View Diary: I Sing of Arms, and the Van... (23 comments)

•  No great loss to the planet (7+ / 0-)

Just about the most dangerous vehicle ever put on the road. In a frontal collision your legs are the first line of defense.

Great story, however. Glad you made it out alive.

If the pilot's good, see, I mean if he's reeeally sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... oh you oughta see it sometime. It's a sight. A big plane like a '52... varrrooom! Its jet exhaust... frying chickens in the barnyard!

by Major Kong on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 12:30:56 PM PST

•  I experience a lot of retro-fear (5+ / 0-)

thinking back on my youth inside VW vans. And outside of them too, come to think of it.

When you put a sign up next to a freeway, people will read it until someone takes it down.

by freewayblogger on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 12:39:22 PM PST

•  Not so , (3+ / 0-)
      freewayblogger, JeffW, RiveroftheWest

the most dangerous vehicle is the corvette .
      The safest is the volvo wagon .
      Put the volvo driver in the corvette and the corvette becomes much much safer .

The forward control vehicle design is thought to be to dangerous and the corvette design is thought to be ok .
      Its a funny world .

I drove a corvette , I went to pass a truck , I stepped lightly on the gas and the back end was all over the road , I was not happy .

I drive a Vanagon .

"please love deeply...openly and genuinely." A. M. H.

by indycam on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 01:05:04 PM PST

•  Tough to compare (3+ / 0-)
        JeffW, freewayblogger, RiveroftheWest

You have to factor out driver input, which is a big factor with any statistic involving sports cars. People frequently buy them to drive a certain way, and the demographic that's most likely to drive recklessly is drawn to these sort of vehicles.

I'm no fan of the Corvette, but if I had to face a front-end collision and my only two choices are Corvette or a micro-bus I'd take the Corvette.

It at least has a crumple-zone versus my feet being six inches behind a mostly cosmetic front bumper.

by Major Kong on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 01:33:54 PM PST

•  Its not tough to compare . (2+ / 0-)
          RiveroftheWest, JeffW

Death per 100,000 miles is reality .

I already said that .
          Put the volvo driver in the corvette and the corvette becomes much much safer .
          A crumple zone that is crumpled is not safer than a non crumple zone that is never crumpled .

"please love deeply...openly and genuinely." A. M. H.

by indycam on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 02:03:26 PM PST

•  and that's why traction control is so popular (1+ / 0-)
        RiveroftheWest

I like the new launch cycle on the Viper iirc, it only uses traction control on initial launch in 1st up to 60mph then you have to be able to handle a high performance clutch properly....

Vaya con Dios Don Alejo
        I want to die a slave to principles. Not to men.
        Emiliano Zapata