View Diary: Union leader elected Boston mayor and other wins for workers (45 comments)

•  I just have to say (1+ / 0-)
    TrueBlueMajority

I'm sorry.  I did vote for Connolly, but am totally happy that Marty won.  I know Marty Walsh personally, and really like him, I've spent several times with him socially, this was not an easy choice.    He is a great man!! I have met Connolly also, and I know several people who are close to him, he is not the horrible candidate you are trying to portray or others commenting on this.  He is a good man, who could also be a good Mayor, which I expect Marty Walsh to be.  I think we were fortunate in Boston to have two good candidates fight for the position.  Not every loser is a bad candidate.  So, please, lets congratulate Marty on his win, and be happy to have a good Democrat in office. However, having a parent who has also served the public does not translate to you being some sort of bad candidate.  John Connolly is a good man.   Also, as a bartender, who is in a union, and gay, I do not think I am "anti rainbow coalition"  a fight amongst democrats shouldn't be drawing blood.  I'm happy for Marty.

•  Where did I say he was a horrible candidate? (0+ / 0-)

Politics is like driving. To go backward put it in R. To go forward put it in D.
      Drop by The Grieving Room on Monday nights for support in dealing with grief.

by TrueBlueMajority on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 06:59:57 PM PST

•  I think its inferred... (1+ / 0-)
        TrueBlueMajority

"lines were drawn between, shall we say, people who identify with the rainbow coalition and those who do not."  Listen we are both on team Dem, and I am fully supportive of Marty, I'm just asking we do no denigrate, a guy I think to be a good man. I just think he is an empathetic person, and was a good candidate, we had a spoil of riches.  Marty is great too, in my opinion, I could not lose. :)

•  but I didn't say Connolly himself drew those lines (0+ / 0-)

right after the runoff, a lot of people said I don't care who wins now because I don't know the difference between them.

then all the minority activist endorsements came out and it was clear the "Reagan Democrats" and GWB voters and Boston Herald readers and R-leaning independents and hateradio listeners had to go to Connolly.

Not Connolly's fault, but he did benefit from it.

And if Connolly did not want those lines to be drawn, he could have called himself a progressive.  He did not.  He could have drawn attention to the fact that he is a Democrat.  He did not.  He could have have used black adults in his ads.  He did not, until the very last ad with the elderly social worker (which to his credit was a very good ad).

Not doing those things does not make him a horrible candidate.  It makes him a pragmatic one who can count, because until Tuesday night I thought the minority endorsements would make Marty lose.  There are still a LOT of unreconstructed anti-busing anti-rainbow coalition people in Boston.

The only factual thing I ever said in opposition to Connolly is not something he can do anything about--I felt 39 was just too young and I wanted a mayor who was a little more seasoned.

Drop by The Grieving Room on Monday nights for support in dealing with grief.

by TrueBlueMajority on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 07:37:28 PM PST

•  I'm not going to argue (1+ / 0-)
            TrueBlueMajority

I'm not worried about whether or not he claimed progressive.  I've met him, I know people who know him, I know his former law associates, he is a good, empathetic, fairly liberal man, and this comes from a very liberal guy.  I am not upset he lost, I just do not like veiled attacks against him.  As I said before, not every loser is wrong.  We can all celebrate Marty's win, I'm not regretting it!  But we do not need to tear down, what I believe to be a good, caring, service oriented man.  :):)  We had a spoil of riches.  Marty has his own flaws, I assure you.

•  it's not an attack on HIM, veiled or otherwise! (1+ / 0-)
              brae70

it's an attack on the politics of the city and it's being honest about the way the city is still deeply racially divided.

it's not an attack on you or anyone else who voted for him!

it is similar to this statement:  not everyone who voted for McCain or Rmoney was a racist.  But all the racists had to vote for Rmoney and McCain once the Dem nominee turned out to be Obama.

I am not tearing down Connolly or you.  I know Marty has flaws and I expect him to reveal them shortly.  Connolly will run again for something else--he has a long political career in front of him.

Drop by The Grieving Room on Monday nights for support in dealing with grief.

by TrueBlueMajority on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 08:28:00 PM PST

•  and (0+ / 0-)

having a famous parent is not a bad thing and does not make him a bad candidate.  it was just one more advantage he had.

It is an open secret that Menino has been feuding with Walsh for many years and I figured a famous name and the Menino machine would be enough to win the election for him.   amazingly it did not.

I am not saying that everyone who voted for Connolly was in negative response to his minority endorsements.  some people I highly respect voted for Connolly.  But let's be real here.  The minority endorsements did cause a certain voting bloc of people to react by abandoning Walsh.

Drop by The Grieving Room on Monday nights for support in dealing with grief.

by TrueBlueMajority on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 07:43:41 PM PST

•  I'm sorry (1+ / 0-)
            TrueBlueMajority

which "minority bloc" abandoned Walsh for his endorsements?  and how did this show Walsh was the "rainbow coalition" choice?  Im just not following the logic....

•  Oh, I think I am now following.... (1+ / 0-)
              TrueBlueMajority

You think somehow white people ran to Connolly because Walsh got endorsements from minority leaders?  I think thats just a basic and judgmental decision.  There will aways be people who vote anti color, anti union, anti woman, anti gay, anti old.  I don't know, I'm just one liberal dem voter in Boston, but I just felt like we had two good Dems running, and we won either way.  Marty is no liberal hero either.  Don't fool yourself.  But he is also a great solid, democrat. :)

•  yes (0+ / 0-)
                some white people did.  that's just the truth of Boston politics.
                that's all I am saying.  those people had to go to Connolly.  i am still shocked he lost because there are a lot of those people around.

it does not mean that YOU are one of those people, or that Marty is a perfect liberal hero, or anything like that

Drop by The Grieving Room on Monday nights for support in dealing with grief.

by TrueBlueMajority on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 08:30:15 PM PST

•  but let's agree on this (0+ / 0-)

we had two good dems running

Drop by The Grieving Room on Monday nights for support in dealing with grief.

by TrueBlueMajority on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 08:48:08 PM PST

•  and why are "advatanges" (1+ / 0-)
            TrueBlueMajority

a bad thing.  We seem to like them if we think they "advantage" what we believe.    I actually reconsidered my vote because he came from "privilege."  But I thought about it and realized, being born lucky does not diminish your desire and will to do good work.  Kennedy, Pell, Rockerfeller, we have had plenty of those born to privilege, who fight for justice.