View Diary: 50th anniversary TV specials on the JFK assassination are OK up to a point (70 comments)

•  Presented without editorial comment (1+ / 0-)
    Sky Net
    •  I'll comment. (0+ / 0-)

I didn't read the site, but I did notice there's a section allegedly debunking Kennedy's status as a liberal.  I can tell you the "facts" presented are untrue.  Kennedy was not a "cold warrior."  He had signed an order to start removing even the advisors from Viet Nam, and was trying to normalize relations with Castro when he died.  He also agreed to take down our nukes in Turkey in exchange for the Cuban missiles.  He was a man of peace, and he never hesitated to engage in dialogue.  He infuriated people like Curtis Lemay, who wanted to blow Cuba to smithereens when we saw the missiles there.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers

by Kentucky DeanDemocrat on Sat Nov 09, 2013 at 03:34:12 PM PST

•  You should read the site (0+ / 0-)

Kennedy had signed an order to start removing advisors from Vietnam (which he'd increased from 500 to 15000 in the previous couple years), but only because the military insisted that the war was being won and it was time to start winding it down.  He wasn't giving up on Vietnam.

Cynicism is what passes for insight among the mediocre.

by Sky Net on Sat Nov 09, 2013 at 03:43:31 PM PST

•  Think what you want. (0+ / 0-)

At least you aren't arguing that he wasn't getting out of Vietnam.  You're just coming up with some rationale that fits your theory.  Fine.  Enjoy.  But I shall avoid that site like the plague.  It's lost all credibility claiming that Kennedy was not a liberal or that he was just another mindless "cold warrior" rather than an extraordinary man who sought peace through working with Communists (to the extreme rage of the right wing).

by Kentucky DeanDemocrat on Sat Nov 09, 2013 at 05:17:46 PM PST

•  So go read other history (0+ / 0-)

This isn't some rationale I made up.  It's in all the history books about the Vietnam war.

Cynicism is what passes for insight among the mediocre.

by Sky Net on Sat Nov 09, 2013 at 05:24:52 PM PST

•  I've read history, thanks. (0+ / 0-)

Though I don't presume to have read "all" the history books about the Vietnam War.

The executive order is a source document, and it's the very last word we have from the man himself.  The rest -- except for Robert Kennedy's words -- is conjecture.

by Kentucky DeanDemocrat on Sat Nov 09, 2013 at 05:30:49 PM PST

•  History (0+ / 0-)

So you're going to interpret history so that it fits your theory instead of putting it into historical context.  Fine.  Enjoy.

Cynicism is what passes for insight among the mediocre.

by Sky Net on Sat Nov 09, 2013 at 05:44:41 PM PST