View Diary: Moondai Furbutts: With A Little Help From Our Friends 28 Octogre 2013 (160 comments)

•  How beautiful!! Thank you so much!! :-) (15+ / 0-)

I've always loved "flutterbyes" as we call them...from the showy ones, to the slight, butter coloured little gems...they just lift our spirits, don't they?  :-)

You can probably tell, I've given the subject of why people do the things they do rather a bit of thought over the years.  At every juncture, the answer seems to lead back to fear.  Makes them a bit easier to understand....and helps me hope for their transformation out of fear.

Thank you for adding some beauty to our day!

We cannot call ourselves a civilised society if we refuse to protect the weakest among us.

by The Marti on Mon Oct 28, 2013 at 01:18:31 PM PDT

•  I agree, the power of fear (4+ / 0-)

I've reached a point in my quilting that I'm more interested in pieces that say something than big, impressive pieces that get all the oooos and aaaaahs.  I am just finishing the 2nd panel in a 4 panel work based on thresholds of pain. Three and four will come easier now that the mental and creative processes are well established.

Chronic pain entered my life in 2006 via sciatica which expresses itself in constant pain in my right foot. Some 7 years later, at age 60, I realize I have learned things about myself and my world that I don't' think would ever have come to mind without having to live in a situation where the reality is that I will never have a pain free day in my life ever again.

The 4 panels are:

Threshold I: Pain is relevant (for my psychiatrist, my beloved Dr. E.)

Threshold II:  Pain is relative (for my neurologist, my wonderboy Dr. H.)

Threshold III: Pain is invisible. (for the guardian angel who has been with me for 17 years on this journey in the role of my social worker)

Threshold IV: Pain transforms (for myself)

Some night in the guild diary or WAYWO I'll explain what those things mean, but you really struck a chord with your commentary on fear.

Fear is my next topic and it's  a wonderful feeling to have bits and pieces of thought floating around in anticipation of beginning to design. I keep a notebook on my desk so that I can jot things down as they come to me. I have the page I used for this series. It's scribbled on and lots of arrows and lines and different inks. I think I may just frame it and use it if I ever get these 4 to a show. :-)

Peace.

Creativity is intelligence having fun.

by Ninepatch on Mon Oct 28, 2013 at 04:44:49 PM PDT

•  Over the years I've formulated my own theory. (3+ / 0-)
        KrazyKitten, Ninepatch, The Marti

As some of us get older, our negative traits seem to take over our more benign behavior.

I've seen this over and over again. People who were pleasant and even lovable when they were younger become more negative, grouchier and just plain weirder in their "golden" years. When I say weirder, I don't mean it in an impish way.

I guess it can be attributed to facing the reality of aging and not being able to do and enjoy those things we grew up doing. If you can't find a good replacement for those activities, frustration and anger take over.

It’s the Supreme Court, stupid! Followed by: It's always the Supreme Court! Progressives will win only when we convince a majority that they, too, are Progressive.

by auapplemac on Mon Oct 28, 2013 at 05:00:25 PM PDT

•  I agree (3+ / 0-)
          KrazyKitten, Creosote, The Marti

Making this transition to a different way of expressing what I have learned and can now turn into wisdom for the road ahead, is a wonderful reawakening to me.

I have been sewing for more than 50 years and took up quilting about 14 years ago. I still make the big quilts, and lots flannel shirts and summer nightgowns (my nieces and nephews tell the SOs they aren't officially a part of the family until they've had their shirt or nightgown from Aunt B.) I do some home dec for myself and try to help out folks pressing the financial cliff's edge by repairing jackets, pants, etc. for just the cost of the notions.

But, there is something very different when I settle into these pieces. My hands are alive, I'm alive, I'm energized. If you've ever built/created your own gardened you know what I mean.

I was inspired to do these projects to say what I have to say by the PBS series "Craft In America." I doubt I'll ever hang in some museum or appear in a PBS program, but, nonetheless, it is a very uplifting, spiritual, regeneration for me.

Peace.

Creativity is intelligence having fun.

by Ninepatch on Mon Oct 28, 2013 at 06:07:52 PM PDT

•  Ninepatch, it really doesn't matter whether or not (2+ / 0-)
            KrazyKitten, The Marti

they ever hang in a museum. It's what they do for you...your sense of accomplishment... is what is important. The fact that you're also helping people adds a to the pleasure you get from giving.

I also dabble in crafting. I've worked in polymer clay making jewelry. Also like to decorate. Just concocted a no sew skirt for some shelving I wanted to enclose - so no one would see all the crAp on the shelves. Made me feel good to think of a way to do it without dragging out the ole sewing machine.

Continued pleasure in all you do.

by auapplemac on Mon Oct 28, 2013 at 09:29:24 PM PDT

•  I cannot add to what you two expressed here...so I (1+ / 0-)
      CA wildwoman

will simply express my thanks to both of you for such thoughtful comments!

Marti