View Diary: We can't win big if our people don't vote (267 comments)

•  So what do we do? (10+ / 0-)

Ideas, please.

Ed FitzGerald for governor Of Ohio. Women's lives depend on it. http://www.edfitzgeraldforohio.com/

by anastasia p on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 11:59:29 AM PST

•  Have vote shows, like gun shows, where (18+ / 0-)

anonymous people register you to vote without background checks.

I am only 1/2 joking here.

Why is it easier to buy a gun than it is to register to vote in most states?

by 88kathy on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 12:17:06 PM PST

•  What to do? (23+ / 0-)

Get more candidates that attract people not like me.

I haven't seen a candidate other than President Obama that any of my nieces or nephews gave a hoot about.  They were not drawn to the polls.

Older folks like me are more studied in our voting patterns.  We see the behind the scenes crap, and look at what is happening, and vote accordingly.  Younger people tend to look at things from more of a narrow, shallow perspective, not because they're not smart, but because they don't have the experience to recognize a lot of what's going on.

And I don't blame them much.  Who under  50 years old gives a hoot about (for instance) Diane Feinstein?  (yeah, who over 50 does either, but...).  Politicians tend to be older, and to talk almost exclusively to older people.

Voters who are not older white men need to be drawn to the polls.

Or at least that's my (older, whitish) opinion.

I am not religious, and did NOT say I enjoyed sects.

by trumpeter on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 12:25:06 PM PST

•  Republicans attract voters (13+ / 0-)

with controversial issues that appeal to their base. They have quite an effective messaging machine to create fake outrage (as Toles recently highlighted). I think the fake outrage and misinformation is one of the key drivers of the Tea Party.

So rather than adopting fake outrage, how about we try real outrage with messaging that informs Democratic and Independent voters on the consequences of Republican policies and the benefits of Democratic policies?

I often read about the disbelief people have that voters continue to vote against their own interests. That, to me, points to the effectiveness of the Republican messaging machine and the corresponding weakness of the Democratic messaging machine.

We don't need to get out the base to vote, we need to get everyone out to vote. We can't do that with passive talking points or even political rallies. It has to be concrete, actionable information, like real stories of the thousands of people who can now afford health insurance and what Republicans want to do to people just like them versus what Democrats want to do.

Too many voters do not see the connection to voting and preventing bad Republican policies and implementing good Democratic policies. It's more than every vote counts. A vote is an investment in their personal future and that of the Country. Not voting really means they think they will be ok if Republicans get their way.

•  the ads against Cuccinelli did just what you (7+ / 0-)

suggest. They were horrifying and absolutely true.
        The problem, IMHO, was that there is nothing inspiring about McAuliffe. For political junkies like all of us, that doesn't stop us from voting. But for people who have limited interest in politics, it makes a difference.

While Democrats work to get more people to vote, Republicans work to ensure those votes won't count.

by Tamar on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 01:09:38 PM PST

•  Is there a link to the ads? (1+ / 0-)
          Larsstephens

Most likely voters know an attack ad when they see it. For the unlikely voter, an attack ad is just another turn-off.

The brilliance of the 47% comment against Romney was that it was exactly how Republicans saw many Americans. That's what made it effective.

And Republicans sometimes paint Democrats as "for the poor". Duh! Which party is for the worker? Republicans???

•  This! This! This! (13+ / 0-)

We simply must be more aggressive about promoting more liberal policies- because liberal policies benefit EVERYBODY, young, old, white, black, brown, poor, middle class, women, men.  Not just rich old white men.  Why the Democrats waste their time with sort of trying to hold the line against (for instance) social safety net reductions, instead of actively pursuing benefit increases when everybody is hurting, ill never understand.  The only way to take back the House is to TAKE BACK THE ISSUES!  So we can't get our stuff passed in this congress, so what?!  The point is to change the narrative, and keep pushing it until the Democrats have won the argument!

•  Gerrymander Effect. (10+ / 0-)

Just one thought.

After voting in one polling place for the past many years, I now have to go to a much more inconvenient place.  I was gerrymandered.

Truthfully, yesterday, I was running late, had to go to work, and was thinking about skipping it because the voting place is so inconvenient to me.  The old place is on my way to work and would take about 5 mins flat.  The new place takes about 10-15 mins to get there and is much more clumsy; they seem to have more people to process.

Of course I went and voted.  But I can see those who now have more hurdles to jump to vote, blowing it off, especially if as in Va., the polls said that the gov. was going to Mac by high numbers.

(Note to MacA campaign, NEVER, NEVER REST ON POLL EXPECTATIONS OF INEVITABILITY..... ah, someone close to you did that to her detriment.  You should have repeatedly said to the public that polls are one thing, but that every vote counts, come out and voteetc., etc.)

So.  Can we address the gerrymandering?  There should be some rule that you can go to a polling station closest to you.  Just one thought.

We Must DISARM THE NRA The next life you save may be ONE OF YOUR OWN!

by SeaTurtle on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 12:46:06 PM PST

•  Start running candidates... (10+ / 0-)

... from the Democratic wing of the party instead of well-known DLC types who think they can change their spots when it suits them?

My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.—Carl Schurz
      "Shared sacrifice!" said the spider to the fly.—Me

by KingBolete on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 01:25:56 PM PST

•  Great idea. (2+ / 0-)
        Johnny Q, ssgbryan
        Start running candidates from the Democratic wing of the party instead of well-known DLC types who think they can change their spots when it suits them?
        Run on specific policies and issues, clearly explain them (not in 10 paragraphs) but plain and simple.

I don't have the polling at hand right now, but I do believe the polling for ACA was not good, but when each part was broken down, people overwhelmingly supported each part, i.e., can't be turned down for preexisting conditions, children up to 26 can stay on their parents' policies -- provided their parents even had HC insurance.

•  Computer-driven outreach + boots on the ground (7+ / 0-)

In other words, we need the Obama 2008 and 2012 GOTV machines in every state, every year.

With 2012 turnout levels, even a poor candidate like McAuliffe would have curb-stomped Cuccinelli instead of winning a nail-biter, and Herring would have won comfortably.  Oh, and the NRA would not have won the Colorado recalls earlier this year.  And on and on and on.

•  Turnout. We also need to start getting involved in (7+ / 0-)

school boards and local gov. (more) and laying the groundwork for educating kids to the fact that living in a democracy involves responsibility as well as rights.

We need it to be part of the culture that everyone takes on their adult responsibility and votes...and "rock the vote" just doesn't cut it.
        As Kos noted, with the recent efforts of the gop to suppress the black vote, people of color have awakened to the need to hang onto their say in how things go in this country. We need more of that.

You can't make this stuff up.

by David54 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 02:29:14 PM PST

•  Paint the Republicans as the true job-killers (4+ / 0-)
      Larsstephens, a2nite, ssgbryan, Onomastic

And keep the message simple and constant

1) Show how Republican brinkmanship on two debt ceiling votes, the Shutdown, the Sequester, serial obstructionism, and their obsession with overturning the ACA have had a demonstrable and quantifiable negative impact on the nation's economic recovery, hurting job creation.

Job-killing Republicans.

2) Show how the ACA, by giving more people the freedom to retire or change jobs because they will no longer be in fear of losing their health insurance, will open up more employment opportunities for the population as a whole.  This is the potentially huge secondary benefit of the ACA that many Americans do not understand.  If the Republicans had their way, they would take that freedom away.

Job-killing Republicans.

3) Show - quantitatively - how years of Republican fiscal snake oil have coddled the wealthiest 1%, with the result being a ballooning of the national debt and the biggest concentration of wealth in nearly 100 years - at the expense of the working and middle class.

Job-killing Republicans.

•  If we could have something like (3+ / 0-)
      Square Knot, Larsstephens, Odysseus

Obama's neighborhood teams making that all-out push to get Democrats to vote, calling, walking, over and over, in an off-year I bet it would work.Unfortunately it's hard to see how something like that could be funded or coordinated.

Democrats need to learn to get out and vote. People complain that politicians never do what we want, but unless we can be counted upon to turn out every time, there's no reason for politicians to care what we want.

"All governments lie, but disaster lies in wait for countries whose officials smoke the same hashish they give out." --I.F. Stone

by Alice in Florida on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 02:48:01 PM PST

•  I want to see a system (5+ / 0-)

that reminds people by text and email of upcoming elections, early voting, voter id requirements and a list of recommended progressive candidates for their ballot.

This list should only be used for elections info (not fundraising) so that people don't opt out during the year.

The only reason I voted yesterday is because I received so many robo calls that I realized there was something to vote on in my area.  My next problem -- all the races were non-partisan which meant it took me a good 2 hours to track down endorsements from Democratic organizations and even longer to figure out why these races even mattered to me in my day to day life.

Next issue -- there's probably going to be a runoff for a few seats.  When and where?  Beats me and even as involved as I am, there's a good chance I'll miss that election.

All these issues would go away and make me an almost 100% certain vote in EVERY election if I at least had a reminder of elections and special elections and some guidance on who is the best candidate and why.

•  Help younger women to find the time (2+ / 0-)
      LSmith, Onomastic

To vote. Many have young children to take care of, along with working. Make it easier for them to vote, either by helping them with their children or changing the voting rules/laws so they can more easily vote, like voting by mail for instance.

Women create the entire labor force.
      ---------------------------------------------