View Diary: There's a reason Silicon Valley is Indigo Blue (172 comments)

•  So now Apple (24+ / 0-)

is just giving up with pretending their not a cult huh? That building would make Scientologists blush.

To me, that's the beauty of science: to know that you will never know everything, but you never stop wanting to.

by JeremySchro on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 11:12:03 AM PDT

•  US Military is headquartered in a flying saucer... (10+ / 0-)

... in the shape of a pentagram pentagon.

i just baptized andrew breitbart into the church of islam, planned parenthood, the girl scouts and three teachers unions. - @blainecapatch

by bobinson on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 11:24:11 AM PDT

•  Silicon Valley, spy agencies, software sovereignty (8+ / 0-)

And Ye Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth Shall Make You Free
        - John 8:32 (and the lobby of CIA Headquarters, Langley Virginia)

Silicon Valley, spy agencies and software sovereignty
        Haroon Meer
        al Jazeera.com
        Last Modified: 21 Oct 2013 13:07

…In his talk, “The Secret History of Silicon Valley”, serial entrepreneur and academic Steve Blank sketches the early days of the Valley and shows how two individuals, Fred Terman and William Shockley, both military men, laid the roots for what would grow to be the Silicon Valley we know today.

In the section titled “Spook Entrepreneurship” Blank
        explains how Terman moulded Stanford University to become a “full partner” in the military industrial complex, and how he served as an advisor to almost every major branch of the US military. He encouraged students like Bill Hewlett and David Packard to start companies and how under his leadership, Stanford became a centre of excellence for the NSA, CIA, Navy and Airforce. Shockley, the founder of Shockley Semi-Conductor which spawned Fairchild, Intel and 60 other semi-conductor companies was a former Department of Defence research director in the Weapons Systems Evaluation Group.

Even casual observers of Silicon Valley history are aware that a host of today’s technological powerhouses cut their teeth on government funding and intelligence work. Oracle was actually named after the CIA project that birthed it and government contracts were the lifeblood of the young Oracle corporation. The importance of these military and intelligence contracts to young startups is oft underestimated; for many, they are the difference between life and death. As Blank says, these contracts “prime the pump” for young technology companies.
        This model, which was successful in creating Silicon Valley, still strongly supports it today.

Anyone working in information security will at some point interact with technology from FireEye, Tenable, VeraCode, RedSeal, Palantir or ArcSight. What do all these companies have in common? All are relative frontrunners in their niche areas of cyber security, and each has had considerable investment from a CIA-backed, non-profit venture capital firm called In-Q-Tel…

Is "indigo blue" the new khaki green at Daily Kos?

"I always thought if you worked hard enough and tried hard enough, things would work out. I was wrong." --Katharine Graham

by bobswern on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 12:05:36 PM PDT

•  How many major SV tech firms just joined ALEC? n/t (2+ / 0-)
          blueoasis, tofumagoo

by bobswern on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 12:14:06 PM PDT

•  kind of, I guess (6+ / 0-)
          Oracle was actually named after the CIA project that birthed it
          Project: Oracle was a CIA program Ampex was working on.  Ampex is a Alexander Poniatoff's company that he founded in the 40's.  Ellison worked there and worked on the project but (with the help of two of his friends) expanded the ideas of British genius Ted Codd who developed the idea of Relational Databases while working for IBM.

Ellison left Ampex to found ORACLE in the late 70's to get his technology on the market before SQL.

Go a little easy on the Conspiracy Theories Bob.

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

by Wisper on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 12:22:17 PM PDT

•  Worthy of an h.r. n/t (0+ / 0-)

by bobswern on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 12:25:06 PM PDT

•  Maybe on DailyBobswern.com (1+ / 0-)
              Aquarius40

but then again, I'm not a member of that site so I'm just guessing.

Feel free to HR though... its been a hell of a day at work.. I could use the levity.

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

by Wisper on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 12:26:55 PM PDT

•  Not worth the keystroke effort, IMHO.... n/t (0+ / 0-)

by bobswern on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 12:29:20 PM PDT

•  As a tech company guy, I'd point out (1+ / 0-)
                  grover

its actually a mouse click, but I do appreciate the 45 keystrokes it took to type that response.  I'm interpreting the extra dot in the ellipsis as a sign of just how much you care.

LOL...I wasn't kidding about the need for levity.  Thanks Bob: I knew I could count on you.

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

by Wisper on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 12:33:06 PM PDT

•  Totally off topic, (2+ / 0-)
                    celdd, Cali Scribe

Sorry you're having a crappy day.

If you're so inclined, I'm sitting here with a fresh pot of Italian roast coffee on the patio, while the dogs bake in the sun and songbirds are bathing in their kiddie pool. It's a slice of heaven.

There is a chair in the sun and the chaise lounge in the shade. The beagle hasn't claimed the chaise yet. I can keep it empty for you.

You're most welcome to join us.

© grover

by grover on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 12:52:37 PM PDT

•  Well, I work for a living....and I'm having a... (0+ / 0-)

...pretty damn good day, too!

by bobswern on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 01:04:05 PM PDT

•  My post here, very early this morning.... (0+ / 0-)

...directly discusses many of the dynamics associated with the now-highly-politicized tech/telecom industry; and, it directly dovetails with Kos' post, in which we're commenting, at the moment. The information in my post was also covered in the Daily Kos' (Roosevelt Institute's) Economics series of posts, also published here, earlier today.

Aside from snark, and rec'ing bullshit accusations of "conspiracy theories," what are you bringing to the discourse about this topic?

by bobswern on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 01:12:51 PM PDT

•  I'm bringing a touch of humanity to another (2+ / 0-)
                          Aquarius40, DarkHawk98

Kossack. Maybe you missed the "Totally off topic" subject line.  There was no snark here.

Step back, Bob. I was reaching out to someone who indicated they were having a bad day, needing a bit of levity tends to imply that. If I was wrong, then I apologize for trying to be kind.

I didn't say a thing about you or anything you posted about.

Not everything in this world is about you.

Holy moly...

SMH.

© grover

by grover on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 01:27:42 PM PDT

•  I'm bringing a touch of reality to someone... (0+ / 0-)

...who rec'd a comment that said what I posted was a "conspiracy theory." (Who are you kidding?)

by bobswern on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 02:07:09 PM PDT

•  Wish I could (1+ / 0-)
                      grover

but I've got to go do measurements at Mom-in-law's new place. Sigh...

by Cali Scribe on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 02:33:24 PM PDT

•  Well, Cali, whenever you're free.... (0+ / 0-)

© grover

by grover on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 02:34:29 PM PDT

•  Of course, if the Kings are playing the Sharks, (1+ / 0-)
                          Mr MadAsHell

I can't guarantee I'll be totally gracious. But you aren't expected to be either.

:D

© grover

by grover on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 02:35:33 PM PDT

•  Care to explai9n how it is that you call this a (1+ / 0-)
            bobswern

conspiracy theory? It is glaring flase and known to be so. What, exactly, is false? Hello?

That, in its essence, is fascism--ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or by any other controlling private power. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt --

by enhydra lutris on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 02:56:44 PM PDT

•  Cal Tech went from a small unknown (2+ / 0-)
          bobswern, Mr MadAsHell

one-step-up-from-a-vocational-school during WWII largely because Gen. Hap Arnold could not stand MIT's ruling pooh-bahs, especially it's VP Vannevar Bush. (No one else could stand him either, btw.) That, and Cal Tech had on it's faculty the brilliant aerodynamicist Theodore von Karman. The fact a lot of aeronautical companies were based in CA wasn't enough.

It's an old story--there's nothing like nat'l defense to bring in the cash.

Any jackass can kick down a barn, but it takes a good carpenter to build one.--Sam Rayburn

by Ice Blue on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 01:57:21 PM PDT

•  If Caltech (0+ / 0-)

was just one step up from a vocational school during WWII?

Interesting I guess that explains why Albert Einstein was a visiting professor at Caltech for a while back around 1931, he must have been teaching patent clerking to Edwin Hubble or maybe it was to inspire Robert Milliken to do more with his life.

Silly me, I guess I was wrong all these years.

Life is not a problem to be solved but an adventure to be experienced.

by DarkHawk98 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 09:31:57 PM PDT

•  Don't hate (4+ / 0-)
      Gooserock, Subterranean, Yoshimi, grover

Have you seen Microsoft's Campus?  Nike's HQ?  Oracle's waterfront Blue Towers?  Or Adobe's post-modern 280,000 square foot clear cube design in Utah?

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

by Wisper on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 11:47:22 AM PDT

•  Or Oracle's America's Cup Catamaran for That (3+ / 0-)
        grover, ssgbryan, annieli

matter.

by Gooserock on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 11:59:56 AM PDT

•  Kind of crazy when you need a map to (0+ / 0-)

navigate your headquarters.

by JeremySchro on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 12:10:05 PM PDT

•  have you ever (2+ / 0-)
          Ice Blue, BYw

been to the Pentagon?  Very easy to get lost there.

It might be easier since the remodel (at least in the areas where they want people to be), but... complex space.

I am not religious, and did NOT say I enjoyed sects.

by trumpeter on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 02:01:07 PM PDT

•  Pentagon assignees have a saying... (1+ / 0-)
            trumpeter

by the time you can find your way around the place they move you somewhere else.

by Ice Blue on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 02:10:51 PM PDT

•  Pentagon signs (0+ / 0-)

The Pentagon is the only building I have been in that has signs up that read: "Do not drive vehicles down this corridor."  That is a big building.  I was disappointed when I saw that at the very center of "The Building" was just a coffee and food stand.  At the time, I thought there was going to be a gold toilet for Rumsfeld.

It is also probably the only place in the world where the two stars are the ones sent out for the coffee.

I went into science for the money and the sex. Imagine my surprise.

by Mote Dai on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 05:54:59 PM PDT

•  Almost need one now (0+ / 0-)

to navigate around all the assorted buildings Apple's leasing in Cupertino; I'd still love to know the color code for the various "apples" that mark the buildings. At least in the new locale they'll be in the same building, though you'll probably need a Segway to get around. (Maybe they'll have indoor shuttles via golf cart?)

by Cali Scribe on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 02:37:11 PM PDT

•  Microsoft's campus has *glowing* red autumn (0+ / 0-)

trees this time of year.

A brilliant juxtaposition of high tech and nature.

© grover

by grover on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 12:55:18 PM PDT

•  Loved looking at the blue towers (0+ / 0-)

from 101, then I temped there for a few weeks -- pretty much cured my Lord Larry worship. :-/

by Cali Scribe on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 02:35:07 PM PDT

•  It is indeed a spectacular monument (7+ / 0-)

...to the memory of Steve Jobs' ego! Apple's board of directors really should be ashamed of themselves, but that's the state of American corporate governance, unfortunately.

I hope the roof doesn't leak when they get done. Unorthodox designs often end up with mundane problems. :-)

-Jay-

•  It's actually being designed (1+ / 0-)
        BYw

as a very "green" building -- lower energy consumption than your standard high-rise, and the arboretum in the middle will be very nice to look at from 280 right next to it. And with more employees in a single building rather than scattered around a bunch of separate locations there'll be less gas used transporting people between facilities; I'm sure there'll be some sort of shuttle service between the new facility and the current HQ off of DeAnza Boulevard.

by Cali Scribe on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 02:41:59 PM PDT

•  Cali-- yes, but that's a seperate issue! (0+ / 0-)
          Cali-- I don't doubt that a bit, but you can get all that AND spend less of the shareholders' money with a more conventional design.

The building plans at the City of Cupertino show the new building with a 1500 ft diameter! On a cold or rainy day, if you have a meeting on the opposite side of the building, it's just under a 1/2 mile walk. :-)

-Jay-

•  Psh... My tech company has offices WAY crazier (0+ / 0-)

that building looks downright economical.

"I wish you luck on not hating your parents for mixing up such an unthinkable person." --The frickin´ HP--

by McWaffle on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 11:54:52 AM PDT

•  I get high just looking at it. All it needs is (8+ / 0-)

smoke wafting from above the trees and you've got yourself an inevitable Northern California architectural wonder: The largest bowl of pot in the world.

If I knew it was going to be that kind of party, I'd have stuck my ---- in the mashed potatoes! - Paul's Boutique

by DoctorWho on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 12:01:45 PM PDT

•  I think we need a new acronym: ADS (1+ / 0-)
      Cali Scribe

Apple Derangement Syndrome.

But then I'm biased, having been a member of the cult of Apple since the 80s.

"When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions" ~ Kurt Cobain, Territorial Pissings

by Subterranean on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 12:26:01 PM PDT

•  Ever make it to a MacWorld (1+ / 0-)
        Subterranean

in the 1990s? You and I might have passed like two ships in the night; I used to go up every year for networking opportunities and to score free software (even though I didn't get my first Mac till 2001, the clamshell iBook). First personal computer I ever used was an Apple II in the early 1980s, doing data entry into VisiCalc for my then-boyfriend. :-)

by Cali Scribe on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 02:44:24 PM PDT

•  Afraid not (0+ / 0-)

I began teaching myself object oriented programming about 10 years ago and gave myself carpal tunnel syndrome.  CTS put an end to a career in computers, or much of a life.

by Subterranean on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 03:46:31 PM PDT

•  Heh, (1+ / 0-)
      Hannibal

Ever mention to your friends that you plan to buy a new PC or laptop?

The Mac enthusiasts do seem a little cultish, but in a good way.

© grover

by grover on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 12:47:26 PM PDT

•  it's a demonstration (1+ / 0-)
      sfbob

of corporate ego and lots of money.

(Is it time for the pitchforks and torches yet?)

by PJEvans on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 12:59:25 PM PDT

•  It's not an operating system (1+ / 0-)
      enhydra lutris

it's a religion.

[ ducks ]

If the pilot's good, see, I mean if he's reeeally sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... oh you oughta see it sometime. It's a sight. A big plane like a '52... varrrooom! Its jet exhaust... frying chickens in the barnyard!

by Major Kong on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 02:18:13 PM PDT

•  Ash nazg durbatuluk (0+ / 0-)

< / geek >

The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity. ~Abraham Lincoln

by raboof on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 02:26:40 PM PDT