these shores with the Mayflower and within the next 25-35 years after that, so I had to bone up on the history and events where they lived to fill in data for my ancestors in colonial New England.  In the 19th century ancestors from Alsace (France, but surnames are Germanic), Norway, Denmark, & Sweden arrived here.  I have documented ancestors from seven different countries.  In a few cases, I've been the one to find original info and copies of original documents going back +/-four hundred years in four languages.  There's always a new puzzle to solve, and if I don't do research for myself, I help others with theirs.  It gets pretty interesting.

Ummmm..., yes.  I also have an excess of trivia info in my head, and many times it's actually "necessary trivia" info needed to find info and/or images in some of those old documents, etc., and that includes historical knowledge about who and why and what was happening in various countries and/or local places in those countries that influenced some of the immigrants to leave, or why they stayed and participated, so both specific & general knowledge about many, many topics comes in mighty handy.  And, if I can't find something for myself, the genealogy lists I'm on are a giant international network to turn to for assistance.

:-)

• Spam (21)
  • Law (19)
  • Labor (18)
  • Media (18)
  • Republicans (18)
  • Barack Obama (17)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (15)
  • White House (14)
  • International (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site