View Diary: When is enough going to be enough for Senate Democrats to go nuclear? (76 comments)

•  I guess I'd say (2+ / 0-)
    psnyder, BleacherBum153

Look at the overall acceptance of the Republican Party, and of the Tea Party, in specific.

I think if you look at those numbers, then a convincing argument could be made that it has worked, as a political tactic, to allow them to continue making more and more extreme demands and commentary.

In a way, you don't want to be giving the Republicans the chance to play the victim.  Even though I disagree with their use of the filibuster, I think so few people are aware of its misuse by Republicans, that going " nuclear"  would simply lead to sympathy for Repubs.

However, I can see a possible use for the nuclear option closer to the elections.  It would serve as a means of engaging the base if it's done closer to the elections.

Streichholzschächtelchen

by otto on Fri Nov 01, 2013 at 08:23:43 AM PDT

•  Pretzel logic (5+ / 0-)
      If very few people are aware of the Republicans misuse of the filibuster then going nuclear shouldn't have any impact on the Democrats public image.
      •  That's entirely up to the media to decide (1+ / 0-)
        BleacherBum153

Like most events during Obama's presidency, one side is free to perform acts of sabotage in the shadows for years and the other side gets national media scrutiny for days when the shit finally hits the fan.

(-2.38, -3.28) Independent thinker

by TrueBlueDem on Fri Nov 01, 2013 at 09:06:56 AM PDT

•  So because the media won't be fair, (2+ / 0-)
          Capt Crunch, Bear

we'll just bemoan that fact and let this filibuster abuse continue?

"The R's will say mean things, the media won't be fair!"

Gee, it's almost like this excuse gets trotted out every time there's an opportunity for the Democrats to actually hit back and/or actually go for progressive legislation.

The R's will continue to abuse the filibuster. The Dems will not do that because "grownups". Time to end that.

Banking on the American people to be able to sort all this out and declare the adult in the room the winner is a very big bet. -Digby

by Boogalord on Fri Nov 01, 2013 at 11:38:04 AM PDT

•  You're right (0+ / 0-)

Even if Reid goes nuclear, he will not have the support of his full caucus.  It will fail.

Now that we've identified how bad they are at supporting bold decision making, do you want them to make bold decisions?

Streichholzschächtelchen

by otto on Fri Nov 01, 2013 at 06:02:41 PM PDT

•  Amazingly passive viewpoint (0+ / 0-)

First, I don't think we should sit on our butts and do nothing. The "Talking Filibuster", at a minimum, needs to be the new rule.

Second, Democrats need to respond to any unfair media coverage aggressively.

•  You could be right (0+ / 0-)

Where in my comment do you see me saying that these are my opinions?

That's one of the main problems in discussion around here.  I'm not an opinion writer.  I'm someone who is looking at a situation, and I'm relying on the things I've seen in similar situations to suggest a possible way that it could turn out.

Do you really really think that people only express their own opinion about how things will turn out?  That seems weird.

That seems to be an irrational way of discussing the possible fallout of things.  I'm pretty sure that you recognize that things can go differently that you currently believe, yes?

I don't care that you want Democrats to be stronger, they aren't.  So if Reid were to do this, the Republican media would press very hard against Dems.

Now, given what you know about establishment Dems, do you believe that they would stand up for Reid?  No.  They would creak and break under media pressure.

So it seems strange to me that you can have such a dim view of the Democratic Party, yet also expect to them to stand up behind the idea of going nuclear.

That's twisted.  Don't you agree?  It's a little like the conservative notion that the government can't do anything right, but the US military is so good it's like God himself handcrafted each member from gold.

Streichholzschächtelchen

by otto on Fri Nov 01, 2013 at 06:01:38 PM PDT

•  Classic "grown-up in the room" thinking (0+ / 0-)

Can't make any kind of bold move against the Republicans because it might backfire... Somehow.

by Boogalord on Fri Nov 01, 2013 at 11:34:16 AM PDT

•  Sorry (0+ / 0-)

I guess I shouldn't make commentary about something like this.

Maybe in the future you can give me tips on how to discuss something in a fashion that will allow me to be more confrontational and provocative.

That way, I can annoy people more.  TIA!

Streichholzschächtelchen