View Diary: Another reason why Mary Landrieu's bill is a political winner (50 comments)

•  I hope it's at least not entirely (4+ / 0-)

a policy disaster, though. Proposing bad policy because it won't pass is how people rationalize crap like chained CPI.

I'm rather uncomfortable because Merkley has thrown his weight behind the Landrieu bill. First time I've seen him look this centrist. I really want to believe it's not a bad idea, but so far I'm not thrilled.

Code Monkey like freedom / Code Monkey like peace and justice too
    Code Monkey very nerdy man / With big warm fuzzy bleeding heart
    Code Monkey like you!

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

by Code Monkey on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 11:31:19 AM PST

•  Except I'm not sure this is bad policy (6+ / 0-)

Basically, this bill allows people's old insurance plans to get grandfathered in, BUT the insurance company must (1) explain to them why their insurance policy is "non-qualifying" under the ACA (a.k.a. explain why their insurance policy is crap) and (2) tell them they can probably get better coverage, and possibly get a better rate, on the health care exchange.

If anything, this "exception" will educate people on what the ACA is actually doing and do a lot to dispel Republican lies about it.

29, white male, TX-07 (current), TN-09 (born), TN-08 (where parents live now)

by TDDVandy on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 11:40:47 AM PST

•  There are potential pitfalls, though. (0+ / 0-)

We need healthy people to get onto the exchanges or else we get adverse selection. And healthy people are the ones most likely to have cheap crap plans that they want to keep.

I guess it comes down to numbers, really. But anything that jeopardizes getting several million people into the exchanges in their first year could derail the entire ACA. If the actual number of people expected to take “advantage” of the fix and keep their shitty coverage is small enough, then maybe it's okay to be pushing this. But it still worries me (as does the administrative fix, CTTOI).

Code Monkey like freedom / Code Monkey like peace and justice too
        Code Monkey very nerdy man / With big warm fuzzy bleeding heart
        Code Monkey like you!

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

by Code Monkey on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 11:46:37 AM PST

•  But that's the thing (2+ / 0-)
          Code Monkey, Berkeley Fred

The other option is to just let insurance companies drop people's policies and then let Republicans channel that anger into blaming the ACA for the fact that they couldn't keep their insurance policy.

Do you think that those people will enroll in the exchanges?

At least this way, you'll probably at least get some of those people to go see if they can get a better/cheaper policy on the exchange.

29, white male, TX-07 (current), TN-09 (born), TN-08 (where parents live now)

by TDDVandy on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 12:02:56 PM PST

•  It's true. (0+ / 0-)

I'm not sure this is all a bad idea. I'm just nervous.

Code Monkey like freedom / Code Monkey like peace and justice too
            Code Monkey very nerdy man / With big warm fuzzy bleeding heart
            Code Monkey like you!

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

by Code Monkey on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 12:33:38 PM PST

•  I'm still unclear on why... (0+ / 0-)

people should get to keep junk policies at all. If Obama were going to apologize for anything, maybe it should have been, "Sorry for the misunderstanding.  If you like your insurance AND IT MEETS MINIMUM STANDARDS, you are free to keep it."  Even young, healthy people can fall prey to cancer or be involved in a catastrophic accident.  Then, when they show up at the hospital & their junk plan just doesn't cut it, who foots that bill?  The taxpayers.  And, it's not like their policies are being canceled & they have no options.  The open market is there for them to choose from.

•  I'd Love the Option (0+ / 0-)

Healthy people like me would love the chance to buy a policy without maternity, addiction, or mental health services. Without those add ons, the price would be lower and I'd get just the amount of coverage I need.

•  And without it, Republicans will keep dragging (2+ / 0-)
        TheChocolateChips, TDDVandy

poor "victims" of ObamaCare who are losing their beloved insurance policy in front of the cameras for the next year.

“The future depends entirely on what each of us does every day.” Gloria Steinem

by ahumbleopinion on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 11:48:33 AM PST

•  I'm Worried: The Policy is Risky (1+ / 0-)
      Code Monkey

The people who keep their old substandard policies won't be participating in the exchanges. This could cause a revenue shortfall for the participating insurance companies. In response to the shortfall, insurance companies will sharply raise their premiums, and the whole ACA could unravel. However, I think Obama has to take this chance because not only is his credibility is on the line, but the credibility of the whole law is on the line.