View Diary: The Internet is not MAGIC (145 comments)

•  HR (0+ / 0-)

Need I explain myself?

I blog about my daughter with autism at her website

by coquiero on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 10:52:33 AM PST

•  I'll leave that to others. Thanks. n/t (0+ / 0-)

Republicans want smaller gov't for the same reason crooks want fewer cops. - James Carville Support Small Business: Shop Kos Katalogue

by wyckoff on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 11:16:21 AM PST

•  Better Question: Are You Able To Explain Yourself? (0+ / 0-)

because if you don't have a coherent explanation, then that raises a whole bunch of questions.

Men are so necessarily mad, that not to be mad would amount to another form of madness. -Pascal

by bernardpliers on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 02:42:54 PM PST

•  Here's the crux of my argument (0+ / 0-)

DBAD

Don't be a dick.

I blog about my daughter with autism at her website

by coquiero on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 04:59:17 PM PST

•  I Think I Know What My Next Diary Is Going To Be (0+ / 0-)

This may take a few weeks, but it's likely to be very very relevant to those family holiday get togethers.

by bernardpliers on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 05:35:04 PM PST

•  Anger On Behalf Of Real Or Hypothetical People? (0+ / 0-)

Claims of self righteous anger are interesting to sort out.

First there can be a claim of anger on behalf of a real person who isn't even a party to the discussion.  It can even be a celebrity.  For instance, probably neither of us like Sarah Palin.  Does that prove something about either one of us? Some people would say it proves we are both bad people.  Yep, notice that being outraged on behalf of other people is standard for the perpetually outraged wingnuts.

Then comes the "I'm outraged on behalf of some hypothetical person!"  Because if the "bad person" says "Who specifically are you being upset on behalf of?" Because if it's not a real person, then it's an imaginary person......"Well you're mean to people like that so you must be punished!"   Wait, mean to imaginary people? Oh not all imaginary people, just specific types of imaginary people.

But that sounds silly.  In office politics situations this usually gets morphed into a lie such as "You hurt so and so's feelings so I get to punish you!"  Not only does this justify all sorts of aggression it puts the accuser in the role of the gatekeeper who gets to sever communication between other people. I always like to go straight to the person I supposedly offended and say "Hey, did I inconvenience you by asking for that thing you did for me?"  and they say "No, I'll do that any time you want."  The bad news is at that  point the rot in the organization has probably passed the point of no return.

by bernardpliers on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 06:16:00 PM PST