View Diary: Daily Bucket--Fractured Parable; The Ungrateful Killdeer (87 comments)

•  facial recognition (13+ / 0-)

crow researchers in UWashington have had to wear masks because several generations of crows now harass them on campus and foul their cars, or the passenger side of a car they ride in.

I think they have learned that in the future their banding activities should be done with a Ted Cruz mask or maybe a Ralph Reed mask....so many choices.

Coming commencement speech speaker going to annoy you?...get a mask of the speaker and go out and strangle some crows before the speech...the open air speech....heh.

Then wear the mask and troll for mad crows and go to the speech. and take off your mask.
      Ah, good times.

This machine kills Fascists.

by KenBee on Tue Nov 05, 2013 at 12:20:25 PM PST

•  Kenbee, how about (11+ / 0-)

I just throw some handfuls of gravel at the crows with a mask on?

Will that get them pissed off enough to go poop on the ALEC guest speakers who come to Oregon in support of the anti-union initiatives?

If I strangled a crow, I'm afraid they'd peck me to death right on the spot.

“The answer must be, I think, that beauty and grace are performed whether or not we will or sense them. The least we can do is try to be there.” ― Annie Dillard, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek

by 6412093 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 at 12:29:30 PM PST

•  I have noticed that whenever I eat lunch in the (12+ / 0-)

parking lot of the local shopping center, the Laughing Gulls all gather round as soon as they see me--they must recognize me and know I'm a soft touch who will usually toss them some tidbits.

In the end, reality always wins.

by Lenny Flank on Tue Nov 05, 2013 at 12:41:21 PM PST

•  Back in the Roach Coach days... (11+ / 0-)

I drove a catering truck for several years here in the Show Low/Pinetop AZ area. One stop was at a house-building site right on Rainbow Lake, where the crew I was feeding would buy food from me, eat all but the last bite or two, and then throw the rest to a family of bald eagles when they landed in the snag on the shoreline there.  It got to the point that they recognized the truck, and the "Dukes of Hazzard" special horn on it that I blew to start my clients' salivary glands going, and would land in the snag while I was turning my truck around before stopping.  The crew was only at that site for a couple of weeks, but the eagles knew they'd get a handout there.  One followed me down to the highway one of my last days there, and I had to stop and write a song...

Courtesy is owed. Respect is earned. Love is given. (Unknown author, found in Guide to Texas Etiquette by Kinky Friedman)

by marykmusic on Tue Nov 05, 2013 at 02:05:13 PM PST

•  mary, (3+ / 0-)

I'd be a little worried about disappointing a family of eagles by not bringing enough treats.

You're going to post the lyrics to your eagle song, aren't you?

by 6412093 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 at 09:49:07 PM PST

•  When the crew was done, they moved on (2+ / 0-)
            RiveroftheWest, Polly Syllabic

I haven't seen such acclimated eagles since.

Saw an Eagle

There are many who don't understand the way it makes me feel
            To look upon the mountaintop and answer its appeal
            And though I keep my feet down just to earn my daily bread
            Sometimes what I see can lift me up instead

I saw an eagle fly today
                Its head and tail were flashing white
                As if it carried its own light
                Against the clear blue sky-- I saw an eagle fly

There are those who think that patriots are of a bygone age
            That modern life is much too fast and history's turned a page
            But to those scoffers I must say, just take a moment, please
            Go climb as high as you can go, and see what you can see

[Chorus]         (c) 1999 (lyrics) and (c)2000 (melody)

And yes, a recording under my name is at the Library of Congress... did y'all know that you don't have to pay per song; I use the "collection" option and send in a bunch on the same paperwork.

by marykmusic on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 08:54:24 AM PST

•  Lenny, (3+ / 0-)

Do you have any alternate theories, other than the gulls recognizing your face?

by 6412093 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 at 09:47:29 PM PST