View Diary: Harry Reid Rules Out Grand Bargain. (128 comments)

•  But did he REALLY rule it out. I mean we all (12+ / 0-)

know Obama wants it soooooooooo bad. I hear when Sessions said he couldn't stand to look at him Obama said 'What if I gave you a Grand Bargain, would you look at me then? How 'bout it.' Maybe that's why Obama is denying anything was said.

/s

If I knew it was going to be that kind of party, I'd have stuck my ---- in the mashed potatoes! - Paul's Boutique

by DoctorWho on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 03:35:11 PM PDT

•  Where exactly did you hear that? (3+ / 0-)

I'd like to take a look at it.

•  President Obama does want a grand bargain... (20+ / 0-)

...he's said so many times, in many different ways. He's publicly mentioned Chained CPI as a bargaining chip to get it in budget outlines that serve as his fiscal platform. It's not some made-up scare story, or "Obama Sux" fiction. It's something he's said himself.

it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses

by Addison on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 04:34:25 PM PDT

•  Hilarious. (17+ / 0-)

Your snarky snark will be even funnier once this has been formally renounced:

The Budget contains the President’s compromise offer to Speaker Boehner from December. As part of that offer, the President was willing to accept Republican proposals to switch to the chained CPI.
      Nothing short of "off the table, it was a bad idea, what the hell were we thinking?" will convince me the President is no longer willing to give it away sometime in the future.

by DeadHead on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 05:25:23 PM PDT

•  Exactly -- sooner the better. (eom) (3+ / 0-)
        DeadHead, elwior, JVolvo

Millions of us – the majority – must come together to insist that President Obama and the Democrats stand up and fight for the things we sent them there to do ... Michael Moore

by MT Spaces on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 07:26:56 PM PDT

•  "off the table, it was a bad idea, what the hell (3+ / 0-)
          JVolvo, elwior, Australian2

were we thinking?"

"What the hell were we thinking?" I would welcome the President coming out and saying that.

Then we could all stop asking what the hell "are" they thinking?

Walden's comment on CNN but Walden's remarks served as notice that supporters of changes to Social Security could find it being used as political ammunition against them. "The Walden statement has had a huge impact," Greenstein said. "There is a very large, very palpable fear" among House Democrats that if they support the chained CPI, that Republican challengers running against them in 2014 will do attack ads against them and campaign against the Democrat voting to cut senior Social Security benefits. The fear is rooted in Democrats' memories of how the cuts to Medicare spending in Obama's signature health legislation were used against Democrats in 2010, he said.

"Prior to the Walden statements there were some making the arguments that Democrats would be played for suckers in 2014," Greenstein said. "I think the Walden statement just confirmed this. I saw firsthand today the viral effect it's had," Greenstein said Thursday. The national debate over how to tame budget deficits inevitably circles back to controlling costs among so-called entitlement programs, which include the Social Security retirement program and Medicare.
          However, making changes to those program, which affect the elderly and low-income Americans, is extremely delicate as it gives either side a chance to accuse its opponents of being heartless.

For every soldier coming home from Afghanistan in a box to Dover Mortuary, "God bless the cause for which he died."

by allenjo on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 05:23:54 AM PDT

•  Emphasis on (5+ / 0-)

"was willing to accept Republican proposals to switch to the chained CPI. (And I don't believe the CPI was a Republican proposal, they consider that peanuts.) And even so, it is important to remember that "acceptance" was and is based on a rather LARGE stick that comes with that carrot, as opposed to your interpretation that the president was simply willing to say yes to the chained CPI, because you know, he doesn't give a shit about SS. Sometimes I wonder if folks understand just how big of a stick it is for the GOP. SO big imo, they will continue to reject the chained CPI, because they could never get away w/selling their party on Obama's stick.

And, I don't think you're going to get your holy grail---that the president say, "What was I thinking?! What a bad idea!!!" LOL.

And I think it's going to be left loosely on the table, as it is now, with Reid apparently carrying out the first messaging on this. For reasons of political language and strategy many more literal news followers don't see.

I don't know what's going to happen, unlike so many here seem to think they do. But I do think this isn't 2011, and I think the president and the Democrats know that.

"A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues." Theodore Roosevelt.

by StellaRay on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 07:34:34 PM PDT

•  Emphasis on (2+ / 0-)
          JVolvo, elwior

"The Budget contains the President’s compromise offer to Republicans..."

As in, currently exists in the budget.

But I agree. I don't think I'll get my "holy grail" either.

Why?

Because if the President really thought it was a bad idea, or if he really only offered it just to appease Republicans and would much rather not touch Social Security, he has no reason not to say so. Especially now that he's enjoying the advantage against Republicans.

There's enough unrest in the party over it for a truly reluctant President to jump at the chance to calm things down, especially in light of the potential for the issue to erode any newfound advantage we have going into the midterms, don't you think?

by DeadHead on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 08:29:28 PM PDT

•  Still stalking me huh. You just don't give a shit (1+ / 0-)
        howarddream

that I've asked you politely several times to not reply to my posts, frickin creep. I can avoid you no problem but it looks like your smitten. I guess for you 'No' means 'Yes'. I suppose I should be flattered.

But I'm not.

Piss off.

by DoctorWho on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 08:36:09 PM PDT

•  Are you going to be okay? (0+ / 0-)

I don't give a fuck about your whiny bullshit. Grow up.

There was nothing offensive or 'creepy' about my reply to your idiotic comment.

And knock off the fucking stalking bullshit, please.

by DeadHead on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 10:09:57 PM PDT

•  And... (0+ / 0-)

Smitten over you?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

That's some funny shit.

Don't flatter yourself. You're just some person who posts dumb comments.

And you could try ignoring my dumb replies to your dumb comments, but apparently you can't, even though you say you can.

by DeadHead on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 10:19:33 PM PDT

•  Now now, don't make a fool of yourself. As has (4+ / 0-)

been said here many times, claims of stalking are serious business.  Provide your evidence to Admin and they will handle it...or not.

Tossing "stop stalking me!" around is very weak tea.

Bonus: You don't get to declare yourself off-limits on a public blog.

As of 8/30/13: RETIRED Pie Warrior. Substance over Sh*t Flinging (as best as I am able). Sarcasm for and Derision of Happy Clappy True Believers still available 24/7, you betcha!

by JVolvo on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 05:58:19 AM PDT

•  New to the site? (3+ / 0-)
          greenbastard, elwior, Australian2

You post in a rec list diary, people will respond to you.  And that doesn't make it 'stalking', even if it's people you don't like, people who disagree with you.  Even people you've 'politely asked not to respond to your comments'.

Your comment, stalking accusation and all, is HRable.  I won't bother, since I 'interacted' with you by pointing out such.

(And yes, I know you're not actually new to the site, no matter how willing you are to act like it.)

•  It's a shame you responded as you did. I can't (0+ / 0-)

post a history of dealing with that poster every time he responds. So if you want to actually judge everything based on this instance or through a bias based on my viewpoint then all I can say is you are doing a disservice.

by DoctorWho on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 06:56:47 PM PDT

•  don't comment, if you don't want people to comment (1+ / 0-)
          elwior

to your comments. You don't get to select who comments.

Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell. --Edward Abbey

by greenbastard on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 06:42:55 AM PDT

•  Very true. I got no problem with that. If that's (0+ / 0-)

the best you can contribute to the situation then what can I say.

by DoctorWho on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 06:58:44 PM PDT

•  "Near Future" - more weasel words (8+ / 0-)

If the reporter had been doing their job, they would have asked what "near future" means - next week? next month? next year?

Every time we hear these weasel words, we know they're trying to distract attention from some controversial and unpopular policy they're trying to slip past voters.

Near future likely means the time between now and when they sit down for the conference committee negotiations in December.

That's definitely not ruling anything out.

I agree with Rich Trumka - touch SS and Medicare and we will destroy your political career.

If cutting Social Security & Medicare benefits for low income seniors is what Democrats do after they win a bodget standoff, I'd hate to see what they do after they lose one.

by Betty Pinson on Thu Oct 24, 2013 at 06:47:01 PM PDT

•  "no?" (1+ / 0-)
      TomP

"Well then Pete, what if I gave you the Grand Canyon...would you look at me then?"

/snark

"Show up. Pay attention. Tell the truth. And don't be attached to the results." -- Angeles Arrien

by Sybil Liberty on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 05:23:44 AM PDT

•  Here are (0+ / 0-)

the four most important words in that diary:

in the near future
      ...which I take to mean, not until after the next set of crisis dates has passed. They'll negotiate on a Grand Bargain, they just won't do it with a gun held to their heads.

by sidnora on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 06:35:50 AM PDT