Skip to main content

View Diary: The revenge of the insurance industry (175 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Their days are numbered (10+ / 0-)

    The insurance executives and their investors know that this whole mess will eventually lead to single payer. They are just trying to make as much money as fast as they can because they know the party is almost over.

    "For all those whose cares have been our concern, the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives and the dream shall never die." --Senator Ted Kennedy

    by Blue Silent Majority on Sun Nov 10, 2013 at 03:55:04 PM PST

    [ Parent ]

    •  How many (6+ / 0-)

      Americans have to go broke or die before this country realizes that capitalism doesn't answer all the questions.  Sometimes public policy is needed.

      "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolution­ary act. " George Orwell

      by zaka1 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 at 04:34:08 PM PST

      [ Parent ]

    •  IMO (5+ / 0-)

      What will happen is that we end up with a system much like Germany or Australia. A basic plan that everyone gets and private options that are heavily controlled but offered for purchase.

      To me this would be the natural progression from the system we have now.

      And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County Down by the Green River where Paradise lay. Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away. John Prine

      by high uintas on Sun Nov 10, 2013 at 04:42:08 PM PST

      [ Parent ]

    •  You're delusional... (7+ / 0-)

      if you think we will get single-payer from this.  The ACA makes the insurance companies a permanent part of our country's health care system.  We are required by law to do business with them.  They aint going anywhere!!(except to laugh on their way to the bank)

      •  Well they are in France and Switzerland too. (3+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:
        Involuntary Exile, ybruti, fhcec

        The insurance companies are used to administer what is basically state provided healthcare, and they take a fee.

        Much like a publicly owned utility.

        I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
        but I fear we will remain Democrats.

        Who is twigg?

        by twigg on Sun Nov 10, 2013 at 06:06:15 PM PST

        [ Parent ]

      •  Agreed, the mandate strengthens (5+ / 0-)

        the insurance industry's grip on power.  ACA is like a vaccine against a single payer system.  It turns the public against further government interference with health care, and it enriches the insurance industry with millions of new mandated customers, giving that industry the resources to rein in the government at will.

        It wouldn't be so bad if president Romney had enacted mandated health insurance, since democrats could rightly tar the plan as a form of republican cronyism.  Now for democrats to push for further reform would be to admit their last effort was an utter failure.  No way do they do that, not for another 20 years at least.

        We done got punk'd by Obama.  

        "When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions" ~ Kurt Cobain, Territorial Pissings

        by Subterranean on Sun Nov 10, 2013 at 06:29:43 PM PST

        [ Parent ]

      •  Medical Loss Ratio (0+ / 0-)

        Under the Affordable Care Act, insurance companies must use at least 85% of the premiums received from customers to pay claims. This meas that they must use at least 85% of your premiums to pay for actual medical treatment. The leaves only 15% to pay for operations and actually turn a profit. Over the long hall the industry won't be able to make money and slowly, state by state, the big private insurance companies will disappear. At that point state governments will have to step in with single payer plans.

        Also, once we have almost all Americans covered with some kind of health plan, people are going to like having coverage, and they will seek more medical care but that will cause everybody's premiums (both individual plans and employer group plans) to go up. These ever-higher premiums will anger both individuals and employers, at which point there will be a demand single payer.

        "For all those whose cares have been our concern, the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives and the dream shall never die." --Senator Ted Kennedy

        by Blue Silent Majority on Mon Nov 11, 2013 at 03:13:40 PM PST

        [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site