View Diary: Amazing what people at work will say about the ACA... (197 comments)

•  Find them a competent insurance agent. (11+ / 0-)

I say this because I am 66, on Medicare, have a "gap" coverage policy - and the first letter I got from my insurance agent about the ACA began with "IF YOU WANT YOUR CURRENT COVERAGE TO CONTINUE, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO ANYTHING!"  (Yes, it was in all caps and bold print!) They were very, very clear that the ACA did not affect my Medicare.

So perhaps your parents have a lousy agent?

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." - George Carlin

by Most Awesome Nana on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 07:19:17 AM PST

•  No agent (8+ / 0-)

They don't have an insurance agent OR gap coverage. Dad always talked about how he should get extra coverage, but he decided he didn't want to spend the money. Meanwhile, they've each had health issues in the past decade that cost them tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket that Medicare didn't cover. All they do is grouse about that but still don't want to pay for the gap coverage. My parents are very difficult people and there's no convincing them to do what they should do, no matter how much my brother and I have tried.

•  That's bad. All that wasted money. (4+ / 0-)
        chantedor, BachFan, mumtaznepal, ladybug53

Perhaps they could look at a Medicare Advantage plan? There are some that have no monthly premium and no deductibles - with surprisingly generous coverage. I don't know what state you are in, but see if Coventry Health has plans there. Their no premium/no deductible plans aren't bad.

And the idea of NO monthly premiums just might work.

I should tell you that those plans are HMOs and your parents might have to change doctors.

by Most Awesome Nana on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 09:33:41 AM PST

•  Thanks for the info! (7+ / 0-)

I'll check into it. They're way down in the Florida Keys and don't have much choice in doctors, but they've been going to some kind of low-cost clinic they've found that's been set up for people like seniors on Medicare. A lot of what cost them so much in the past was when they had to get medevaced to a Miami hospital when they had issues beyond the expertise of the Keys hospitals. This has now happened to each of them.

My brother has been trying to get them to move back up north to where he and his wife, plus most of our other relatives, live. (I'm out west in CA.) He even offered to buy them a small house near him when they got upset at the idea of a senior facility. But they won't even consider it. They're living in a house on stilts, where they can barely make it up and down the stairs and hoist up their bags of groceries over the railing with a pulley, rope, and hook Dad rigged up. But they made a pact with each other that they are staying put in that house to the bitter end. Like I said, they're stubborn and difficult!

•  You're welcome. (5+ / 0-)

I give your parents credit for trying to stay independent, but it is hard on the rest of the family.

Good luck to you - and good health to them.

by Most Awesome Nana on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 11:10:19 AM PST

•  Yes, if an Advantage plan has providers near them (0+ / 0-)

If they can find in-network providers near them, that Advantage alternative may work best. Spouse's mom lost her gap coverage when his ex-union dad died, so we helped her sign up for an Advantage plan. It was MUCH easier for her than all the Medicare paperwork, and gave her some added bennies like vision, and included prescriptions, etc. Aetna, Humana, Anthem, United Healthcare, I think there are several. Find out if their providers and local hospital are in network.

•  My parents and grandmother just moved to (2+ / 0-)
          ladybug53, Most Awesome Nana

Florida. My 89 year old grandmother fell in a rest area parking lot in South Carolina on the way down here last month, fractured her pelvis and has been in a nursing home rehab since. Luckily, my mom had already set up an assisted living facility for her, but trying to get her insurance coverage switched over from Virginia to Florida has been a nightmare.

"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity" Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr..

by mindara on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 08:11:08 PM PST

•  I am sorry to hear that. Hope she is getting (1+ / 0-)
            VA gentlewoman

better. Your Grandmother is lucky to have your Mother to help her.

As long as we have to rely on private insurance companies (even when we have Medicare), we will be subjected to extra aggravation - and usually at a time when we can least cope.

by Most Awesome Nana on Fri Nov 15, 2013 at 05:49:46 AM PST

•  Maybe talk to someone and learn (3+ / 0-)
        Amber6541, chantedor, mindara

how to do an intervention...  This is insane...

I wonder how many millions of elderly people allow Fox News to keep them terrified... needlessly.

IMO, the children of these folks have a duty to enlighten their parents, whatever it takes.

IMO.

"There's always room for cello." Yo Yo Ma

by ceebee7 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 12:40:57 PM PST

•  Believe me, I have tried to enlighten my parents.. (1+ / 0-)
          ladybug53

if it were just my Mom, I'd have a fighting chance, but my step father is a die hard republican and she's the kind of woman who will always take a man's opinion over a woman's. I've learned the hard way, it's not a battle I can win.

by mindara on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 08:14:45 PM PST

•  Your Parents (0+ / 0-)

Just start talking about submitting their names to the local Death Panel;  Of course, they might leave your inheritance to the Junkie Home Health Aide, but life is full of risks.