View Diary: There's a reason Silicon Valley is Indigo Blue (172 comments)

•  Huntsville, AL still is (12+ / 0-)

They were not amused by the Shutdown.

Красота спасет мир --F. Dostoevsky

by Wisper on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 11:39:55 AM PDT

•  And there are all kinds of tech companies (3+ / 0-)

in Huntsville today as a direct result of government investment. Many of them are no longer reliant on government contracts. Huntsville is a perfect example of how government investment can help the private sector for decades down the road.

Freedom isn't free. That's why we pay taxes.

by walk2live on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 12:28:24 PM PDT

•  Rocket City! (1+ / 0-)
      Ice Blue

A friend from Huntsville said the city has hit a rough patch due to cuts in the space program.

This is a little old, but pertinent:

•  Amen! (9+ / 0-)

I was just about to mention both Huntsville,  AL and Houston, TX. I wanted to double the NASA budget in '09. It not only would've paid off in all the things NASA does, but it would've been a huge jobs program in CA, FL, TX, and AL: A deep blue state, a bluish-purple swing state, and 2 red states: And since NASA is federal, the $ couldn't have been turned down by GOP governors.

Tech centers with high education and high skills are one way that a Red area becomes Blue. NC wouldn't be a blue-ing swing state without the Research Triangle.  There's a reason why Houston is one of the  more "liberal" areas of TX. And if we EVER hope to make a dent in AL, Huntsville will play a major role.

I wish we could lure hi-tech green energy companies to my reddish-purple state of KY.  Believe me, it would help.

To hell with McCain's anti-earmark campaign!

"I was not born for myself alone, but for my neighbor as well as myself."--Richard Overton, leader of the Levellers, a17th C. movement for democracy and equality during the English Civil War.

by SouthernLeveller on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 12:54:31 PM PDT

•  I've heard talk of Louisville.... (2+ / 0-)
        Susan from 29, Valar Morghulis

....being considered an up-and-coming city, so you might just get it.

You can't spell "Diane Feinstein" without "NSA".

by varro on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 01:32:53 PM PDT

•  Louisville (0+ / 0-)

bas much going for it, especially numerous hospitals, a major arts scene, the biggest UPS air hub in the nation, a Ford plant, etc., plus a good public university and a Catholic University that is poised to become this area's Notre Dame within a decade.  But no green energy, yet.  Some federal and private research dollars in our universities would help.

I want light rail between here and Lexington, KY to help develop our answer to the research triangle.

We are a reddish purple state that is blue-ing--and will get bluer faster once we Ditch Mitch for Alison Lundergan Green, next year.

by SouthernLeveller on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 04:23:33 PM PDT

•  I can vouch for Huntsville's public schools. (0+ / 0-)

My family moved from there to a tiny town in WI when I was halfway through HS. Two years there of math equaled four years of it in my new school. I was a year ahead in science and English. Good thing the new town had a nearby flight school or I'd have gone bonkers.

Any jackass can kick down a barn, but it takes a good carpenter to build one.--Sam Rayburn

by Ice Blue on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 02:41:46 PM PDT

• Rescued (20)
  • Labor (19)
  • Environment (19)
  • 2016 (19)
  • Politics (18)
  • Media (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site