View Diary: Poll: Public hates everyone in Washington, most of all the GOP (66 comments)

•  high unemployment, more talks of budget cuts (2+ / 0-)
    satrap, quill

I am not shocked

Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell. --Edward Abbey

by greenbastard on Thu Oct 31, 2013 at 07:56:51 AM PDT

•  I'd trade a deal with a short term political (0+ / 0-)

truce, immediate tax loophole closing, and long term cuts to SS and Medicare.

We live in a reality where the ACA has proven a boon to Republicans and not Democrats to this point.

From Neocon to sane- thanks to Obama- and Kos.

by satrap on Thu Oct 31, 2013 at 08:02:32 AM PDT

•  closing tax loopholes, which are brought about (1+ / 0-)
        SouthernLeveller

secretly in unrelated bills (in general), and just as easy to replace, under the radar in unrelated bills, is a non-starter for me, if that is what we get in exchange for long term cuts to SS and Medicare. that is a bad, and unneeded deal.

unless I'm mistaking what you mean.

by greenbastard on Thu Oct 31, 2013 at 08:10:10 AM PDT

•  No that's what I meant. (0+ / 0-)

perhaps I don't understand the political process enough, though.  I'm just a guy who wants to trade D  priorities for R priorities to get some longer term political functioning for the nation.   And I know Rs are beyond crazy.

From Neocon to sane- thanks to Obama- and Kos.

by satrap on Thu Oct 31, 2013 at 08:13:31 AM PDT

•  High unemployment is the knife to the gut (1+ / 0-)
      Subterranean

Scary scary Republicans and a terrible Presidential candidate helped Democrats immensely in 2012.

With no incumbent in 2016, it behooves them to get something going on the good side of the ledger or to hope that GOP really stays that stupid.

Part of the problem is 2014.  If Democrats take the House, who are they going to knock out?  The worst and most stupid Republicans. And -- They will no longer have Republicans to kick around.

Do some good stuff. Don't count on the other side to never develop a pulse.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Thu Oct 31, 2013 at 08:41:25 AM PDT

•  Rebuild the infrastructure (1+ / 0-)
        SouthernLeveller

With next to zero bond rates they money is there. Look what a relatively small number of jobs does for the Dakotas with their energy boom.

What would the effect be nation wide if in each county a couple of hundred construction related jobs were created?

•  How many unemployed people from the Dakotas (0+ / 0-)

were brought back to work?

As I recall, unemployment wasn't a major problem there, and the current boom was driven by fracking dollars, bringing a lot of people in from the outside.

Fracking aside, the underlying idea is sound:

you don't have to throw a lot of public money around if people can make money.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Thu Oct 31, 2013 at 10:28:45 AM PDT