View Diary: Why Mary Landrieu's Obamacare bill is a political winner (201 comments)

•  Not A Win Win, but a Win! (31+ / 0-)

I think it would be politically smart to get behind the Landrieu/Merkley "Fix" Bill for the following reasons:

- I don't see it doing any real harm to the ACA.  It will only apply to a very small group of people, the majority of which will probably drop their "grandfathered" policy for something better and cheaper they find on the ACA exchange, once the bill forces insurance providers to tell them that there are better options.

- I am sure President Obama did not deliberately mislead people when he repeatedly said you could keep your existing insurance if you choose (although I'm also sure most right-wing wackos believe he deliberately lied).  This is simply one of those little "weedy" details he knew nothing about and was never intended to hurt anyone.  So as I see it the bill just restores the original intent of the ACA.

- Next (I like this one most of all), it puts the Republicans in a bind.  Either they can support this common sense fix or they can continue their thinly disguised attempt to kill the ACA by pushing for their bill to allow insurance providers to continue to offer ACA-substandard "CRAP" policies that cover virtually nothing and screwing policy holders.

- Lastly, it gets rid of a major Republican Anti-ACA talking point, leaving only the web site problem for them to complain about, and we all know that will get fixed.

Anyway, that's my take, for what its worth!

"Some men see things as they are and ask, 'Why?' I dream of things that never were and ask, 'Why not?"

by Doctor Who on Wed Nov 13, 2013 at 01:49:03 PM PST

•  Mine was cancelled, and I certainly don't (13+ / 0-)

want it back. The one time I needed it I was out over $10,000 out of pocket before full coverage finally kicked in.

Oh, I used to be disgusted
      Now I try to be amused
      ~~ Elvis Costello

by smileycreek on Wed Nov 13, 2013 at 02:41:37 PM PST

•  Mine was cancelled, and I want it back! (2+ / 0-)
        flatford39, smileycreek

It had a lower deductible and lower co-pays/max out of pocket.  And if I could get it back, it would save me $1,770.00 a year in premiums!!!

Could we get Boxer and Feinstein to sign on to the Landrieu bill?  I'm going to e-mail them right now to ask that they do.

If Liberals Hated America, We'd Vote Republican

by QuarterHorseDem on Wed Nov 13, 2013 at 03:04:00 PM PST

•  Wait! Wouldn't a subsidy fix your problem? (3+ / 0-)
          smileycreek, Cordyc, loblolly

I think what they should do is let people get a subsidy at the higher incomes that are typical in California.

Are you over the subsidy cliff? (Over $45,000ish for individual, over $62,000ish for a couple?)

I think the subsidy cliff is the underlying problem.

•  Yep, just over and trying to save for retirement (2+ / 0-)
            sotiredofusernames, Cordyc

I called Feinstein's office and e-mailed Boxer.  Feinstein's staffer said he had been getting a boat load of calls like mine.

Hopefully, enough of us will take action(that means getting OFF the Kos for a few minutes and making a call), that our Senators will get the message.  Feinstein clearly is hearing from her constituents.

You are so right:    the subsidy level is too low for our cost of living here.

If Liberals Hated America, We'd Vote Republican

by QuarterHorseDem on Wed Nov 13, 2013 at 08:29:53 PM PST

•  Be careful what you wish for, QuarterHorseDem. (2+ / 0-)
              loblolly, Yumn

There are protections in the ACA policies that aren't in your old policy.  Insurance companies are good at creating all kinds of mine fields.

•  The rate guarantee is the biggy that everyone (1+ / 0-)
                Mgleaf

is ignoring.  In the old Grandfathered plans if your health status changes they can raise your rate.  ACA changes that so you have peace of mind that your rate won't rise if your health changes.

Congressional elections have consequences!

by Cordyc on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 12:59:16 AM PST

•  Unfortunately, this is not the case. (0+ / 0-)

My old policy covered the same things my new policy covers at a rate that was 40% less.  There are no additional benefits in my new policy...the only change is a gigantic rate increase and more out of pocket expenses.

I am supportive of the ACA, I am not supportive of having no options.  All the carriers have the same rate in Northern CA:  that means NO competition.

If Liberals Hated America, We'd Vote Republican

by QuarterHorseDem on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 11:18:15 AM PST

•  really? (0+ / 0-)

You mean your old policy couldn't drop you if you or a family member developed a catastrophic illness? It couldn't cap your yearly or lifetime benefits?Did it allow your kids to stay on until 26?I know to someone facing higher premiums and in relatively good health,those provisions might not seem very important,but to many who've suffered healthcare bankruptcy,it would have been a God send.
                         Let's get this law fully enacted and see what kinds of premium rates finally shake out.

•  And to what trufare said, add, did your old policy (0+ / 0-)

cover pre-existing conditions?  Given the games insurance companies play with pre-existing conditions, that's the big one.  And if they don't cover what they consider to be a pre-existing condition, the money you pay for it doesn't count towards your out-of-pocket maximum either.

•  research (0+ / 0-)

My first obvious question is did you check all your options on the exchange? My second question would be,what does your policy actually cover. Deductibles and co-pays make look very good until you discover that many services or procedures aren't even covered to begin with. And thirdly,do you know what if any subsidies you would qualify for?Until you complete the final parts of the ACA application process,you don't really know what your final premium will be. It could be a lot better than you think.

•  asdf (1+ / 0-)
      bobatkinson
      (although I'm also sure most right-wing wackos believe he deliberately lied).
      They don't believe anything of the sort.

They have simply latched onto a meme they created to bash the President.

They are the worst kind of dishonest.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
      but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?