View Diary: Paul Ryan is still coming for your Social Security and Medicare (161 comments)

•  See above my responses to greenbell and waztec (0+ / 0-)

I'm not going to account for a lack of reading comprehension over and over again.

Cake or DEATH? Oh, I'll have cake, please.

by wmtriallawyer on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 09:36:56 AM PDT

•  Again with this insult? (3+ / 0-)
      atana, greenbell, lunachickie

We disagree with you not from a failure to understand, but a different point of view. You are entitled to your opinion and I agree that CCPI is not as drastic as what some conservatives want.  I am too old to see any of this as anything other than a generalized insidious threat to the benefit. I may be over reacting, but I am coming from an honest place.

Now, if you would like to compare reading comprehension standardized test scores lets, slap the concept around a little.  I welcome such a comparison.  Come on. Make my day.

If we are going to elect Democrats, lets elect real ones!

by waztec on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 09:58:34 AM PDT

•  And yet... (0+ / 0-)

this was the only point I made, to quote you:

"You are entitled to your opinion and I agree that CCPI is not as drastic as what some conservatives want.
        To somehow twist my words into saying that I support a "Ryanspeak" "modest cut" is either 1. a lack of reading comprehension or 2. a deliberate attempt to disregard the underlying argument I was making by falsely painting me as someone in favor of chained CPI.

Cake or DEATH? Oh, I'll have cake, please.

by wmtriallawyer on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 10:16:12 AM PDT

•  You don't support Ryan speak. . . (0+ / 0-)

. . .  I understand. But, I did not say, in my original post (or after) that you supported the chained CPI.  I merely pointed out the the CCPI is a calculation based on on a person's tendency to buy less quality when they have less to spend. And by "Very Responsible Persons"  I DID NOT MEAN YOU, personally, I meant our leadership.  If you drew your conclusion from that I apologize.

For some of us CCPI is equivalent to what Ryan touts.  I see a gradual reduction in benefits as the same as a more drastic approach.  I did not say or infer, nor did I ever state that you thought CCPI was acceptable.  You believe it is the lesser of evils.  I get it.  I have a degree in literary criticism, I get it.

If we are going to elect Democrats, lets elect real ones!

by waztec on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 10:31:22 AM PDT

•  You didn't. (0+ / 0-)

I acknowledge that.  But in this particular thread, I was responding to others who have.

Cake or DEATH? Oh, I'll have cake, please.

by wmtriallawyer on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 10:35:20 AM PDT

•  Got it my friend. . . (1+ / 0-)
              lunachickie

. . .Please understand  that the chained CPI scares me and my wife.  I cannot speak for how others feel.
              Writing is imprecise.  It is amazing how threads develop.  Language is so imprecise that I almost sympathize with law writers when they attempt to prevent "slippage" in meaning and understanding.  The second amendment is a perfect example of the rancor caused by imprecise language.   In my opinion.  :)

If we are going to elect Democrats, lets elect real ones!

by waztec on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 10:43:56 AM PDT

•  Your words (5+ / 0-)

"a modest cut"

I certainly comprehended that.

It is NOT, by any measure, a "modest" cut.

•  That's fine by me. (0+ / 0-)

Your context is that you do not think, in any context or compared to any other possible measure related to SS, that chained CPI is modest.

Sort of like saying, in relation to guns, mandatory background checks would not be a more "modest" measure than a total ban on guns.

That's how I understand the thread at this point.  And as I stated above, while I favor neither chained CPI or the Ryan plan, I'll agree to disagree that one alternative is far, far worse than the other.

Cake or DEATH? Oh, I'll have cake, please.

by wmtriallawyer on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 10:19:13 AM PDT

•  like saying the camel is just 'modestly' getting (1+ / 0-)
        Choco8

his nose inside the tent.

without the ants the rainforest dies

by aliasalias on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 01:49:56 PM PDT

•  Chained CPI is very bad in its own right (3+ / 0-)
      waztec, greenbell, lunachickie

and it's the thin end of the wedge for the whole program.

We need to strengthen -- i.e. increase -- SS, not cut it. And there are plenty of ways to do that. The Republicans don't want any of them because they would lead to a more fair distribution of wealth in the US, and their jobs are to prevent that from happening.

•  Democrats better be able to comprehend me (0+ / 0-)

If you cut my Social Security you will no longer have my vote.

If the choice is between LESS and NOTHING then I will make a third choice.