View Diary: Coverage of the anti-NSA Protest is an Example of a New Way to Disseminate Government BS (27 comments)

•  Actually it's a half century of experience and (1+ / 0-)
      gzodik

observation. I've seen this happen so many times, I've learned to expect it.
      Extremists of all stripes suck.
      They are what's wrong with this country at this point.
      Moderation is in desperately short supply.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Thu Nov 07, 2013 at 10:06:51 AM PST

•  Thank god you're not older. (9+ / 0-)

FDR might have taken your advice.

"Well, yeah, the Constitution is worth it if you succeed." - Nancy Pelosi, 6/30/07 // "Succeed?" At what?

by nailbender on Thu Nov 07, 2013 at 10:41:30 AM PST

•  My Only Problem With This Diary (3+ / 0-)
          AoT, nailbender, jakewaters

is the inclusion of the MSNBC article.

It was written by Adam Serwer, formerly of Mother Jones, and by my reading, it's a pretty straight piece.

The article, "‘Stop Watching Us’ sees a chance to reform the NSA", according to Rall, misrepresents the organizers true purpose.

It is true that “Stop Watching Us” sent a letter to Congress. But there’s no way for a fluent English speaker to interpret their statement as “calling for closer scrutiny” or “reforming” the NSA
          But "reforming" the NSA is exactly what the group called for in their letter to congress, which Rall refers to but doesn't cite. Let me do so now:
          We are calling on Congress to take immediate action to halt this surveillance and provide a full public accounting of the NSA's and the FBI's data collection programs. We call on Congress to immediately and publicly:

1. Enact reform this Congress to Section 215 of the USA PATRIOT Act, the state secrets privilege, and the FISA Amendments Act to make clear that blanket surveillance of the Internet activity and phone records of any person residing in the U.S. is prohibited by law and that violations can be reviewed in adversarial proceedings before a public court;
          2. Create a special committee to investigate, report, and reveal to the public the extent of this domestic spying. This committee should create specific recommendations for legal and regulatory reform to end unconstitutional surveillance;
          3. Hold accountable those public officials who are found to be responsible for this unconstitutional surveillance.

"Reform" is the first fucking thing they say.

Now, please don't interpret my critique of Rall's inclusion of this MSNBC article as a defense of MSNBC - which I loathe. But it's not particularly egregious to read the demands of the group that organized the protest and use them as a guide to the purpose of the protest.

And frankly, it sounds like some of Rall's wrath should be directed at the organizers who, so typically of many grassroots activists on the left, made such impotent and pathetic demands as to lead with "reform" of the fucking Patriot Act. Reform the Patriot Act? What happened to repeal?

Makes me think of Oliver. "Please sir, may we have salt with our gruel?"

One of these days, maybe, liberals will develop spines and stop demanding only that which they believe they believe they can get without too much fuss.

As for AP and USA Today, this diary is spot on - except to say that this form of disinformation is "new".

•  Gore & Bob Barr teamed up on civil liberties (10+ / 0-)

in the Bush/Cheney years.  While Gore is anything but an "extremist," it's an example of what is being advocated here.  My recollection is that their speaking together was received positively here at the time.

Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream of things that never were and ask why not?

by RFK Lives on Thu Nov 07, 2013 at 10:46:29 AM PST

•  So the "extreme" left is equally to blame (13+ / 0-)

for the country's woes as the extreme right?

I don't think so.

Though it doesn't surprise me you feel that way, now that I think about it.

by DeadHead on Thu Nov 07, 2013 at 10:50:42 AM PST

•  Jumping top unfounded conclusions again DeadHead (0+ / 0-)

Which seems to be SOP for you.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Thu Nov 07, 2013 at 01:16:31 PM PST

•  Perhaps you missed the question mark (1+ / 0-)
            ek hornbeck

At the end of my first sentence.

As in, I asked you a question in order to get you to expand on your comment. I assumed your answer based on my reading of the comment you typed, as well as some of your other recent commentary which, in my view, also supports that conclusion.

Rather than clarifying it for me either way, you instead opted for ad hominem crap about my supposed "SOP."

The standard operating procedure of a person who brought us the phrase, "makes you one with the worst of Teabaggerdom."

I'll jump to another conclusion:

Apparently the "extremists of all stripes" to whom you refer above do not include those "extremists" who are on the "extreme" ends of the ideological spectrum, which leaves me wondering what kind of "extremists" you were talking about.

by DeadHead on Thu Nov 07, 2013 at 02:34:06 PM PST

•  Yeah, those extremist abolitionist were horrible (9+ / 0-)

They wanted every person freed from chattel slavery. Damn extremists. And all those environmental extremists who want us to completely stop carbon emissions so there's no global warming. Damn extremists. And seriously, those extremists who just want to get rid of Jim Crow! How dare they!

I've seen this happen so many times, I've learned to expect it.
        Like when else? What was the other horrible cause that had bipartisan grassroots support in our lifetime?