View Diary: The Greenskeeper's Comeuppance for the Racist (91 comments)

•  this is a great story, not just (11+ / 0-)

because this one guy had some trouble that ruined his golf score, but because it illustrates something some folks find hard to believe.   The racists are everywhere, and since most of them have gotten smart enough to keep it to 'just between us white guys' talk,  they get to deny it in public.  The private faces of these racists need to be exposed as often as possible.  It denies coverage not only to the racists, but to folks who aren't personally engaging in that behavior, but refuse to believe it is common.

•  jfromga, your comment (6+ / 0-)

raises the issue of the appropriate response to these kinds of comments in social settings, which can be tricky.

“The answer must be, I think, that beauty and grace are performed whether or not we will or sense them. The least we can do is try to be there.” ― Annie Dillard, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek

by 6412093 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 10:02:25 AM PST

•  one can always (3+ / 0-)
        1BQ, 6412093, RiveroftheWest

politely say,  I don't like the use of perjoratives about groups of people, I would appreciate it if you wouldn't use those words around me, or tell those kind of jokes, whatever fits.  Or you can ignore it.   But that wasn't what I was talking about, so let me try to say it more plainly, the very real and doing well racial animus in this country needs to be exposed and the apologists who try to say there are no dog whistles and people don't think like that any more, that racists are a tiny minority of the population,  that most people never use the n word or think like that any more,  need to hear what people are saying.  No cover, no excuses.

•  jfromga (3+ / 0-)

this is a difficult topic, because in too many cases, naked hate lies just beyond those perjorative expressions.

I'm in the South a lot and maybe I draw too much solace from the racial tolerance I often see among my rural redneck acquaintances.

by 6412093 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 12:13:26 PM PST

•  I say nothing (1+ / 0-)
          6412093

because: a) It's not going to change their minds or their behavior anyway; and b) I want to know what they are thinking, because I want to know who/what I am dealing with.

•  they already stepped over the line (1+ / 0-)
            6412093

and I know what I am dealing with if I have to ask them not to say certain things,  there isn't much going back at that point.   I already know what they think, they told me.   Believe them.  The question is can we all agree that certain things won't be said around me and we can have some kind of relationship despite who these people are, because believe me,  you sometimes have to really limit your social life around here if you can't reach detente.

•  See: Mitt Romney's 47% speech (5+ / 0-)

Classic example of 'just between us'-speak. In the past the speaker could assume his comments would stay within the confines of the foursome, the clubhouse, or the private party. But these days, with anyone able to record or blog about such comments (and especially since Mitt Romney's debacle), I would have thought that people like Mr. Hyde, who believe themselves to be "not a racist, but..." would be more circumspect about their audience before they blather on. I imagine their circles of 'just between us' having to get smaller and smaller.

“No, Governor Romney, corporations are not people.” ~ my Senator Elizabeth Warren

by Domestic Elf on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 10:20:20 AM PST

•  Domestic Elf, (3+ / 0-)

the 47% speech is a perfect example of the shrinking circle of "just among us."

by 6412093 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 10:38:32 AM PST

•  as white people shrink as a percentage (4+ / 0-)

of population, as older people die off and the youngest generations have more influence, the circles will continue to get smaller.   But until then we still have significant majority white prejudice and some between minority prejudice to deal with.  We also have a power imbalance that even a more equal population percentage for whites won't address for even longer.  And there are regional aspects, the south and pockets outside urban areas, some suburbs, etc. all across the country.

Mostly racism isn't anywhere near dead, and right now, its coming out into the open in ways not seen since the civil rights battles of the 60's in my opinion.

•  "racism is coming out into the open" - the baggers (4+ / 0-)

and their 1%er enablers have stoked the fears of the uninformed into adopting, and then amplifying, racist memes. I'm continually shocked by the dog whistles becoming bullhorns. So many bagots - bagger bigots - don't try very hard to hide the racist nature of their opposition to any attempt to use taxpayer funds to help the most disadvantaged among us. Never mind that "there, but for the stroke of luck, go I." In their world, if you get laid off from a job because your employer chose to eliminate your job, it's somehow your fault. Race to the bottom, indeed

preborner: (n.) one who believes that the right to life begins at conception and ends at birth.

by 1BQ on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 11:31:54 AM PST

•  many of those people (5+ / 0-)

were racists to start with,  they weren't enticed when the teabagger phenomenon started up by the adoption of racist memes,  they heard their own kind calling to them.   Please,  do not remove direct personal responsibility from these people.  They don't have to be racists, they don't have to enjoy being racists, they don't have to feel superior to other human beings for accidents of birth, color, or plain bad luck.   They can choose to be better people.  Many of them go to Christian churches, and since they place so much value on being Christian, they could read their new testaments and heed the lessons  of their Savior.

•  It does seem like a lashing out right now (3+ / 0-)
          6412093, jfromga, Cassandra Waites

As those circles get smaller, the people inside them get more frustrated at and confused by the changing environment. They used to be able to behave this way with impunity, and seem to be raging against a world in which they now can't. But you are right in your comment below - they don't have to be that way.

by Domestic Elf on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 01:55:24 PM PST

•  The part that always bothers me (4+ / 0-)

is when they assume that because I'm white, they can say that shit around me, as if being ok with such talk is the default for white people.

• Recommended (141)
  • Community (70)
  • Civil Rights (26)
  • Elections (26)
  • Environment (26)
  • Media (25)
  • Culture (25)
  • Law (24)
  • Memorial Day (24)
  • Science (23)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (22)
  • Labor (21)
  • Economy (20)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Rescued (19)
  • Marriage Equality (18)
  • Climate Change (17)
  • Republicans (17)
  • Education (17)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site