View Diary: Far-right Texas Republican wins local seat by pretending to be black (102 comments)

•  Apparently, voters spend more time turning (10+ / 0-)

cans of soup over and reading the ingredients than checking out who the hell they've voted into office.

I don't know who deserves more slaps upside the head, Wilson for being a lying sack of shit or voters for being so gullible.

•  Really, I think things worked out fine. (0+ / 0-)

Hopefully, the citizenry will take this little lesson on the price of political ignorance to heart.

•  every so often (3+ / 0-)
      Turn Left, aitchdee, Eyesbright

I get confronted with having to vote of for school board members and I have no idea who is who.  Not even a mailer.  I have to try to call people who might be better informed.  How much publicity did this race get?  I am betting zilch.

•  There should be a option on every ballot (0+ / 0-)

which is "don't know, don't care". That way people don't feel compelled to fill in every bubble, when they only care about 1 or 2 people at the top of the ticket.

•  When in doubt ... (3+ / 0-)
        Eyesbright, davehouck, DSPS owl

... vote for the teacher's union endorsed candidate. They're certainly not tax pac and they are the ones who have your children's concerns at heart.

BTW, as way of full disclosure - I'm a teacher ...

•  More slop for uninformed piggies (0+ / 0-)

Teachers Unions care about one thing: teacher's paychecks.

BTW, I'm a teacher too. And the crap the union pulls sometimes disgusts me.

Left Coast Libertarian

by pacspeed on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 08:34:20 PM PST

•  I agree... (2+ / 0-)
            diffrntdrummr, rakarlin

Libertarianism is slop for uninformed piggies.

•  That's a lie. (1+ / 0-)
            diffrntdrummr

If that is what you truly believe then IMO you are not intelligent enough to be a teacher.

A proud member of the Professional Left since 1967.

by slatsg on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 09:30:18 PM PST

•  Well then... (0+ / 0-)

Good thing your O doesn't count beyond your one vote and the left wing echo chamber on this particular cul-de-sac of the internet.

Are you a member of the teachers union? Have you sat in on meetings while students an curriculum are thrown under the bus so lazy professors can leave an extra hour early? While entire departments are trimmed so we can keep a 3 week winter break?

I have. And it disgusts me.

Left Coast Libertarian

by pacspeed on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 09:55:46 PM PST

•  I was deeply involved with the union. (3+ / 0-)

I was around when unions were just beginning to organize teachers. And yes, the salaries and benefits of all those involved in education have improved, including those who don't belong to unions and those who are anti-union. Interestingly enough, those anti-union folks are not too eager to give up the benefits for which the union members fought. They're also quite happy to use the grievance process when it suits them.

As to your lie that unions are only interested in improving wages, I can tell you that unions are very much involved in improving and fighting for the children they educate. That was true when I was a teacher and it was equally true when I became an administrator. The teachers at our school took pay cuts and cuts in benefits so that we could keep teachers on staff and maintain low class sizes. They also took cuts so that other school workers could keep their health benefits. What a selfish group they are.

So keep on being disgusted, and keep on receiving those union-earned benefits.

A proud member of the Professional Left since 1967.

by slatsg on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 11:00:54 PM PST

•  Wish I could receive those bennies (0+ / 0-)

but I'm only an adjunct professor....and therefore not entitled to. Cant teach more than 6 units per semester, and cant get bennies without teaching at least 7. Cant get health care, cant get a raise, no pto, no nothing, all because of rules the union put in place.
                    But its an "agency" shop, so I have to pay the dues anyway. Even though some of the tenured faculty are doddering old clowns who couldn't find their ass with both hands...

Left Coast Libertarian

by pacspeed on Wed Nov 13, 2013 at 09:30:16 AM PST

•  The union negotiated with the administration (0+ / 0-)

The admins would prefer that fewer people receive bennies. They fight against any expansion of the pool of people that are eligible. Unions do fight for rights for part time staff. At our school, most of the part time workers do receive some benefits.

More and more universities are hiring part time faculty as a cost savings measure. It's a tactic that has been used for years in industry. So put the blame where it belongs. Without the union, nobody - full time or part time - would receive any benefits.

What has happened in your situation is wrong IMO. You should receive health care. (I am indeed one of those left wing crazies who believe in health care for everyone.) Most unions are fighting for the rights of their part time members, but with the economy as it is, adding benefits is a tough sell. Nonetheless, your union should be fighting for you. If they are not, perhaps you and the other adjunct professors should do a little organizing of your own.

A proud member of the Professional Left since 1967.

by slatsg on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 08:58:26 AM PST

•  Public Sector Unions (1+ / 0-)
                      slatsg

Our nation has surely sunk many ships while repeating the mantra that a rising tide raises all ships.  When the arguments against unions in general are targeted against public sector unions, our nation has been lead astray by the haves who are never satisfied with their riches.

Think about it.  In years gone by, people working in the public sector were mocked for taking low salary jobs - and their response was they are doing it for their hard-won benefits.  Their alternative, so the mockery went, was to have a REAL job with a wage scale fought for by REAL unions.

Now, with private industry unions all but gone, teachers' unions are the last big target for the wealth hoarders to demonize.

Sad, sad, sad.

•  My district (1+ / 0-)
        Naniboujou

I saw no evidence that incumbent Bruce Austin was campaigning.
        There were Dave Wilson signs posted in my neighborhood and I got 3 mailings from him. I already knew about him from his previous races.
        btw he ran last year in the Democratic primary for County Commissioner and lost to an openly gay candidate. A Republican won in November, as usual.
        He has usually run for non-partisan offices, such as city offices. He ran for Mayor of Houston in 2011.

Censorship is rogue government.

by scott5js on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 07:53:25 PM PST

•  Agreed. This episode and the Alvin Green (0+ / 0-)

episode are real black eyes for democracy.

•  To illustrate my point up yonder, (0+ / 0-)

most voters today haven't a clue who Alvin is -- maybe only if shown a refresher YouTube video they'd recall the episode (and soon forget again).  Short memories are the great weakness of the electorate, and the great strength of the elected.

Romae in die non combureretur.

by Not A Bot on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 08:44:53 PM PST

•  Most people have no clue local candidates are (0+ / 0-)

Unless you live in a big city, chances are your local representative gets zero media attention. I have no clue who my town's mayor is, never have, though I know one of our mayors got charged with corruption rated things, but I don't have a clue who that mayor was either.

And really, all guy has done is announce to African Americans to never vote for African American republicans, because they could be easily lying about that. I bet long term he did a lot more damage to his party then he'll be able to do on a school board.