View Diary: Saturday Morning Garden Blogging Vol. 9.39 (219 comments)

•  wait!!! (4+ / 0-)

does this mean you did pay your 4 bucks and that will be it, but you WILL get the remainder of your pill amount WITHOUT being further charged??!!!

damn, 'stix.  You are not being difficult at all.  Maybe we are all getting crotchety!!  But these days it seems you HAVE to speak up.

When I went to fill a prescription that was based on my worker's comp case (my knees), the pharmacy that had been filling this prescription like since LAST YEAR said, oh.  It's not going through.  It says your case is denied.

I'm like really??  I just came from the dr!  Wouldn't he have told me my case was denied??

They said there was nothing they could do and I should check with my job insurer (for worker's comp that would then be Dept of Labor).  I go back to work the following day and ask my HR person to please check on my case.  She tells me everything is okay in my file, nothing is closed out.

BUT... it's now Nov 1 and the people at the Dept of Labor that deals with this stuff have been furloughed.

eeek.

Three weeks later, I get a call from the pharmacy telling me I still haven't picked up my prescription!  I explain that I hadn't picked it up because they said my case was closed.  I asked if it still was showing that it was rejecting my claim through worker's comp and said I know my case is currently open.

The person on the phone tells me that yes, it isn't going through as a worker's comp claim.  But she at least patches me through to the pharmacist.  The pharmacist tries to send the payment through (electronically) and tells me it's still coming back as rejected, but am I going to pick up the prescription?  So I asked her - are you putting this through with my claim number??  She tells me the number they're using.  Somehow, someone started to plug in my SS#... duh... so that's why it was being rejected!

Happily for me, the pharmacist put through my claim number and everything was fine.

bleh.  at least I got mine straightened out.  Hopefully you will be fine tomorrow!!!

All the suffering of this world arises from a wrong attitude.The world is neither good or bad. It is only the relation to our ego that makes it seem the one or the other - Lama Anagorika Govinda

by kishik on Thu Nov 21, 2013 at 05:29:26 PM PST

•  The last time I went (4+ / 0-)

online to renew my thyroid medication, I discovered all kinds of wrong information on my pharmacy account.  Different birthdate, different medications.

Turns out, a new customer with the same name as mine went to a different location and rather than create a new account for her, they commandeered mine!

The only thing we had in common was a name.  Our birth dates were vastly different, our addresses were at least 50 miles apart, our medications and prescribers were totally different.  With all that, some doofus decided my account must have been hers and updated my information to match hers.

At least the pharmacist I was dealing with took ownership of straightening out the mess and followed through on it, didn't just kick it to some corporate office where it probably would have gotten lost forever.

•  That is a horror story. (4+ / 0-)
        kishik, Missys Brother, welso, jayden

I hope it wasn't intentional and the other woman couldn't get anything through your insurance or stick you with the bill.

Oh, the latest at all the doctor's offices around here is they demand photo ID and then they take a picture of you! Desperate times, I guess fraud and trickery are not unheard of.

What about the climate cliff?

by wayoutinthestix on Thu Nov 21, 2013 at 06:17:40 PM PST

•  I don't think (1+ / 0-)
          jayden

it was intentional; just stupidity.

At the time it happened, the pharmacy didn't have my insurance information, so at least there wasn't that complication to it!

I can't believe the photo ID requirements you described!  That's the first I've heard of that practice.

Where I go, the most annoying thing is how many times they take a copy of my insurance card.  They took it when I had my annual exam in July, then again when I went for my mammogram.

Then when it was time for my colonoscopy, they said I could register online to skip that step when I showed up in person.  So I registered online, and part of the process was verifying my insurance information, typing in information from the card.

But when I showed up the day of the appointment, they wanted all the same stuff again, including a copy of my insurance card! I told the person I had registered online already, and she insisted she still had to do it anyway! Grr.

Oh, and here's a thing I thought was weird.  When registering online, there was a section that listed doctors who should be given a copy of the results.  My primary care physician was listed as expected ... but so was some random cardiologist in Phoenix! I have no clue who that doctor was or why she was associated with my medical records in any way!  Of course, I deleted her.  Only time will tell whether she'll resurface...

•  There is only one thyroid medication (4+ / 0-)
        kishik, Missys Brother, welso, jayden

on the Walmart 4 buck list -- levothyroxine -- but it comes in a bunch of different strengths. I always take the list with me to appts, and ask the doctor to pick something off the list, if possible.

What about the climate cliff?

by wayoutinthestix on Thu Nov 21, 2013 at 06:34:32 PM PST

•  Two different medications (4+ / 0-)
      welso, kishik, Missys Brother, jayden

The 4 buck one is paid for and completely filled. The short order one is not on the 4 dollar list but I already paid the insurance co-pays before I discovered the error so I'm really at their mercy and word to replace the missing pills. I never did get the written short order notification. :(

The same drugstore told me a few years back when I went to pick up refills that my insurance had been rejected and was probably cancelled!!! I nearly had a stroke on the spot. I raced home and called the insurance company, it was fine, the dopey drugstore employee had entered the number wrong.

I try to be lenient. I know people make mistakes, but I really bristle when the customer has to figure out what went wrong and how to fix it.

What about the climate cliff?

by wayoutinthestix on Thu Nov 21, 2013 at 06:03:09 PM PST

•  Next time (3+ / 0-)
        wayoutinthestix, jayden, welso

(if there IS a next time - gods, hopefully not) MAKE them write something on your receipt.  that you don't owe them a damn thing!

Is this place nearby enough that it's not an inconvenience to go to?

Believe me, I'm one of those that is always cutting people a break, but there's always the BREAKING point for anyone.  Even me.  Even you!

Don't feel bad.  Especially with pharmacies, they have to remember they are holding peoples healthcare in their hands.  Really.

This is how cracked things have been with healthcare - some years ago, I was really having serious problems with allergies and it was hitting my eyes.  The dr prescribed eyedrops.  I go.  The pharmacy calls me and tells me that the drops will cost me $80!!!  I was like WHAT?  (i didn't have prescription co-pay)

I hike over there (drove... with my eyes still crappy) and thankfully the guy (really like a kid!) was very very patient.  He was calling my insurance like 10 times (because he got cut off like 8 times as he was going through their damn automated system).  He was trying everything just to get a REAL person.  The pharmacist came out at one point to find out what the heck was going on... then realized the kid was handling well. (which told me that they go through this kind of stuff often)  HALF hour later (just standing around while he struggled with getting confirmation of some sort on the phone), he was able to get a real person, the insurance issue was straightened out, and the drops then cost me (still) $25.  it was like the smallest bottle in the world.

And you know?  NOW that damn stuff is available for $12 OTC!!

wtf is with that?

by kishik on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 05:55:57 AM PST

•  Don't get me started! (3+ / 0-)
          jayden, kishik, welso

Trying to make as much profit as possible on medications people have to take is obscene.

What about the climate cliff?

by wayoutinthestix on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 06:14:54 AM PST

•  Location (3+ / 0-)
          jayden, kishik, welso

Actually Walmart and and two major chains are closer than the independent pharmacy.

What about the climate cliff?

by wayoutinthestix on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 06:23:20 AM PST

•  I always always... (3+ / 0-)
            jayden, wayoutinthestix, welso

try to support local businesses... but at some point if this keeps happening, think of somewhere else.

What I like about local businesses is that usually the good ones?  They REMEMBER you.

even at the chain pharmacy I go to, I pretty much see the same people and they do somewhat remember me (i'm the one with worker's comp case).

My own local pharmacy, the guy finally packed it in and retired!  So now it's like I had no other choice but to go with a chain... there simply wasn't any other local ones around.

I know I'm pretty much a creature of habit.  I do visit and shop at the same stores - and I like to get to know the people who work in them!  And even at chain stores with the same employees, if they are good with customers, it is what brings people back, at least me!

it's rainy today!!  Can't believe it!!!  Hawk up in the sky, hunting...

by kishik on Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 06:52:12 AM PST