View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Morning Digest: Jon Runyan's surprise retirement gives Dems a pickup opportunity (40 comments)

•  GA-Gov: A Carter enters the race (16+ / 0-)

That would be state senator Jason Carter (D), the grandson of the former governor and former president.

•  YES! (5+ / 0-)

Best news of the morning.

"I was not born for myself alone, but for my neighbor as well as myself."--Richard Overton, leader of the Levellers, a17th C. movement for democracy and equality during the English Civil War. http://www.kynect.ky.gov/ for healthcare coverage in Kentucky

by SouthernLeveller on Thu Nov 07, 2013 at 06:17:21 AM PST

•  I wish him well, but I lived in GA for 40 years (4+ / 0-)
      mstep, Remediator, wadingo, killjoy

and watched the Dixiecrats turn Repo without changing their views at all. Sounds like a long shot.

Find out about my next big thing by reading my blog. Link is here: http://bettysrants.wordpress.com

by Kimball Cross on Thu Nov 07, 2013 at 06:28:10 AM PST

•  Maybe so, yes, but well worth the scuffle. (7+ / 0-)

I'm a 50-state / all-districts Democrat and a little celebrity dust on a candidate for governor of a southern state may be helpful.

•  Interestingly my sister has lived in GA for 30 yrs (2+ / 0-)
        Odysseus, PinHole

but she lives in a liberal suburban area northeast of Atlanta.  It is a very diverse area as the school where she teaches has students, faculty, administration that represent 33 different ethnic groups.  She lives in a deep blue town in a red state. I live in a red county in a blue state. So it is quite interesting.

But if you venture outside of Dekalb and Fulton Counties, it is tougher to find those blue counties and blue regions of the state.

But I have faith that Georgia will someday be a blue state. It might not be for a decade but Atlanta keeps growing and people move south for jobs from the northeastern more liberal regions, things can change.

Keystone Liberals on Twitter @ KeystoneLibs , Join PA Liberals at http://keystoneliberalsforum.aimoo.com/

by wishingwell on Thu Nov 07, 2013 at 06:51:39 AM PST

•  I have some kinfolks who live in Athens GA (1+ / 0-)
          wishingwell

which is a very liberal university town, not a part of the metro Atlanta area. Very refreshing to visit there. The Republican legislature cracked it in half, putting part in one heavily GOP congressional district and the other half in another.

by Kimball Cross on Thu Nov 07, 2013 at 02:12:19 PM PST

•  next year is the time to do it (1+ / 0-)
        Gygaxian

with Michelle Nunn running it'll help to have a real candidate for governor, to help drive up turnout for both.

by James Allen on Thu Nov 07, 2013 at 08:07:01 AM PST

•  Every state party (2+ / 0-)
        TheUnknown285, Gygaxian

eventually has a candidate, and a campaign, who "splits" aka draws a hard line between contemporary Democrats- who reliably vote for the federal Democratic candidates- and the conservaDems who don't.

State parties tend to be in continuous disunity and decline as long the latter are in charge.  When the former sort gets in charge there is usually a large bloc of cadres and voters that leaves in a huff claiming to be "real Democrats" and excoriating the "ultraliberals".  But after that unpleasantness there's healthy growth due to young people joining and credibility that they are a real party with a responsible vision of the future.  Not just a subservient secondary party used to supply a few corrections to near-monopolistic Republican governance.

•  Interesting; would you say that applies to Utah? (0+ / 0-)

(I know, I know, one-track mind and all that)

Because we're one of the few states that are more conservative than the Deep South (and Georgia) states. Part of the problem is that we've got a couple of ultraliberals (real honest-to-goodness overly liberal types) who just freak out at the idea of Mormons.

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Thu Nov 07, 2013 at 09:46:36 AM PST

•  could be (0+ / 0-)

go back and look at past primary turnouts
            there are always swing areas in primaries and in finals 9 not always the same)
            a town near me was famous for voting 72 % for an extremely loud and pushy and smart women for state legislature and 68% for Reagan for Prez that meant that the majority voted for BOTH.
            also, you can also just talk to both sides...mediating your own party is a big frickin deal...pick races where you can visibly support the guy who beat your guy ...people appreciate people who hang around after the battle

•  Excellent! (0+ / 0-)

Here's hoping he can win over enough conservaDems and whoever's angry at Governor Deal to win.

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Thu Nov 07, 2013 at 09:44:22 AM PST