View Diary: Police dashcam video of tragic car chase in Ames, Iowa (87 comments)

•  At that point, he was endangering a lot of (8+ / 0-)

people on the campus of ISU, including intentionally ramming the patrol car. He was driving totally recklessly. I wish they would've shot out the tires, but I'm not sure that would've stopped him. This is a tragedy from all angles, but could've been infinitely worse if Tyler had injured or killed someone on a sidewalk or the ISU campus.

•  I Know Enough Cops to Know If I Were Behaving (6+ / 0-)

that way in that setting that I'd expect zero lifespan.

by Gooserock on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 12:40:36 PM PST

•  no civilians were on that field as the video shows (7+ / 0-)

and the truck was stalled, and as long as we're using hypotheticals, a single non-lethal round from a shot gun could have neutralized the suspect, since the officer shot through the cab window. The standard 00 buckshot loaded in police shotguns could have been used on the tires since the vehicle was not moving quickly on that grassy field. and contrary to the report, the two cop cars were not disabled. They just wanted to shoot him, adrenaline will out.

Warning - some snark may be above‽ (-9.50; -7.03)‽ eState4Column5©2013 "I’m not the strapping young Muslim socialist that I used to be" - Barack Obama 04/27/2013

by annieli on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 12:46:57 PM PST

•  The video from the ISU Police dash cam (5+ / 0-)

showed him just missing a student, as he was backing through the lawn displays. Other articles report students were starting to approach to watch, and then retreated when they heard the gun shots.
        In the audio on both videos you hear the officer on the radio reporting that the truck engine was still running after the shots were fired.
        I don't know why the ISU Police officer drove up on that rock, but you can tell that that cruiser  is stuck.

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. H. L. Mencken

by MikeIa on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 01:00:30 PM PST

•  sad that so many in this comment section would (3+ / 0-)
          longtalldrink, WisePiper, lyvwyr101

condone killing someone so easily, but it did save the state of Iowa the cost of incarceration so there's that.

by annieli on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 01:05:40 PM PST

•  I find it amazing--too. (0+ / 0-)

In comparison---so  many public-shooting-rampage-killers survive to be taken into custody in this country.

You gotta wonder is it because there are so many witnesses and cameras involved?

"The people who were trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off. Why should I?”---Bob Marley

by lyvwyr101 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 at 07:18:20 AM PST

•  Yes, my thoughts also (3+ / 0-)
        annieli, longtalldrink, lyvwyr101

They just wanted to shoot him.

•  not uncommon in officer involved shootings (1+ / 0-)
          lyvwyr101

the reason why they take the time to investigate each one.  and that's the official version justified by the DA. YMMV

by annieli on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 01:24:03 PM PST

•  This is on a college campus (4+ / 0-)

a few more seconds of driving in about any direction would have put him directly into areas potentially full of pedestrians, this was a college campus during a weekday.

Just because he wasn't driving right through the middle of a parade doesn't mean people weren't in imminent danger if he wasn't stopped.

•  no civilians were on that field as the video shows (1+ / 0-)
          lyvwyr101

at that moment in time when he was as the DA says, he was justifiably neutralized but of course, the kid could have been hauling an WMD in that truck and a member of the Iowa branch of Al-Q, (Steve King may indeed be correct), perhaps not at ISU (not immune from Islamophobia BTW) but from the international student populations among the U of Iowa Hawkeyes or even from the even more dangerous TC Panthers of the University of Northern Iowa, and if the chase had continued, and reversed direction the capitol of Iowa itself would have been in danger down the Interstate...OTOH this may the first wave of nicotine-fit-related terrorist incidents just looking for a parade to plow into

by annieli on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 02:11:15 PM PST

•  Maybe you missed the bit (3+ / 0-)
            greenbell, BlackSheep1, SulaymanF

where I pointed out that just because YOU don't see civilians in the field doesn't mean people weren't in danger if the pursuit continued.  A car travelling at 40 mph covers about 200 yards in 10 seconds.  The pursuit at that point had reached speeds exceeding 70 mph at times.  How large do you think the ISU campus is, exactly, and how far away do you think those dorms and classrooms in the video are?

I see that you, like certain others commenting on this incident last night, studied at the School of Hyperbolic Reductio Ad Absurdum Debate.  Can we dial that back a wee bit, m'kay?

•  no you're right, there could have been students (1+ / 0-)
              lyvwyr101

making out in the bushes or working out algebra problems (A car travelling at 40 mph covers about 200 yards in 10 seconds) and those poor gophers think of the gophers ISU's campus is large and flat, so you can see bad stuff from pretty far away, sirens not being foreign to an area that gets cyclones(sic).

Don't argue from hypotheticals. it's over and a person is dead not even able to appreciate your concern for bystanders

by annieli on Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 02:26:19 PM PST

•  Faulty logic (1+ / 0-)
                SulaymanF

You're seeing what you want to see, not what's actually there.  You're so immersed in the view you want to hold you're not willing to acknowledge that this kid willfully endangered people.

I don't give a fuck if you do or don't think a truck could have run someone over ten seconds later.  The great thing is that facts and physics are true whether or not you choose to believe in them or not.

But I'm done arguing with you, because you've already made clear that you've made up your mind as to what your reality is going to be, and no facts or logical arguments are going to get in the way of that.  Congratulations, you've learned to think like a Republican!

•  You don't have the perspective to know that (2+ / 0-)
        Witgren, BlackSheep1

I've been on that campus many times and kids come from all directions there.  Unless the police had the entire perimeter secure they could not have known that no one would be at risk.

I'm not saying that they made the correct decision to shoot the kid.  I don't know that.  But many commenting on this thread and others don't have a sufficient perspective on the layout of the campus and how central this area is to surrounding buildings and foot traffic through the campus.

•  My opinion--too. (0+ / 0-)

by lyvwyr101 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 at 07:13:13 AM PST

•  "shoot the tires" (2+ / 0-)
      Santa Susanna Kid, SulaymanF

I'll bet that's one of those things that only happens in movies.