View Diary: When we say Voter ID Laws are Racist, We mean F-ng Racist! (71 comments)

•  Free photo IDs are not free (9+ / 0-)

You have to pay to get to the DMV. If you are missing a birth certificate or some other document needed to get the ID, you have to pay to get another copy. If you weren't born in a hospital, you're especially screwed. If you work, you have to risk losing pay in order to take time off to go down to the DMV.

This is all negligible for folks not living in poverty, but for the folks who are, this is expensive. And if you force a person in poverty to choose whether or not they are going to eat tonight or be able to vote, I guarantee you most will choose to eat. It is patently unfair to force this change, especially since we all know that voter fraud is practically nil.

Time is of no account with great thoughts, which are as fresh to-day as when they first passed through their authors' minds ages ago. - Samuel Smiles

by moviemeister76 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 10:33:03 AM PDT

•  Photo IDs in Floorduh from DMV cost $25. (9+ / 0-)

That's a fn poll tax.

"He went to Harvard, not Hogwarts." ~Wanda Sykes

Blessinz of teh Ceiling Cat be apwn yu, srsly.

by OleHippieChick on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 10:45:43 AM PDT

•  that's why you present a counterpt to repubs (0+ / 0-)

Say, fine we will go along with id, but then you need to provide a way for them.That will make the repubs back away from it because it is too much work for them. Right now, they are harping on photoid because we make it easy for them to sound semi reasonable to the average citizen. Get away from our echo chamber and you will see a lot of people wonder why it is so tough to impose such a restriction. So you turn the argument around and make them do the work.

How is a homeless person going to register without an address? Isnt' that a similar problem? Shouldnt the homeless and transients be able to vote too in a convenient fashion , if we go by that logic?  We are already imposing a requirement to vote anyway.

•  You really have no connection to the poor do you? (3+ / 0-)
        maggiemae, Hayate Yagami, elwior

Having a permanent address is not a requirement to vote. Homeless people are allowed to put down the shelter they are staying at or even the bridge they are sleeping under on the registration form.

And the only people who wonder why it's so difficult to get an ID is not based on party, it's based on class. A whole bunch of clueless rich and middle class Democrats sneer at the poor just as much as the Republicans.

by moviemeister76 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 11:25:34 AM PDT

•  No I dont (0+ / 0-)

Thats the reason for a DISCUSSION where people exchange ideas to provoke in others a need ot consider something or educate ourselves from responses we get.
          It's amazing how some of you who claim to be liberal can be just as assuming of people's intentions just as much as the right wingers I know.

Get this.  A lot of people do not know the poor. I have hung around poor circles though. So I am hardly sheltered. I have hung around broke drug addicts even though I am clean myself. Just to learn about differnt people. That means I am expected to be an expert on homeless voting and such?
          I know when I changed states, I could not vote because I was not registered. So I wondered how homeless who are less in touch with such stuff than I am manage to vote if they decide to?

•  These laws haven't been the result (1+ / 0-)
        moviemeister76

. . . of give & take between the parties. In every case, they have been IMPOSED by a Republican legislative majority & signed by a Republican governor. Democrats, for the most part, have been completely shut out of the process. That was certainly the case in N.C. Take a look at the legislative minutes if you have any questions. Democratic amendments - intended to make photo ID fairer - were simply swatted down, thus exposing the true intent of the law's backers.

•  I understand, so democrats need to talk about that (0+ / 0-)

You never see any publicity of democrats trying to make photoID fairer . All you see is photoID is inherently racist. That is what gets communicated to the average citizen.

•  How do poor people get medicaid without some id? (0+ / 0-)

I am just curious. Don't you need some kind of authenitcaiton to get food stamps or medicaid or even medicare?

•  A lot of times you share a card (1+ / 0-)
        elwior

Those who do have an ID will often loan their medicaid card out to those who aren't able to get an ID.

by moviemeister76 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 11:20:30 AM PDT

•  thank you for your blinkered concern (2+ / 0-)
        elwior, moviemeister76

The d-list trolls from the Comfortable Class have spoken.

“Vote for the party closest to you, but work for the movement you love.” ~ Thom Hartmann 6/12/13

by ozsea1 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 12:23:27 PM PDT

•  Ha! (0+ / 0-)

Comfortable Class! I am so taking that.

by moviemeister76 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 01:38:07 PM PDT

•  I havent insulted you (0+ / 0-)

So encouraging namecalling is classless. You do realize many regular people have the same questions. I wasnt challenging anyone with that question. It wsa a question I reeally was curious about to LEARN more about stuff I dont know enough about. Guess what. you are no expert either. And I wouldnt insult you if you were curious about something and asked me questions.

But I will insult someone and be just as uncivl if I am attacked.

•  Fuck off (0+ / 0-)

I have participated here long enough and just because I disagree with you or am not sure how things work and I ask a question about it doesnt make me a troll. I didnt name call anyone here despite my differeing opinions on one of the issues discussed here.

Calling me a troll is reason enough for me to ask you to fuck off and learn to take to debate with people who do not agree with you 100%.

•  What makes you think all poor get Medicaid? (3+ / 0-)
        elwior, moviemeister76, Val

If they are "lucky" enough to live in a state that doesn't allow able-bodied adults with no children access to the Medicaid rolls, they don't "get Medicaid" no matter how little income they have.

They just do without.

But they STILL have the right to vote.

"The difference between the right word and the almost-right word is like the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." -- Mark Twain

by Brooke In Seattle on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 12:26:20 PM PDT

•  Word (1+ / 0-)
          Val

I don't think most folks in the Comfortable Class (h/t ozsea1) realize how many people who desperately need Medicaid don't actually get it.

by moviemeister76 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 01:37:28 PM PDT

•  THat's for another diary (1+ / 0-)
            catfood

And I will support any proposals to fix that because that is wrong if getting a medicaid card is not feasible for people who need it.