View Diary: The 8th Doctor regenerates! (79 comments)

•  Thanks SF, I enjoyed the flic (2+ / 0-)
    RiveroftheWest, shortfinals

I've been going thru the Torchwood back episodes on "On Demand"  Good stuff, but it leaves me wondering; why did we get stuck with Tom Cruise and the Brits got John Barrowman?

“that our civil rights have no dependence on our religious opinions, any more than our opinions in physics or geometry.” Thomas Jefferson

by markdd on Fri Nov 15, 2013 at 09:36:03 PM PST

•  Well, I think that Barrowman enjoyed the artistic (2+ / 0-)
      RiveroftheWest, markdd

freedom in the UK, to do things on TV over there, that he could NOT do on mainstream TV over here!

Plus, we didn't need another small person jumping on couches!

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

by shortfinals on Sat Nov 16, 2013 at 06:55:26 AM PST

•  He is also half-Scottish, so that makes it MUCH... (3+ / 0-)
        RiveroftheWest, shortfinals, markdd

... easier for him to work there!

I recall seeing an interview where he talked about himself being a little boy in Scotland, watching the original Doctor Who series ... and suddenly he broke into a completely authentic Scottish accent.

•  There is an unusual amount of freedom (2+ / 0-)
        shortfinals, RiveroftheWest

There's a lot more American cursing going on, without bleeping.  Eve Myles can deliver a lot more meaning with a single 'shit', than 10 minutes of bleeping on other shows.

I've seen Capt. Jack described as omnisexual,  He certainly gets to go further than any American show would allow.

I was hoping he wasn't the couch jumping sort, And a 6' he's noticeably taller than Cruise.  And as a middle aged straight guy, I'll say he's a lot better looking...

by markdd on Sat Nov 16, 2013 at 05:13:51 PM PST

•  Talking of Barrowman, he appears in the ... (2+ / 0-)
          RiveroftheWest, markdd

Tenth Doctor's 'farewell' sequence (starting about 3.13)

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

by shortfinals on Sat Nov 16, 2013 at 06:11:17 PM PST

•  A lot to wade thru there (2+ / 0-)
            shortfinals, RiveroftheWest

I still don't get all the references.  Course I've only seen about 12 of the 40 some odd David Tennant Doctors...

by markdd on Sat Nov 16, 2013 at 09:43:12 PM PST

•  True....but the family centered around ... (2+ / 0-)
              RiveroftheWest, markdd

Wilfred Mott (Bernard Cribbins) the grandfather of Donna Noble is probably the most significant. Bernard Cribbins is the ONLY actor to appear with the Daleks on both TV AND film! He is a really grand person, and an ex-Paratrooper !

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

by shortfinals on Sat Nov 16, 2013 at 10:15:55 PM PST

•  I've seen 2 or 3 episodes (2+ / 0-)
                shortfinals, RiveroftheWest

with Mott, He's one of the references I don't get.  In his final scene with the Doctor; the Doctor hands him an envelope (with what I'm sure is a winning lottery ticket) and says he never carries money, but he borrowed a bob from Jeff [missed the last name] and Mott's daughter makes a face and covers her mouth.

Mott's become my favorite grandfather, followed closely by Brian Williams (Rory's father aka Arthur Weasley)

by markdd on Sat Nov 16, 2013 at 11:51:33 PM PST

•  The Doctor says that he had borrowed a 'quid'... (2+ / 0-)
                  RiveroftheWest, markdd

..which is slang for one Pound Sterling (quid MAY be derived form the Latin), from Geoff Noble. One pound is the cost of a National Lottery ticket. This is what caused Sylvia Noble to gasp (as that was the name of her late husband); in actuality, the actor who played this part - Howard Attfield - had died in 2007, so HIS future role was re-written for Bernard Cribbins to play as Sylvia's father (and the grandfather of Donna Noble)

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

by shortfinals on Sun Nov 17, 2013 at 06:47:00 AM PST

•  Live and learn. (2+ / 0-)
                    RiveroftheWest, shortfinals

I'm trying to catch up.  I'm on 9th Doctor, episode 6.  I noticed that John Barrowman got a Captain Jack credit, But I didn't see him...

by markdd on Sun Nov 17, 2013 at 12:17:43 PM PST