View Diary: An Alternate Analysis of Virginia's Election Results (77 comments)

•  Agree, also a Virginian (25+ / 0-)

TMcA was s lousy candidate, I held my nose, voted AGAINST the Kook, I think so many did too. Poised for a lousy term from him of giveaways and waffling and payoffs and backsliding. But at least he is not the Kook, and that is why he won. NVA turnout was very subpar. Fix that or lose next time.

I can't believe a great candidate like Mark Herring lost by 12 votes. RECOUNT NOW.

•  I'm Also a Virginia Native--From Martinsville (5+ / 0-)

TMac sucks if he only beat the Cooch by 3 points. A win is a win I suppose but it shouldn't have been that close. The Lieutenant Governor-elect won about 200,000 more votes that TMac won.

"The problem with posting quotes off the Internet is you never know if they're genuine."--Gen. George Washington at the Battle of Gettysburg, February 30, 1908

by Aspe4 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 01:05:58 PM PST

•  Actually the discrepancy among the top 3 races (4+ / 0-)

The big discrepancy in the votes is very hard for me to explain in my own mind.

Curious.

•  Well, let's see: (3+ / 0-)
          Calamity Jean, devis1, BvueDem

McAuliffe is a useless tool.
          Cooch is a frothing maniac.
          3rd-party libertarian gave people who couldn't stand to vote for a frothing maniac an alternative to voting for a useless tool.

Meanwhile ... the GOP candidate for Lt Gov is a frothing black maniac. Does it start to make a little more sense to you?

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 09:02:14 PM PST

•  I'm talking about Mark Herring (1+ / 0-)
            Woody

That makes no sense to me.

Why the nasty?

•  Sorry, not trying to be nasty. (2+ / 0-)
              devis1, BvueDem

It's just that there are a few factors at play here that contribute to the apparently disproportionate victory in the LG race, when compared to the others. Sadly, I think racism had more than a little to do with it -- and if there had been a strong libertarian LG candidate, I think plenty of those 200,000 surplus votes would have gone that way instead.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 10:27:59 PM PST

•  I guess I should note that I WAS trying to (1+ / 0-)
              BvueDem

be nasty to McAuliffe and Cooch and whatever-the-hell-was-the-name of the lunatic GOP LG candidate.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 10:28:55 PM PST

•  I said top 3 races (1+ / 0-)
                Woody

And you only mentioned 2. I guess that is about what most Dems did, ignored the AG race. You'd think after having had the Kook as Ag that we wouldn't want another one. If Herring loses, that's what we'll have, another one of the crazies as AG.

•  Obenshain did a good job of distancing himself (0+ / 0-)

from what he believes.

Of the three R candidates, he came off as the sane one.

With a lower profile race, voters didn't look too far into his record.

•  I'm not ignoring the AG race. (1+ / 0-)
                  BvueDem

The point is that the AG race did not have a strong libertarian candidate, AND did not have a crazy BLACK man running as the GOP candidate. My hypothesis is that there were some racist folk who voted for the libertarian in the Gov's race, for the white guy in the Lt Gov's race and the crazy white guy in the AG race.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Thu Nov 07, 2013 at 06:32:21 AM PST

•  not sure (1+ / 0-)
                    Woody

The libertarian candidate Sarvis ran to the left of or was just as left as  McAuf on many issues including gay marriage, marijuana legalization, and medicaid expansion.  He also is a married to an African American woman.  He is not your Rand Paul libertarian. Not sure if he appeals to an older, conservative leaning demographic.

•  I also think it likely that most of the voters (0+ / 0-)

didn't really know dick about the AG candidates, so they voted party; whereas they had plenty of opportunity to hear about what a pair of freaks the GOP Gov/LG candidates were. Meanwhile, Sarvis apparently pulled some votes from both MacAuliffe and Cooch -- unsurprising given what a useless tool MacAuliffe is.

The bottom line is that I'm not surprised by the relative vote totals of the Dem candidates -- it seems likely that I would have predicted it, had I been predicting anything. The guy who won the most votes was the guy running against a high-profile crazy black man, with no significant 3rd-party opponent. The guy with the lowest total relative to his GOP opponent was the guy running against a white man about whom almost nothing would be known by low-information voters, with no significant 3rd-party opponent.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Thu Nov 07, 2013 at 07:18:58 PM PST

•  I live in Fairfax (2+ / 0-)
      oortdust, wdrath

I don't like McAuliffe either, but that thought of Couch winning was enough to bring me out. I just wish we could nominate better Dems next time. Both Deeds and McAuliffe are terrible.

•  I'm a Newport News native (6+ / 0-)

Let's remember that no one else wanted the job.

Well, at least no one many of us recognized as a Democrat. Perriello took himself out early, assuming (I am told) that he couldn't pull enough resources, energy and organization together to defeat Bolling. That's right: most were calculating that Bolling would prevail even in a GOP Convention. Only T-Mac decided he could essentially purchase enough organization to make a run against Bolling.

Then Bolling dropped the bomb on everyone, and it was too late for Perriello or anyone else one might list to jump start a campaign. Let's not forget that part of the timeline because the assumption that Bolling would be the nominee was plausible to the insiders until he folded his hand.

Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. --Martin Luther King Jr.

by Egalitare on Thu Nov 07, 2013 at 02:03:13 AM PST