View Diary: Administration lawyers: We have to spy on you to protect your privacy (55 comments)

•  I hope it is a really big "if" (8+ / 0-)

"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." Arundhati Roy

by LaFeminista on Tue Nov 05, 2013 at 01:24:32 PM PST

•  The fact that in a decade+ of ubiquitous spying.. (10+ / 0-)

on Americans only fifty four ONE legitimate case [in which the data collected without a warrant] is being/has been used in a terrorism case... should speak for itself. (a case, I might add, that is premised on indirect monetary support for a terrorist organization -- not an actual operational plot)

The fact that both Alexander and Clapper outright lied to Congress should also speak for itself.

Think about it. If the NSA had really been concentrating on protecting We the People for the past decade doesn't it seem logical that they would have been able to thwart at least one of the dozens of mass shootings at public places occurring in that time?

They're collecting our data for ulterior motives.

Period

'Cuz freedom can't protect itself ~~ EFF ~ EPIC ~ ACLU

by markthshark on Tue Nov 05, 2013 at 03:43:42 PM PST

•  1.3+ mm WARRANTLESS wiretaps in U.S. in 2011... (10+ / 0-)

...alone! That number has almost certainly increased since.  The only reason we know the 2011 numbers is due to a slew of local ACLU FOIA requests in various states, last year. Per my post here on July 9th, 2012: "NYT Lead: U.S. Law Enforcement Made 1.3 Million+ Surveillance Requests Of Cell Carriers In 2011."

And, actually, it is LOCAL and STATE law enforcement, in part via the network of 78 DHS/NCTC FUSION CENTERS, that is doing most of this. This post from TPTB in D.C. is pure bullshit. And, they know it!

The ACLU, EPIC and the EFF know this, as well.

"I always thought if you worked hard enough and tried hard enough, things would work out. I was wrong." --Katharine Graham

by bobswern on Tue Nov 05, 2013 at 03:56:20 PM PST

•  And profit. Don't forget the greenbacks! (7+ / 0-)
        They're collecting our data for ulterior motives.
        I don't forget for one single second that it's corporations hired by the government that are collecting this data.  That fact alone leads me to believe these same corporations are saving a copy for themselves so they can sell it to other corporations who want to target potential customers with specific ads in hopes they can get more customers or repeat customers for their various products and/or services..., which means cha-ching!!!  Profits, profits, and more profits.

I never forget the profit margins..., which is what rankles me most about the insurance, medical, and pharmaceutical corporations who will shortly be making record-setting profits off of the ill health or potential ill health of most people in this nation, and all thanks to laws they wrote which our Cretinous Congress Critters passed instead of having everyone sign on to the not-for-profit single-payer medical insurance program that Medicare is (minus Part D corporate insurance passed under Dumbya with a 'buy this or else' clause - that needs to be moved to the same funding as Part A and Part B which we all pay for from our first employment through Social Security)..., the stupid bastages.

by NonnyO on Tue Nov 05, 2013 at 06:42:45 PM PST

•  Excellent comment, NonnyO (1+ / 0-)
          NonnyO

Yep, we were sold out and Congress got even more rich from the medical industrial complex for doing so.
          IF Congress was so concerned about the deficit they would have given us SP.
          But no, just like if they were so concerned about the deficit, they would cut the graft in the bloated military budget, the no bid contractors who get paid huge amounts of money to do the things the military used to do for half the cost.
          And tax the rich and the corporations.
          But then they might not get their massive campaign contributions and not get reelected.
          But hey, they could become lobbyists.
          Don't lobbyist get as many perks as Congress gets?
          Oops, off topic.
          Sorry.

Passing a law that the Constitution doesn't allow does not negate the Constitution, it negates the law that was passed. Secret courts can't make up secret laws. SORRY FOR THE TYPOS :)

by snoopydawg on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 08:28:04 PM PST

•  Thank you, snoopydawg! (1+ / 0-)
            snoopydawg

Your comment is correct, too.  There are SO many days when I wish I were not correct in some of my comments.

But..., I resent the fact that we've lost SO much since 12 Dec. 2000 I can't let it go.  True, the trends started long before that, but things done since then have sort of sealed our fate, and the shocker is that so many of our Cretinous Congress Critters just went along with it!  It still leaves my jaw hanging because I don't know WHY they consistently fail to abide by their oath of office.

I'm old, and I'd like to see a LOT of things return to normal before I die sometime in the next 33 years (I plan to live to 100 in spite of health issues).

by NonnyO on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 11:38:04 PM PST

•  I don't think they fail (1+ / 0-)
              NonnyO

Their oath. They lied. And got rich doing so.
              Wouldn't it be nice if we could impeach those that break the oath?
              We the people. They wouldn't.
              Favorite book is Clancy's Executive Order.
              A suicidal pilot takes out all of Congress, the SC, generals and everyone there like at the State of the Union address.
              Then the new president gets people to elect those that never served and really represents the ideals of the country.
              Then he rewrites the tax code and no breaks for the corporations or the rich.
              Sigh. Such a great idea.
              But fantasy.

by snoopydawg on Thu Nov 07, 2013 at 12:01:43 AM PST

•  Unable to flag a guy like Breivik and warn Norway. (0+ / 0-)

In spite of wholesale info dragnets covering the entire citizenry of various NATO allies.

The Dutch kids' chorus Kinderen voor Kinderen wishes all the world's children freedom from hunger, ignorance, and war. ♥ ♥ ♥ Forget Neo — The One is Minori Urakawa

by lotlizard on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 01:19:25 AM PST