View Diary: 13-year-old boy suspended for wearing designer purse (288 comments)

•  Purses not allowed? (11+ / 0-)

How can they do that when girls at that age need to use, and presumably carry, feminine hygiene products? I'm a guy, so I might be wrong, but short of prison, and I recognize that many schools closely resemble that, what institution would ban women and girls from carrying a purse? And if it's considered acceptable for girls, who cares if boys do it as well?

Furthermore, no backpacks? How do they get their textbooks from A to B?

The Bush Family: 0 for 4 in Wisconsin

by Korkenzieher on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 07:21:52 AM PST

•  Tha article this post links to (13+ / 0-)

Says that in certain classes (like homeroom) purses are not allowed, they are to be stored in their lockers, that is the Principals defense.

So my question is, was Skyler asked to not carry his purse into classes, where, according to the Principal, no one else is allowed to have a purse, OR is the Principal lying and Skyler unfairly being targeted?

Honestly, it's a fair question.  In one scenario, Tyler is being discriminated against, and anger is justified.  In the other scenario, Tyler is the one expecting special treatment.  But either way, the follow up question by the media was never actually asked.

•  I think you're wrong on that. The kid's argument (1+ / 0-)
        FogCityJohn

is that other people are allowed to carry bags or purses, therefore he should be able to carry one of his own choosing.

He specifically states he wants to be treated like everyone else.

There is no indication of the situation you describe in any of the reporting on this or the kid's or his family's statements.

by YucatanMan on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 09:00:21 AM PST

•  Quote from the linked article (0+ / 0-)

"But Blome insists that the district does not discriminate based on gender.

"We are not going out there to discriminate against anybody," he said.

He said he has been superintendent for six years and that even before his arrival that junior high students couldn't bring bags into the core classes.

"That's been a long-standing rule," he said, adding he believes it dates back at least 10 years.

He explained that if a student refused to abide by the rule that a teacher would send the student to the office. If the student again refused to comply, then Blome said the student could be suspended."

So, the question is, is Skylar bringing the bag into classes that he's not allowed to, that no other student is?  OR, are other students bringing them in but they've said he can't.  There is nothing in the new reports answering that question.

•  My kids have the no purses, no backpacks and no (7+ / 0-)

coats/parkas in class rule at their middle school. They carry the big fabric zipper binders with lots of pouches and textbooks are mostly a thing of the past.

I think the restrictions on backpacks and such is mainly driven by the fact that funding cuts have resulted in large class sizes and overcrowded classrooms so they try to get the kids to keep as much stuff as possible in their lockers.

•  see the Texas State Capital, (3+ / 0-)
      commonmass, BlackSheep1, craigkg

last August, during the second special session called by Gov. Rick Perry.  And following court rulings, still not over.

For example.

This school, I dunno.

I'm part of the "bedwetting bunch of website Democrat base people (DKos)." - Rush Limbaugh, 10/16/2012 Torture is Wrong! We live near W so you don't have to. Send love.

by tom 47 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 08:17:24 AM PST

•  Isn't it a well known fact... (1+ / 0-)
        tom 47

...that Texas women carry jars of urine and ziplock baggies of feces in their purses? That's what David Dewhurst told us.

"Lesbian and gay people are a permanent part of the American workforce, who currently have no protection from the arbitrary abuse of their rights on the job." --Coretta Scott King

by craigkg on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 09:22:10 AM PST

•  I was referring of course to the confiscation (1+ / 0-)
          craigkg

of women's personal hygiene items, but you're right, that was the false pretext given and later proven to be both manufactured by the DPS and Dewhurst and to have been completely unbased in fact.  Like facts ever bother these guys.

by tom 47 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 11:20:29 AM PST

•  Korkenzieher: in my HS days a buddy carried (1+ / 0-)
      Korkenzieher

hers in a (no-kidding, but well-washed) Skoal can.

My mom was anti-internal-methods. I kept mine folded double in a jeans pocket. The year I actually had cargo pants was a gift from Ceiling Cat, 'cause I had enough pockets to get through the day....

LBJ, Van Cliburn, Ike, Wendy Davis, Lady Bird, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 10:56:48 AM PST

• Recommended (131)
  • Community (66)
  • Elections (25)
  • Environment (24)
  • Media (23)
  • Culture (22)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Science (21)
  • Law (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Labor (19)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Marriage Equality (17)
  • Economy (17)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Hillary Clinton (15)
  • Rescued (15)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site