View Diary: Is posting cached links to unpublished/deleted diaries acceptable behavior at Daily Kos? (292 comments)

•  I sent this to admin, for what is worth: (0+ / 0-)
    Highly Offensive Invective About Testicles

Dear Admin,

At this point I'm a little concerned about the fairness of moderation at Daily Kos since I have not received answers to reports of egregious violation of site rules, which I've only reported three or four times (if I'm not mistaken).

I'd like to think that site guidelines are to be applied to everybody equally, without bias or prejudice...

Either way, I'm writing to report what I think can be considered a gross violation of site rules, in that a couple of users have engaged in highly personal insults where very crass allusions to  "balls" (as in testicles) are used.

I'm calling attention to this post in particular:

""No problem with "balls" when you are referring to someone's actual testicles (or metaphoric ones) - the comment above was talking about Ray in particular. You may be thinking of the opposition some have to using "balls" as a metaphor for courage. That is because that usage implies that women lack courage.

Other idiomatic uses of "balls" that would be fine are "Balls!" as an expletive of dismissal or "all balled up" for a confused situation (not sure about the origin of that one), or "have by the balls" for putting someone in a tight spot."

Again, I find this highly offensive.  I do hope appropriate action is taken... If this report is also ignored, I'm afraid it will show some type of double standard when it comes to the enforcement of site rules (especially in these kind of gross violations), something which is not good for Daily Kos' reputation, IMHO.

Respectfully,

Ray Pensador

•  Ray, I said nothing about the comment directed at (5+ / 0-)

you. I was responding to the comment that said that they thought the word "balls" was per se off limits. My comment was explaining to them that using "balls"' as a metaphor for courage was offensive to many as misogyny, but that other metaphors using "balls" had not (so far as I know) come under any particular restraint.

I did not endorse the comment directed toward you. I would not personally be likely to use any of the idioms I discussed, but they fall within the quite broad spectrum of language here.

I really find your note funny.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? . . . and respect the dignity of every human being.

by Wee Mama on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 04:08:19 PM PST

•  So referring to balls as in "courage" is a no-no (1+ / 0-)
        TheMomCat

but referring to busting balls as in the busting of testicles, that's just dandy because, well, one is misogynistic, and the other is being used as some kind of insult alluding to actual, real balls?  And furthermore, the fact that it refers to someone's "actual testicles," or "metaphoric ones" is just fine, in your view.

Now, as you know, there are similar metaphors when it comes to women... The word in question can be used as an insult to call somebody a coward, or it could actually be used as an actual body part of a women.

Speaking of courage, let's see if you can have the intellectual fortitude to back up your position...

Do you think it would be appropriate for somebody to make an allusion to a female sexual organ as part of an argument or discussion in this forum?

•  It is hard to believe that I need to spell this (4+ / 0-)

out for you, but apparently I do.

"She's really got balls!"
          "He needs to get some balls!"

both imply that balls=courage. By that equation, they also implicitly state that women don't have courage.

Expressions like "bust his balls" express animosity towards someone, because the testicles are very fragile. I have never seen the expression used about a woman, but the metaphorical sense would transfer.

Using "bust X's balls" is a vivid but very crude way to express animosity; it derives from the real fragility of the testicles.

Using "X has balls" for courage uses a false equivalence, one that reflects centuries, millenia of misogyny.

To answer your question explicitly:

Only if the discussion involved childbirth, rape or some other process that takes place there.

by Wee Mama on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 05:08:57 PM PST

•  Interesting. So by hiding behind the shield of (1+ / 0-)
            TheMomCat

political correctness when it comes to misogyny, you feel free to offend at will and with total impunity by making actual references to my balls, and how it is okay to talk about busting them or not, and make references to balls/testicles being "fragile," and doing all of it claiming that it is you that's showing courage!

That is truly amazing!

I'm moving on... I thought I just would point out the low-brow crassness of it all when I read your post referring to my testicles; I thought at least I had that right since you were so inclined on making that comment, and have now dug in deeper into even crassness.

Again, I'll leave it in the hands of the moderators.

•  I should add that any call for violence is off (2+ / 0-)
      serendipityisabitch, Hey338Too

limits, directed anywhere. My comment was responding, as you would know if you went up one comment in the thread, to the idea that the word "balls" itself is off limits.

by Wee Mama on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 04:15:22 PM PST

•  Ray, you're supposed to be the one who's up on all (5+ / 0-)
      Wee Mama, Hey338Too, Timaeus, CenPhx, AnnetteK

admin pronouncements. I believe I heard a statement from Kos once, something to the effect that "we're adults here", and as such, "adult" language is permitted on the site.

Especially in meta-comments like the one which has you so upset, in which the working limits of terminology are being explored. The only reason I can imagine that you would make this comprehensive reply to Wee Mama, rather than the original commenters in this thread, is that she is going to be determinedly polite to you, no matter how offensive you become.

And you have indeed become offensive. I'm speaking now of the entire thread below, during which you have managed to insult her as a coward, crass, unethical, and a liar. That "one little step" you've been talking about? You just took it, again, against someone who has shown you no malice whatsoever.  Why? Because it was safer than doing it against someone like, say, Inland or jbou who would take strips off your hide for doing it?

At least half the future I've been expecting hasn't gotten here yet. Sigh.... (Yes, there's gender bias in my name; no, I wasn't thinking about it when I signed up. My apologies.)

by serendipityisabitch on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 07:24:07 PM PST

•  no wonder they ignore you (2+ / 0-)
      serendipityisabitch, Timaeus

You're about as whiny as they come and you are a hypocrite. You fail to see your own flaws because your ego blinds you. You fail on so many fronts but you continue to soldier on. You're like the Energizer Bunny just banging along stuck up against the wall saying the same things over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

You're heading down Troubador lane. Good luck.

I sing praises in the church of nonsense, but in my heart I'm still an atheist, demanding sense of all things.

by jbou on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 07:48:26 PM PST

•  Both, creepy and kind of funny at the same (0+ / 0-)

time.  In a way is also kind of flattering, the obsession, the vehemence with which you and the other five or six attack me.  It reeks of desperation.  From now on I'll treat it as someone suggested the other day, just some unimportant ankle-biting.

Troubador lane?  You wish.

•  and here comes the victim card (4+ / 0-)

It's never you it's always someone else.

Classify as you wish I can't control how you perceive me nor do I want to.

You are heading down Troubador lane because you share the same problem he had your ego is our of control.

by jbou on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 08:25:28 PM PST

•  This comment should be preserved for posterity. (6+ / 0-)

That is one of the (unintentionally) funniest comments ever posted at Daily Kos.

The headline is an instant, all-time classic:

Highly Offensive Invective About Testicles
      I'm thinking of using that for my sig line.

"Bob Johnson doesn't have special privileges, because really, why would I entrust that guy with ANYTHING?" - kos

by Bob Johnson on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 10:43:44 PM PST

•  How about sending it to Top Comments? (3+ / 0-)
        Wee Mama, Hey338Too, poco

That would certainly create the pie fight to end all pie fights, at a minimum, so no, probably not... the mental picture is incredible, though.

by serendipityisabitch on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 11:41:06 PM PST

•  Need a tissue to wipe away the tears? (2+ / 0-)
      Wee Mama, Hey338Too

On the other hand, perhaps a pertinent anecdote from my grandmother will suffice.

She told me to never point fingers at anyone because when I did, there were always 3 fingers pointing back at me.

Try it and look at your hand.  Yup, you'll see 3 fingers pointing back at yourself.

Please stop pointing at yourself with 3 times the fingers in the future.

There already is class warfare in America. Unfortunately, the rich are winning.

by Puddytat on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 11:47:20 PM PST