View Diary: Black People Do Not Have the Luxury of Being Strangers: Renisha McBride was Killed by the White Gaze (65 comments)

•  The problem is that it isn't just hate (18+ / 0-)

and it isn't conscious. Even people who are liberal and otherwise not racist make racist snap judgments. People are more likely to perceive an object in a black man's hand as a gun than they would in a white mans hand. Even if they are black. The more we make this simply about hate the more we obscure the deeper problems.

•  One of those deeper problems (11+ / 0-)

is that our ALEC sponsored gun laws too easily enable people to act on those racist snap judgments and just take a life, just like that. Snap, snap. Don't like the music in the next car? Snap, snap! Someone's kid is dead.

Someone knocks on the door in the dead of night? If you are really that scared you won't open the gdnm door. The gun made that man feel empowered to open the door and take offensive action.

Thanks to New York's strict gun laws, Glenda Moore's tragedy of losing her boys, wasn't compounded by a shooting on the porch.

"They did not succeed in taking away our voice" - Angelique Kidjo - Opening the Lightning In a Bottle concert at Radio City Music Hall in New York City - 2003

by LilithGardener on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 01:41:28 PM PST

•  to me Glenda Moore's tragedy was almost (12+ / 0-)

worst than getting shot on the porch...  to think that no one would help her and her children during that storm just rips my heart out.  I have been refraining from commenting lately because all I can seem to say is the mother fuckers... that's what I think of those people that wouldn't help her.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment." *Ansel Adams* ."Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."*Will Rogers*

by Statusquomustgo on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 01:58:15 PM PST

•  So true. Even if she hadn't been shot, the fact (5+ / 0-)

that she could seek help and get none sickens me.

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!

by bigtimecynic on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 02:13:55 PM PST

•  Let's be fair (2+ / 0-)
          Statusquomustgo, Amber6541

as fair as we can be to all parties.

I live in NY and my partner studied the reports of that tragic situation.

The place where that occurred is the last street of that neighborhood, facing a park, the beach, and the ocean beyond. The water had probably already been up over the street for a few hours. There had been pre-announced time that the Verrazano bridge would be closed for the duration of the storm.

Mr. Moore was a work. Glenda had to get her two kids to a relative's or friends so that she could report for work (that night or the next day, I don't remember).

There may have been traffic backed up going onto the Verrazzano. She probably took a short cut, going down hill toward the beach, in an effort to make the bridge on time. On Father Cappodano boulevard she likely encountered high water and might have tried to turn around. It was probably hard to stay on the road because it was already covered with water. She drove off the edge of the road and got stuck. She got out and took her boys out of their car seats. Her boys were swept away by a large wave. This was probably right as the storm surge was really coming in full force. She managed to climb up steps to the man's porch and tried to get his attention.

He was probably scared too, about losing his home, about how bad it could still get. The man may have lost power, might have had no access to any news about the storm. IIRC he lives alone. So maybe he was afraid of being taken advantage of by unscupulous actors? When you live in NYC you don't throw your doors open to someone who knocks. Period. That's not racist. That's prudence, living in a large city.

Now you might ask why didn't he call 911 on her behalf? Maybe he tried. Or maybe he didn't have any phone service. As the storm surge hit, the NYC 911 system was overwhelmed, getting 10,000 calls per half hour. A lot of calls did not get through. The Office of Emergency Management posted notice on the local TV station not to call unless your life was at stake.

During the same time there was a fire in Queens where more than 100 homes burned as firefighters and others had to just watch. They couldn't get in close enough and hook up to water hydrants. The volunteer firefighters in that neighborhood were flooded out and were busy rescuing themselves and getting people out.

But back to Glenda Moore. The man didn't have a gun, he didn't shoot her, and she survived the night huddled on his back porch. I read this week that she and her husband are planning to have more children.

That's the difference of a state with tight gun laws and a state with ALEC sponsored SYG laws.

by LilithGardener on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 02:23:50 PM PST

•  regardless of the gun issue & everything else (3+ / 0-)
            LilithGardener, Amber6541, bumbi

What the hell... huddled on his back porch?!?!?!?

{{{{shakes head in absolute bewilderment}}}}

by Statusquomustgo on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 02:29:10 PM PST

•  Another thing to bear in mind (3+ / 0-)
              Statusquomustgo, Amber6541, bumbi

They were in zone A, that was under a mandatory evacuation order. She chose to drive there, he chose to stay there. His house is the last one at the end of the block next to a large open field.

He may have stayed out of fear that an empty house was a magnet for thieves or looting. It's very easy to judge others' mistakes in retrospect. The two of them were just 2 out of hundreds of thousands who ignored the mandatory evacuation order for zone A.

We all make our own calculated guesses about the risk. I'm not saying what he did was right. I'm just saying it's possible to understand it, if we acknowledge the fact that many people were complacent because Hurricane Irene passed over NYC as a virtual whisper. By the time Hurricane Sandy storm surge was here, it was too late for people to make back up plans.

YMMV.

by LilithGardener on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 02:38:41 PM PST

•  I just can't wrap my head around it (0+ / 0-)

there is no justification that can make me understand...

by Statusquomustgo on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 02:51:52 PM PST

•  he was a very generous home owner letting that (10+ / 0-)

poor Negress huddle there in a hurricane. a model for our humanity.

•  christian charity at it best... (1+ / 0-)
                bumbi

by Statusquomustgo on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 02:52:46 PM PST

•  the thought of letting another human being (1+ / 0-)
                bumbi

huddle on my back porch while I am inside warm and
                comfortable is vile and incomprehensible... regardless of
                the circumstances.

by Statusquomustgo on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 02:55:43 PM PST

•  You're making a lot of assumptions that really (0+ / 0-)

aren't warranted.

People were ordered to evacuate, and people who stayed were warned that the EMS services would not risk their lives to rescue if it was too dangerous to do so. Until I've lived through the experience of having ignored an evacuation order and finding myself surprised to find the Atantic Ocean knocking at my front door... let's just say I can't imagine how terrifying that was and will not pass judgment.

He is not to blame for her lost boys, not in any way. They were swept away by the storm surge. You are missing the fact that NYC experienced an 11 foot storm surge and she ran off the road in water that was deep enough to lift the car with the next wave.

Anger is understandable.

by LilithGardener on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 03:26:18 PM PST

•  I'm just stating how I feel (1+ / 0-)
                    bumbi

I'm not judging just shocked it's the way I feel I didn't say he was responsible for her boys I understand there was a hurricane I just couldn't in good conscience have done that.

by Statusquomustgo on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 04:02:10 PM PST

•  I hear you - it horrifies me too (1+ / 0-)
                      Statusquomustgo

And I can't imagine what kind of world he lives in, before the storm, what would make someone who lives at the beach, literally facing the beach, decide to stay through a hurricane? And I can't imagine what how small is life is now that he's famous for letting her tough out the storm outside on his back deck.

by LilithGardener on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 10:56:31 AM PST

•  My judgement of him (3+ / 0-)
                    high uintas, TheDuckManCometh, bumbi

has nothing to do with her boys... He denied a sobbing woman entrance to his home DURING A HURRICANE for 12 HOURS when she literally had nowhere else to go with the water surrounding the house. So she stayed outside where the water could have risen further and drowned her, where any number of debris could strike and injure her... As someone who would probably have died trying to help her find her children and knowing any number of people who would do the same, I can't imagine not even letting her into the house.

•  Actually, that's one of the symptoms (2+ / 0-)
        LilithGardener, bumbi

Those gun laws come from the racism and are an attempt to enforce the racism. They are a problem for sure, but they are the symptom as much as the disease.

•  totally understand what you are saying... (7+ / 0-)

it's just hard for me to grasp why people are so afraid that they
      make the racist snap judgements to begin with.  I travel all
      over, work will all kinds of people in some strange places
      for my job and I have found that if you smile at someone and
      ask "how are you today" no matter what color they are they
      smile back and reply "fine how are you".

It's all so senseless, unnecessary and sad...  We are all just
      humans with the same goals/aspirations to love and take
      care of our families, to make a living and be left alone to live
      in peace.

Sigh... sorry if I sound stupid, just care about everyone, have
      stopped for anyone I see that needed help no matter who they
      were, have fed the homeless no matter who they were, have
      hugged and comforted people in sad times no matter who they
      were.  I guess I'm just simple.

by Statusquomustgo on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 01:50:53 PM PST

•  Are you kidding me? With all the white gun nuts (6+ / 0-)

walking around, and the fact that most mass shootings are by white guys,  I view white people with MORE suspicion than black people when someone is acting "odd."

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!

by bigtimecynic on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 02:12:52 PM PST

•  funny, so do I... (4+ / 0-)
        bigtimecynic, Matt Z, Amber6541, bumbi

by Statusquomustgo on Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 02:29:37 PM PST

•  Well, it's not about facts, its about perception (2+ / 0-)
        Amber6541, TheDuckManCometh

That's what the white gaze is, perception.

You're also more likely to be the victim of wage theft, but no one talks about that as an everyday threat, or at least most people don't. What we're talking about is our conditioned reaction based on what the media and culture feeds us.

And you might have a learned suspicion but what I'm talking about is different. People of all different races are more likely to perceive and object held by a black man as a gun. It cuts across race line even. People are very surprised when they are tested and find out that they too have these conditioned responses.