View Diary: Daily Kos Elections open thread: LA-05 general election (43 comments)

•  That is what I am advocating (1+ / 0-)
    stevenaxelrod

IMHO weekend voting would lead to more people being able to vote. More people have the time to vote on a weekend than on a weekday.

Vote Democratic. We're not perfect-but they're NUTS! - Barney Frank

by Minnesota Mike on Sat Nov 16, 2013 at 07:09:45 PM PST

•  I don't think you understand (1+ / 0-)
      sapelcovits

Orthodox Jews are prohibited by their religion from doing anything considered to be "work" on Saturdays. Voting is considered to be work. Therefore, Orthodox Jews cannot, I repeat, cannot vote on Saturdays.

Unless you're okay with disenfranchising this whole group of people, I don't see how you can support moving Election Day to a Saturday.

Is it because you don't like how Orthodox Jews vote? Personally, I'm not a big fan of how they vote either, but to me that really doesn't matter, because I strongly believe that more people voting, and higher turnout, is always good.

We could (and probably should) have early voting the weekend before the election, and probably the weekend before that as well. But Election Day should definitely stay on a Tuesday.

(-8.38, -4.72), CT-02 (home), ME-01 (college) "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." -Spock

by ProudNewEnglander on Sat Nov 16, 2013 at 07:17:46 PM PST

•  How do other countries deal with this? (2+ / 0-)
        jncca, demreplib33

My impression was that most countries vote on weekends, even though, as you pointed out earlier, "those are the days of rest in Islam, Judaism, and Christianity".

•  I have nothing against any religious group (3+ / 0-)
        jncca, Zack from the SFV, HoosierD42

If anyone can not vote on a particular day for any reason they should have the option of Absentee/Early voting but IMHO voting should occur on a day when it is easiest for the most people to vote and IMO that would be over a weekend.

Vote Democratic. We're not perfect-but they're NUTS! - Barney Frank

by Minnesota Mike on Sat Nov 16, 2013 at 07:30:11 PM PST

•  I guess the thing is (0+ / 0-)

that I don't believe that the day on which this country votes is responsible for our problems with turnout. It seems to me that voting on Tuesday has become so ingrained in our culture that any attempt to move Election Day to a different day might actually result in lower turnout. Voting on Tuesday is almost like a tradition, one that, in my view, does not have any negative effects. As I see it, if it's not broke, why fix it?

So basically, I'm not convinced that moving Election Day to a weekend would actually result in higher turnout. I believe that early voting, same-day voter registration, and optional (but not mandatory) mail-in ballots would have a much greater positive impact on turnout.

by ProudNewEnglander on Sat Nov 16, 2013 at 07:40:46 PM PST

•  Can't they vote after sundown (4+ / 0-)
        jncca, BeloitDem, LordMike, Marcus Graly

since that's the next day on the Jewish calendar? It would mean keeping the polls open a bit late in the South, admittedly.

Male, 23, -4.75/-6.92, born and raised TN-05, now WI-02. "You're damn right we're making a difference!" - Senator Tammy Baldwin (D-Wisconsin)

by fearlessfred14 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 at 07:41:22 PM PST

•  It's a bit ludicrous (4+ / 0-)

to suggest that we should base what day Election Day is on on Orthodox Judaism (a fraction of 1.71% of the USA's population) in a country with a foundational document that prohibits official recognition of religion.

As Mike said, there are multiple accommodations that can be made so Orthodox Jews don't have to violate their religious beliefs, and the other 99+% of us have a better opportunity to vote.

25, Practical Progressive Democratic Socialist (-9.38, -8.51), Gay, IN-02 - Defeat Wacky Jackie!

by HoosierD42 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 at 03:12:32 AM PST

•  Keep polls open minimum two hours past sundown (2+ / 0-)
        CF of Aus, jncca

(which should only require extra hours in mid-summer special elections.)

That, plus early and absentee voting should solve the problem.