View Diary: This Year's Most Important Battleground? Nassau County. Yes, that Correct, Nassau County (24 comments)

•  I can't imagine... (1+ / 0-)
    MRA NY

...how density can be increased to a degree sufficient to turn things around.  Density is high as it is.

Suozzi knows the only way for Nassau to get out of its current predicament is to have smarter, denser growth...

I'm not always political, but when I am I vote Democratic. Stay Democratic, my friends. -The Most Interesting Man in the World

by boran2 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 05:56:49 PM PDT

•  Density (2+ / 0-)
      Gooserock, MRA NY

is high overall but it's high-density sprawl, as in a lot of closely-packed-together single-family homes.  If there are dense apartment buildings built near train stations, that will attract young people and generate a lot more tax revenue on relatively small amounts of land.  It's a concept known as smart growth.

"All my soldiers in the field I will wish you safe return/ but only love kills war, when will they learn" ~Jay-Z

by Roatti on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 06:03:46 PM PDT

•  Yeah, I got that. (1+ / 0-)
        MRA NY

It just seems unrealistic.  Tearing down many existing structures in order to build up in an already overburdened landscape doesn't sound like a recipe for success.

by boran2 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 06:21:01 PM PDT

•  I don't think existing structures (1+ / 0-)
          Bronx59

have to be torn down.  It's more like develop vacant lots and parking lots into mixed-use buildings.  it other words, rebuilding the urban core.

by Roatti on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 07:09:19 PM PDT

•  I grew up on the south shore... (0+ / 0-)

..and used the LIRR Far Rockaway line on a regular basis.  Suffice it to say that vacant lots or other underused parcels are few and far in between.   I appreciate the plan but there just isn't enough to bring back many young folks.  It would take many decades to acquire enough property as it became available.  I do understand the problem.  I moved away, in part, for the same reason, overpriced housing.  (I live in northern Westchester county now where affordable housing was available.)

by boran2 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 07:31:00 PM PDT

•  I grew up on Long Island, visit regularly. My (1+ / 0-)
          boran2

daughter would love to live there.

My primary reason I don't want to:  IT'S TOO DAMNED CROWDED!

Really, traffic is out of hand.

I agree, seems unrealistic.

"Don't Bet Against Us" - President Barack Obama

by MRA NY on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 07:09:40 PM PDT

•  That's why development should be transit-oriented (0+ / 0-)

Less traffic.

by Roatti on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 07:12:59 PM PDT

•  the trains are too crowded too! I did that (0+ / 0-)

commute back in the 80's, it was kinda crazy then.

Everyone on Long Island owns a car.  Just because you might be able to get to work without one, doesn't mean you can do anything else.

There might be the rare spot with supermarkets and schools in walking distance.  How about getting to the doctor? or the kids games? or to a movie? or to a million other things.

I don't care if you built apartments AT a rail station, the majority of those people are going to still have a car.

"Don't Bet Against Us" - President Barack Obama

by MRA NY on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 07:16:58 PM PDT

•  That's the benefit of mixed-use development (0+ / 0-)

Supermarket, school, office, train, are all within walking distance, at least for the new development.  It used to be the case, it can be again:

THe ills you are describing are the status quo.  That's why it's good to change the status quo.

by Roatti on Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 07:30:19 PM PDT

•  Most people own cars in many outer borough areas (1+ / 0-)
                Roatti

That doesn't mean that people there are dependent on them in the way that suburbanites are.  It's not binary.

My brother and his wife lasted about five years in Suffolk County before moving to Southern Westchester.  My own suspicion is that Long Island is in deep trouble due to its inaccessibility.  Fixing that will require both redevelopment and better transportation.